Local Associations not aligned with BBKA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacky50

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I’m interested in making contact with local associations who don’t pay BBKA capitation. I’m aware of Bedfordshire BKA as well as Leicestershire & Rutland BKA.

Are there any others?

Thanks

Sheffield is with the BBKA according to their website.

It’s surprising how many associations there are across the country.

I can confirm that Leicestershire & Rutland BKA was a member of the BBKA in the distant past, but decided to leave and hasn’t looked back. There is no intention to reverse the situation.

Thanks for those replies. It seems as if Scunthorpe is part of North Lincs which is part of Lincs BKA, which is affliliated to the BBKA.

Furness BKA isn’t affiliated.

Thanks for the update on LRBKA.

Thanks for those replies. It seems as if Scunthorpe is part of North Lincs which is part of Lincs BKA, which is affliliated to the BBKA.

Scunthorpe has no connection with Nth. Lincs whatsoever, it is totally independant.

I know for a fact that Scunthorpe beekeepers is definitely not part of North Lincs BKA or Lincs BKA but does draw some of its members from the same area covered by North Lincs BKA.

If you visit the Scunthorpe BKS website
https://sites.google.com/view/scunbeekeepers/our-society
you will find the following statement

"We are an independent beekeeping society, and are not affiliated to any other body or group. Therefore, the subscription paid by members stays within the society".

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. I mistook North Lincs BKA as it meets near Scunthorpe for Scunthorpe BKA. Apologies :sorry:

Scunthorpe in not linked in any way to Nth. Lincs or Lincolnshire BKA, it is totally independent.

Any in the south west? ie wiltshire and surrounding counties

Just to be pedantic, all of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales as they all have their own separate national associations. BBKA should really be EBKA but with a lot of things, England doesn't seem to get it's own named national association.

You may also be interested to know that the Scottish national association run their own bee disease insurance scheme rather than using the BDI.

BBKA should really be EBKA but with a lot of things, England doesn't seem to get it's own named national association.
Only because many of them think the whole of the UK is England :biggrinjester:

Last edited:
The opening up of the Lancashire coal fields to deep mining in the 19th century ,ensured the indigenous English ( if there ever was such a thing ) is now a mixture of Welsh , Scottish, Irish plus a few Cornish .
oh! The deep shafts were sunk by German companies some of the workers marrying local , thus adding to the mix .

Back