Advice re honey bees NON bee keeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melody

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi.
This may be slightly of topic especially as I am not and not looking to keep bees. This is my first thread apart from leaving a message in new member part. As I mentioned there, I need advice on Honey bees.

First of all I am 99% sure they are honey bees.
My problem is that they are in my compost bin and though I've learnt a lot about them. I cant find out any information as to whether I should and how to help them stay warm, apart from how beekeepers do it with traditional beekeeping type structures, including preparing them for winter (so even then it's way too late to do that).
I'm concerned for them and if I can help them seen as they are not in a ready made hive I'd really like to do all I can.

The compost bin which obviously is not now used for compost - though it was in the very early stages of becoming one, was made so from a tall plastic garden recycle bin (never used mind you), the type with a lid and wheels. I simply added random holes in the sides with a drill and cut a small opening at the bottom of the front panel (in the center), which has a piece of wood up against it - originally to prevent any future compost from falling out, though the bees moved in way before any compost had the chance to develop and they now have priority.

Today I notice the lid was slightly open - I'd say maybe an inch (when they where active I was forever watching and still look out to check, though not as often due to them staying inside. I am certain the lid was never that open.

On investigation some small branches/twigs where lodged under the handle (on the lid of the bin), attached to a larger branch which was kind of wedged on the side of the bin. How this happened I don't know, though I'm assuming it must have been the wind that some how caused the branch to lodge and as a result the lateral branches becoming stuck under the handle then the force of the wind caused the lid to lift slightly. It has been and is still very windy, so much so that some peoples fences have blown away.

So what with the winter and the holes in the bin they must be finding it hard to stay warm.
I removed the branch and closed the lid, I noticed rather a lot of bees dead around the outside of the lid (which I am now presuming are the drones?, only due to my very recent basic knowledge).

I was brave enough to have a quick peak and there for the first time I saw this gorgeous honey comb....then I felt a sadness as I didn't see much else and the top part of the honey comb looked slightly collapsed/deteriorated, thinking they must all be dead, trying to console myself "oh maybe they just left"...then I saw deep inside the comb all these little bee not buzzing but quivering/shivering (guessing this is how they all keep the Queen warm) and maybe the comb looked that way due to them using it up.

All this happened within seconds and as I said its the first time I've actually looked inside, it was then I realised how closed to the top the comb was, I cant help thinking they must be cold.
Kind of panicked thinking what to do, in doing so I put some tarpaulin type fabric over the bin, which is silver one side black on the other.
So getting to the point
- is this the right thing to do?
- If so should it be darker side up (as in showing to us)
- Should i tie it to bin with string, like 3 lots - top, middle and bottom.
- What about heat inside, I'm worried if they warm up too much they'll get active and in trying to exit hit the cover and not be able to get out, seen as they will already likely to be on energy reserves - would this cause fatalities.
- If covering is right thing to do, how do i do it and how often should I if at all lift cover?
- When should I remove the cover all together?
Having said this its the end of Jan now, so its feasible to think the worst weather is over.
Oh i'm rambling... I just don't know what to do for the best.

Just in case this help anyone to help me following is some information on the actual temperatures predicted for my area. All in Celsius.
The Min/Max it has been so far this Jan in my area: Day 4, Night -1.
Today 28th: temp - Day 13, Night 8.

Temperatures predicted for the remainder of this month (which vary across the days/nights)are as follows:
Day - Min 7, Max 13.
Night - Min 2, Max 8.

February 2018:
Day Min 4, Max 13.
Night Min -1, Max 8.

March 2018:
Day - Min 8, Max 13.
Night - Min 0, Max 5.

April 2018:
Day- Min 12, Max 15.
Night - Min 2, Max 7.

Any advice would be really great, I'd rather avoid bothering them, if possible. I really don't want to upset them or cause them any distress.
I understand how important Bees are to us and that we need to take more care of the environments in which they thrive.
I am aware there is a rapid decline in their population and feel blessed to have them in my garden.
Oh something totally off topic but feel I'd like to mention. There was another wonderful thing that happened in my garden - I watched a pairing of pigeons bring a baby pigeon up, right from them courting - to nesting. Now the baby pigeons local hang out is my apple tree.
Sorry this post is so long.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Melody!

Sounds like they could well be honey bees if you saw bees and comb mid winter.

The best thing to do is to probably contact your nearest association as then you might be able to get an actual human being to come out and assess the situation.

http://www.hertsbees.org.uk

here above is a link to some Hertfordshire associations, contact your nearest.

You're right to avoid bothering them as much as possible, but if you can, without any sort of interference, increase their shelter (if it is indeed drastically less than optimal)... but some vaguely experienced help might be helpful.

If you have (or can take without interfering) some pictures then people on this forum love to see what is being talked about. But just take a picture from a distance so people have a good idea of what you're talking about. (if you have trouble posting pictures then you might need to up your post count and I also recommend getting the Tapatalk pro app for your phone or tablet which will make posting photos infinitely easier).

Good luck! Welcome to the beekeeping rabbit hole!

B

Hi.
This may be slightly of topic especially as I am not and not looking to keep bees. This is my first thread apart from leaving a message in new member part. As I mentioned there, I need advice on Honey bees.

First of all I am 99% sure they are honey bees.
My problem is that they are in my compost bin and though I've learnt a lot about them. I cant find out any information as to whether I should and how to help them stay warm, apart from how beekeepers do it with traditional beekeeping type structures, including preparing them for winter (so even then it's way too late to do that).
I'm concerned for them and if I can help them seen as they are not in a ready made hive I'd really like to do all I can.

