Oxalic Acid vaporizer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have access and can use a CNC machine you can make just about anything out of metal.

Nothing wrong with manual machines and cnc is not so useful in many cases. One-offs are decidely easier with a manual lathe/mill.

Nothing wrong with manual machines and cnc is not so useful in many cases. One-offs are decidely easier with a manual lathe/mill.

My good friend is a tool maker by trade but he does work for many types of industry and he uses them all day long, he can make just about anything, apart from money, he made me a cracking set of snap caps for the scatter gun one day out of brass in no time, and some of the hydraulics arms he makes seem impossible, if i asked him he could make a pile of them gassing tools in no time.

It's a shame they don't teach metalwork in schools any more only how to programs a machine to do the job for them. I must be getting old

It's a shame they don't teach metalwork in schools any more only how to programs a machine to do the job for them. I must be getting old

Many schools no longer have metalwork or woodwork shops - just CDT labs. No forges, no lathes, no pillar drills or grinding wheels .. no hand tools as such .. but they will teach you how to programme a 3D printer ...

Totally agree with you .. I was using a Myford ML Metal lathe by the time I was 12 in the metalwork shop .. and my mum still has the poker that I made on it ! She also has the hand forged hearth set I made at the same time. But ... you would probably not get away with allowing a 12 year old to heat a lump of iron till it's white hot and then beat seven shade of sh..t out of it on an anvil whilst you gripped it in a pair of tongs ... health & safety would have an apoplectic fit. Yet, the only serious accident I remember was when a friend got his finger in the shop door when the wind blew it shut .. chopped the end of his finger off ! A few minor cuts and bruises actually doing woodwork and metalwork ... normally resolved by Mr Myers bellowing 'You stupid boy, now look what you've gone and done -get a plaster from the box!

I remember the incident of a fairly substantial file (with a bare tang) thrown diagonally across the class room, spinning as it went! Certainly not an accident. I also recall a beaker of (hot?) caustic soda solution being thrown across a laboratory and smashing on the far wall, in the same school. Clearly not an accident either. Some schools are a dangerous environment, even without accidents.

Ah those were the days . Forge work was fantastic . Dipping in the used oil tanks and breathing the fumes . Also did some casting in sand and made a sign for my room . I made the hearth set and poker . Wood work was fun aswell . Had to combine the two for exam results . I made a tubular frame table with a chess board top . Went to college and at that point the cnc came in zzzzzz . X y z . I then stumbled into a job in the summer holidays . 27 yrs later i still have that job . Its great to work with your hands and make things .

perhaps those skill are not needed so much these days, I can't think of one foundry still operating here.

Mind you, we do have some first class farriers cropping up here. I can now hear Gareth(another very distant relative with his roots firmly in the valley) working away most nights on various projects and he's taking another apprentice or two on before long. He's converting the old family slaughterhouse into a new bigger better smithy. I'm sure the neighbours will be pleased :D

They are about. There is a foundry area (two or three small sole traders or very small numbers) only about ten miles from me. I use them occasionally. But I don't think they melt iron or steel.

we had a few girls that made fashion jewelry from copper and brass in the metalwork club dinner times

You were lucky. We were taught how to make horrible rock cakes and macaroni cheese instead!

Ha Ha ... So did I .. as a punishment for insulting the cooking abilities of some of my female classmates my form teacher (Miss Tune - who was also the Domestic Science teacher) got me transferred for a term from woodwork (which I loved) to DS with the girls ... actually - I quite enjoyed the baking and still do .. taught me a few things about cooking. Still didn't teach me to keep my big mouth shut ... as you probably know ...

A couple of years after my forced experiment boys and girls were both given the option of DS or Woodwork/Metalwork - a few girls took up woodwork but not many boys went for DS - well, it was Yorkshire in the 1960's - blokes didn't do that cooking stuff ?

well, it was Yorkshire in the 1960's - blokes didn't do that cooking stuff ?

And now look at how many Michelin chefs are men

Fritillary
You were lucky. We were taught how to make horrible rock cakes and macaroni cheese instead!

My mum, though....bless her, always ate mine.
What was worse was the needlework classes; having to sew a stupid gathered skirt by hand.
My mother worked for while as a seamstress when she escaped Poland after World War ll and had taught me how to sew. By the age of 12 I could tailor. How I wish they could have let me into woodworking and metalwork classes.....sigh

Latest posts

Back