Duration of Oxalic Acid on Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
Sorry if already posted. Experiment by Randy Oliver on dead bees exposed to different delivery methods & additives to Oxalic acid. He measured the ‘acidity levels’. Adding sugar caused the acidity to rapidly decline- think Api Bioxal. Vaporisation persisted the longest 90% at 4 days.

Attachments

• IMG_9339.png
    IMG_9339.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
So, excuse my ignorance, but is it better for the acidity to last longer or not?

Researches made from dribbling mixture of oxalic acid has been made over 20 years ago. Since then method has been used.

Dribbling works when the colony does not have capped brood.

What is Randy Oliver now researching?

Problem in California, where Randy Oliver lives, is that the day temp on area may be 25C September. Randy has not got good results from trickling.

As you know gasification of oxalic acid has given good results. This method and its variations has become now popular in Finland too.

So, excuse my ignorance, but is it better for the acidity to last longer or not?
Well the popular theory is that it enters the mite through its feet and then moves into the bloodstream and disrupts its metabolism, seems to be a 'physical' thing so I reckon the longer the acidity lasts, the longer it blasts the mite population. So a good thing....probably.

Alas as we are all using the only licenced OA treatment flavoured with sugar shorter intervals may be required.
if you are following the guidelines on 'licenced' OA, then you should only be using it once - if you multiple vape with it, you are still in breach of the regulations so you may as well save some money and use the good stuff

Alas as we are all using the only licenced OA treatment flavoured with sugar shorter intervals may be required.
:giggle:
Keeping meticulous treatment records for five years is also becoming tedious and has almost filled my filing cabinet....;)

Latest posts

Back