The compost bin which obviously is not now used for compost - though it was in the very early stages of becoming one, was made so from a tall plastic garden recycle bin (never used mind you), the type with a lid and wheels. I simply added random holes in the sides with a drill and cut a small opening at the bottom of the front panel (in the center), which has a piece of wood up against it - originally to prevent any future compost from falling out, though the bees moved in way before any compost had the chance to develop and they now have priority.

Today I notice the lid was slightly open - I'd say maybe an inch (when they where active I was forever watching and still look out to check, though not as often due to them staying inside. I am certain the lid was never that open.

On investigation some small branches/twigs where lodged under the handle (on the lid of the bin), attached to a larger branch which was kind of wedged on the side of the bin. How this happened I don't know, though I'm assuming it must have been the wind that some how caused the branch to lodge and as a result the lateral branches becoming stuck under the handle then the force of the wind caused the lid to lift slightly. It has been and is still very windy, so much so that some peoples fences have blown away.

So what with the winter and the holes in the bin they must be finding it hard to stay warm.
I removed the branch and closed the lid, I noticed rather a lot of bees dead around the outside of the lid (which I am now presuming are the drones?, only due to my very recent basic knowledge).

I was brave enough to have a quick peak and there for the first time I saw this gorgeous honey comb....then I felt a sadness as I didn't see much else and the top part of the honey comb looked slightly collapsed/deteriorated, thinking they must all be dead, trying to console myself "oh maybe they just left"...then I saw deep inside the comb all these little bee not buzzing but quivering/shivering (guessing this is how they all keep the Queen warm) and maybe the comb looked that way due to them using it up.

All this happened within seconds and as I said its the first time I've actually looked inside, it was then I realised how closed to the top the comb was, I cant help thinking they must be cold.
Kind of panicked thinking what to do, in doing so I put some tarpaulin type fabric over the bin, which is silver one side black on the other.
So getting to the point
- is this the right thing to do?
- If so should it be darker side up (as in showing to us)
- Should i tie it to bin with string, like 3 lots - top, middle and bottom.
- What about heat inside, I'm worried if they warm up too much they'll get active and in trying to exit hit the cover and not be able to get out, seen as they will already likely to be on energy reserves - would this cause fatalities.
- If covering is right thing to do, how do i do it and how often should I if at all lift cover?
- When should I remove the cover all together?
Having said this its the end of Jan now, so its feasible to think the worst weather is over.
Oh i'm rambling... I just don't know what to do for the best.

Just in case this help anyone to help me following is some information on the actual temperatures predicted for my area. All in Celsius.
The Min/Max it has been so far this Jan in my area: Day 4, Night -1.
Today 28th: temp - Day 13, Night 8.

Temperatures predicted for the remainder of this month (which vary across the days/nights)are as follows:
Day - Min 7, Max 13.
Night - Min 2, Max 8.

February 2018:
Day Min 4, Max 13.
Night Min -1, Max 8.

March 2018:
Day - Min 8, Max 13.
Night - Min 0, Max 5.

April 2018:
Day- Min 12, Max 15.
Night - Min 2, Max 7.

Any advice would be really great, I'd rather avoid bothering them, if possible. I really don't want to upset them or cause them any distress.
I understand how important Bees are to us and that we need to take more care of the environments in which they thrive.
I am aware there is a rapid decline in their population and feel blessed to have them in my garden.
Oh something totally off topic but feel I'd like to mention. There was another wonderful thing that happened in my garden - I watched a pairing of pigeons bring a baby pigeon up, right from them courting - to nesting. Now the baby pigeons local hang out is my apple tree.
Sorry this post is so long.
Thanks in advance.

I'd hazard a guess the wind has caused the lid to flap somewhat and the debris entered by the same wind effects. Hopefully your actions have resulted in the lid closing effectively again to keep the heat in and rain out. Put a weight such as a couple of bricks on top to stop further effects.
As already suggested get a local beeper to look to confirm they are honeybees.
I would give a bit more heat insulation such as wrapping some loft insulation or even a blanket or old duvet round the top part and over the lid then your tarpaulin to keep it dry. if bees need to go out they'll use one of the side holes. A local beekeeper can take it from there.

Hi,
So nice to see you care so much. Main priority is to keep them dry, second priority not knowing what condition they are in is to keep them warm. A good indicator is that when the temperature hits 10 degrees they should be flying to some extent. Finally you need to get hold of a local bee keeper whom will be able to remove them fairly easily in the spring. If you want they will probably let you keep them in a hive in your garden at least for a while so you can watch them. I would do that if you were close to me. But they can easily remove them to another site if you want. You have done everything right and the bees will be grateful. Don't go poking round in there as they can be a little defensive if they feel threatened.
Finally let us know what happens, we all like an end to the story, preferably a happy one
E

What a nice and sensible person you are. Hope all turns out well and you can enjoy bee watching through the year to come. Best wishes.

Hear Hear ... too many people with bees in compost bins panic and want rid of them .. some good advice in the earlier posts. Stick with it and get a beekeeper to sort them out later in the spring ...

Here's a compost bin cut out I did ... Bees seem to like compost bins but they are not ideal hives.

Attachments

• Will this lid fit that box .jpg
    Will this lid fit that box .jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 44
first of all thank you for taking the time and trouble to tell us this story, and for making such an effort to do the right thing for a wild colony of bees,

i hope there is a successful outcome, if you can contact a local beekeeper and nurture them with their assistance, im sure you will be greatly rewarded this is a fascinating subject :thanks:

Wonderful to read such a caring post. Make sure the lid is on tightly and wait until you see activity, they'll be snug enough in there.

You could always try putting a hot water tank jacket over them and some sort of shelter over that. I hope they are OK till spring when they can be moved properly.

Latest posts

Back