pictures to lift the heart

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit early in the seasons for wasp attacks but I'm certain this was a queen wasp, she was huge. Was in the hive as I opened up and watched the bees chase her down the frames a couple times until eventually they started balling her.

View attachment 18155

What a lucky sight to see in action. Great photo!

Poppy

attachment.php

Attachments

• DE16F838-65B9-4B18-8C87-AEC0E64DF021.jpeg
    DE16F838-65B9-4B18-8C87-AEC0E64DF021.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 164
Not a bee photo but took this when camping in Leatherwood country earlier in the year and hope it is at least calming to the eye. World Heritage area near Lake Pedder. Yes....our swans are black....it is the Antipodes after all! Completely uninhabited.

Attachments

• P1050410.JPG
    P1050410.JPG
    993.6 KB · Views: 49
Not a bee photo but took this when camping in Leatherwood country earlier in the year and hope it is at least calming to the eye. World Heritage area near Lake Pedder. Yes....our swans are black....it is the Antipodes after all! Completely uninhabited.

That's a post card picture, your very lucky to be able to camp in such a location.
Lovely picture.

My eye is well calmed! beautiful
E

Here's one of our black Cayuga ducks

Attachments

• 20200729_165244.jpg
    20200729_165244.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 33
terrific Gilberdyke....I've not ever seen one of those before! Lovely sheen.

terrific Gilberdyke....I've not ever seen one of those before! Lovely sheen.

We hatched some Cayuga eggs from eBay a few years ago and ended up with two drakes One morning I went out in the yard and one was up near the gate to the road. After a bit of herding about and catching I got it back in the duck pen only to realize we now had three black ducks :coolgleamA: the new one turned out to be female and things carried on from there. No idea where the extra came from. No one in the village keeps Cayugas, they don't fly, so it's been a puzzle ever since that day. Fortunately she produced eggs which with the avid assistance of the drakes were fertile.
Drakes are not fussy about what they mate with and our chickens were often subject to unwanted attention until her arrivaL.
We've incubated eggs since and built up a small flock of laying ducks with a few Drakes. My son sold hatching eggs on eBay for a while until a fox got in and decimated the flock. We are down to just a duck and a Drake now but put a few eggs in the incubator last weekend in the hope of expanding again

"We hatched some Cayuga eggs from eBay a few years ago and ended up with two drakes One morning I went out in the yard and one was up near the gate to the road. After a bit of herding about and catching I got it back in the duck pen only to realize we now had three black ducks"

That's funny! Handsome fellow.

Luckily we don't have foxes on our island....yet

Looked at a bit of the garden this evening and thought, hmm, not bad!

Attachments

• 9C315901-CFC4-4760-BB86-3F5704B1EEE5.jpeg
    9C315901-CFC4-4760-BB86-3F5704B1EEE5.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
These pictures are lovely. Keep them coming. I might do a BKF calendar out if some. Something to do during the next lockdown ;)

Latest posts

Back