Oxalic Acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They'll likely ban sales of rhubarb root next. I'm worried that I will need a licence to transplant a few roots in the garden.
When they realise strawberries are high in oxalic acid Wimbledon will have to get a poisons licence!

I think, (and I stress that I am not an expert in animal product legislation, just human), that it should be possible to apply for a license to use OA (without fairy dust) as a treatment for varroa through existing data (as a bibliographic application). Plenty of reported evidence and its not a new entity, so should reduce or eliminate need for additional expensive trials to prove efficacy. Should fit under the MU/MS system (Minor Species/Minor Use) guidance. Its still not cheap though, and there is an ongoing cost to support the regulatory submission once on market (annual submissions, pharmacovigilance etc). It would cost one 5K to get a scientific meeting with the VMD to discuss the options, and 30K to just submit a dossier for review, without anyone collating / authoring the application.

What has stopped a veterinary medicines producer doing this up to now is that there is no intellectual property to prevent other manufacturers using the initial submission as an access point to market, together with, until now, free availability of OA from any old source. This gives limited to no potential for a return on the investment involved to get to market as it stands. However If OA price skyrockets due to restricted availability, then it might just make sense for a company / organization to promote this, or at least look at feasibility.

5K to get a scientific meeting with the VMD to discuss the options, and 30K to just submit a dossier
sh!t, if that's all it takes, I'll collect all my loose change tomorrow and check how much I've got left in the sock under the mattress after I've had the truck repaired!!

sh!t, if that's all it takes, I'll collect all my loose change tomorrow and check how much I've got left in the sock under the mattress after I've had the truck repaired!!
Crowd funding by a few thousand beekeepers would have that sum within a week or so.

How many active uk members do we have?.....
What we need is a beekeeper with some Veterinary knowledge who is young enough to spend years battling the authorities to get it though the registrations - preferably one who would enjoy the prospect of earning a few quid, eventually selling repacked generic OA at a reasonable margin to thousands of beekeepers who are already breaking the rules and would be pleased to buy a legitimate product at a fair price...perhaps someone who has already dabbled into beekeeping supply with a few hives under their belt and some free time, proximity to London might help ...

Argyle enterprises is too old for that much effort - I'll stick to bee leg warmers and tin foil hats and I've no veterinary experience. I'd chuck my few quid into a crowd fund though ...

Anyone on here fit the bill ...

There are over 2000 people on line at the moment - yes, there are a lot of bots but it gives you an indication of the potential for fund raising....
If half supported it then at £35000 it would take £35 each (for starters), sadly I don't see it happening, though I am a bit interested.

If half supported it then at £35000 it would take £35 each (for starters), sadly I don't see it happening, though I am a bit interested.
That 2000 is just the sad people who are on line, on here, on a Monday night at 10.00pm ! There are over 10,000 forum members ...

But crowd funding exposed to the wider UK beekeeping community ? It's feasible to raise the required funding ... all the rest that is required .. that's another thing.

Latest posts

Back