Oxalic Acid vaporizer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as the one in the link only used once and i also have a new small 12v battery and charger £100 collected.

Ressurecting an old one, bought a vapouriser on eBay , 3 capes and went wallop !

Need to get a Varrox , seems to be the best option.

Any ideas where to source ?

For those of you with paynes polys and entrance blocks with the mouse guard holes , i find that the sublimox pipe fits nicely into the hole leaving the device to stand on its own "haunches" pretty stble on the landing board, allowing one to retreat for the 30s or so of inital vapourisation. In practice i have found that the guts of the vapourisation happens in the first ten seconds.
I am able to string 3 x 50m extension cables to the apiary so it was a no- brainer for the > 20 hives set up i have.
My first round trip took about an hour for 22 hives but i have now got that down to about 30 mins with confidence and practice. The next day or so does see a few corpses deposited on the landing board so whatever anyone says, there are casualties. I like to think these are the weaker bees or maybe those too exposed to the hot stream of vapour emanating from the nozzle. Nvertheless the huge drop i have seen this year, just two months after MAQs, reinforces my belief in the treatment and casts doubt on maqs.
How the colony counts goes heading into Spring will be interesting.
In retrospect i now wonder how much winter varroa has really affected my colonies and am now keeping a closer eye on the counting boards.
Being an ex medic with an interest in chest medicine i have invested in a good quality full face mask with the appropriate filter and find it fantastic with no fogging and i soon forget i have it on.

Last edited:
Gas Powered Vaporizer

Hi,
Has anyone seen a gas powered vaporizer?

Thanks
Kiwiuk

Hi,
Has anyone seen a gas powered vaporizer?

Thanks
Kiwiuk

Inspired by lega's heat gun powered vapouriser I went and baught a gas powered heat gun, but it doesn't have enough oomph to do the job on its own. However, I've now rigged up the gas powered heat gun to act as a fan to force hot vapour through a clip box housing a 12 v heated pan. Works very well.

Temperature question is it too cold now to vaporise between 3-7oC over next week??

I made one of these it wasn't very efficient with most of the oxalic acid re crystallising on the cooler part of the pipe before getting in the hive

Last edited:
...... i have invested in a good quality full face mask with the appropriate filter and find it fantastic with no fogging and i soon forget i have it on.

would you be kind enough to give a spec or link for that mask, please? I get utterly confused as to what is appropriate and what is not. Different suppliers seem to use different nomenclature...TIA

You can make a timer to do the disconnect like this one-
That means you can connect it and walk away

No thanks. Leaving it to put even more heat energy into the hive, after sublimation completion, would not be acceptable to me. I would prefer it to cool down after removal from the hive.

The slow initial temperature rise is due to the whole item heating up, nothing more than that. Simple thermal capacity. That thermal capacity at sublimation temperature would then be transferred to the hive (colony), after the treatment had been completed, whilst the varrox cooled down to ambient.

Running the varrox without an oxalic acid charge is not that representative of its actual operation, in a practical situation, at all. I found the simple way was to find the real time for sublimation, apply that in practice and then remove - applying the sensible, appropriate safety precautions, of course.

Fair enough Oliver90
I have removed the file as it doesn't help you :)

Last edited:
Back