Local Associations not aligned with BBKA

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Blacky50

New Bee
Reaction score
I’m interested in making contact with local associations who don’t pay BBKA capitation. I’m aware of Bedfordshire BKA as well as Leicestershire & Rutland BKA.

Are there any others?

Thanks

Blacky50

New Bee
Reaction score
Sheffield is with the BBKA according to their website.

It’s surprising how many associations there are across the country.

mikepetty

New Bee
Reaction score
I can confirm that Leicestershire & Rutland BKA was a member of the BBKA in the distant past, but decided to leave and hasn’t looked back. There is no intention to reverse the situation.

Blacky50

New Bee
Reaction score
Thanks for those replies. It seems as if Scunthorpe is part of North Lincs which is part of Lincs BKA, which is affliliated to the BBKA.

Furness BKA isn’t affiliated.

Thanks for the update on LRBKA.

Nat1

New Bee
Reaction score
Thanks for those replies. It seems as if Scunthorpe is part of North Lincs which is part of Lincs BKA, which is affliliated to the BBKA.

Scunthorpe has no connection with Nth. Lincs whatsoever, it is totally independant.

masterBK

Queen Bee
Reaction score
I know for a fact that Scunthorpe beekeepers is definitely not part of North Lincs BKA or Lincs BKA but does draw some of its members from the same area covered by North Lincs BKA.

If you visit the Scunthorpe BKS website
https://sites.google.com/view/scunbeekeepers/our-society
you will find the following statement

"We are an independent beekeeping society, and are not affiliated to any other body or group. Therefore, the subscription paid by members stays within the society".

Last edited:

Blacky50

New Bee
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I mistook North Lincs BKA as it meets near Scunthorpe for Scunthorpe BKA. Apologies :sorry:

Nat1

New Bee
Reaction score

Scunthorpe in not linked in any way to Nth. Lincs or Lincolnshire BKA, it is totally independent.

Somerford

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Any in the south west? ie wiltshire and surrounding counties
all of WBKA is affiliated. Salisbury split off as you know but not sure if they are or not. I do know there are many unhappy people down there who have migrated to N Wilts associations and Hants

Pembroke

New Bee
Reaction score
Just to be pedantic, all of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales as they all have their own separate national associations. BBKA should really be EBKA but with a lot of things, England doesn't seem to get it's own named national association.

You may also be interested to know that the Scottish national association run their own bee disease insurance scheme rather than using the BDI.