Nervous Newbie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbie.jane61

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All.
Absolute beginner here, Im based in Loughborough and currently have a long and very muddy walk to the hives. It gets better in summer apparently and I can get my car closer. I completed a theory and practical course last year and Ive recently taken on 5 hives, maybe a little ambitious but the opportunity arose so I jumped in with both feet.

The hives had been left over winter with a super on top of the brood box and no QE. They are all active, two much more than the others. I have been today to put on the QE and one hive was extremely aggressive. My first encounter with aggressive bees and slightly terrifying!! But I didnt get stung so was very happy. On top of the brood box and on the underside of the lid were numerous white pupa. See photos. Does anyone know what they could be? they dont look like wax moth and too big to be bee pupa. Would explain why the bees were so agitated. Very hard to get decent photo when under attack and wearing gloves! It hasnt put me off but I will make sure my smoker is well lit next time as it stalled and I had to go and refresh it.

Attachments

• 20230401_110114.jpg
    20230401_110114.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230401_110116.jpg
    20230401_110116.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230401_110121.jpg
    20230401_110121.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230401_110126.jpg
    20230401_110126.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230401_110139.jpg
    20230401_110139.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230327_134121.jpg
    20230327_134121.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi, welcome, five hives to start? Wow!
Can't comment on the grubs but a few tips on the stroppy hive. Only give it one more chance before you kill the queen and combine with one of the nicer hives. If they are stroppy because of the queen they will rarely get better! Next time you go into the hives do the stroppy one last. Do everything slowly and gently. Pick a warm sunny day. There is a huge difference between a defensive hive and an aggressive hive. If you were not stung then I would suggest they were being defensive. Aggressive queen's need sorting. If you don't want your hives on brood and a half then a queen excluder under the super before drones are laid will work but you must make sure that the queen is in the bottom section. I think you need a mentor! Good luck.

do you have a crownboard on the hive?
If so, have you closed off the feeder hole in it?
Yes I do have a crown board and no they arent closed. should it be closed off? There is still fondant available but Im wondering if I should get rid of it to encourage foraging?

I think they are a beetle larvae of some kind ... the fully grown larvae are quite large so it could be a Cockchafer larvae but they are definitely not where I would expect to see them ! That's quite a big larvae so it's going to be one of the bigger beetles I think. The warmth of the hive has brought them out early but I wonder what they are feeding on ?

As enrico said a good idea to find an experienced beek to go an and help your first proper inspection. Go find a victim/volunteer!

Hi, welcome, five hives to start? Wow!
Can't comment on the grubs but a few tips on the stroppy hive. Only give it one more chance before you kill the queen and combine with one of the nicer hives. If they are stroppy because of the queen they will rarely get better! Next time you go into the hives do the stroppy one last. Do everything slowly and gently. Pick a warm sunny day. There is a huge difference between a defensive hive and an aggressive hive. If you were not stung then I would suggest they were being defensive. Aggressive queen's need sorting. If you don't want your hives on brood and a half then a queen excluder under the super before drones are laid will work but you must make sure that the queen is in the bottom section. I think you need a mentor! Good luck.
I know, hence the nervous newbie :) but I got them from another novice who had an allergic reaction before he got started but thought what the hell and went for it.

I got rid of as many (grubs) as I could and Ill look again in a few days. Ill also check to see if any brood is in the super as an idea where the queen is.

Those larvae were in the aggressive hive?
Could there be a disease in the larvae and the nurses carried the larvae to the corona board to keep the infection away?

Did you manage to examine the frames? I'm wondering if the larvae were from something odd inside the hive like dead rodents. Might explain why they were feisty!

Did you manage to examine the frames? I'm wondering if the larvae were from something odd inside the hive like dead rodents. Might explain why they were feisty!
I didnt hang around long enough to have a look! But reading up since I think they are drone larvae that were probably in the a comb bridge between the brood box and super that broke apart when I lifted it. Im plucking up the courage to go again when its warmer so hopefully more bees out and about foraging and less to attack me🤞.

I didnt hang around long enough to have a look! But reading up since I think they are drone larvae that were probably in the a comb bridge between the brood box and super that broke apart when I lifted it. Im plucking up the courage to go again when its warmer so hopefully more bees out and about foraging and less to attack me🤞.
Ah! If you put the super down on the crown board or even just held it over it that's the likely explanation - they do look like drone larvae to me. 👍

Ah! If you put the super down on the crown board or even just held it over it that's the likely explanation - they do look like drone larvae to me. 👍
I was worried that some of the intestines in some of the larvae looked a bit dark yellow rather than the usual cream colour.

Latest posts

Back