LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
44cc59be270340c1e4b1aef39306c79f.jpg

Will add a pristine set of supers to Buckybeast within a week and put exiting ones on other colonies.

Blimey! Ours are nowhere near that. They have no flowers showing yet which is just as well as we have been blasted with 60 mph winds at the beginning of this week!

Ah... The old lime thread :) maybe this year the limes will be favourable. Not had a success on them yet.

i get quite a lot of lime honey, real luminous green/yellow honey when you first extract it

though needs the right damp warm weather to get a really good flow

Last edited:
I got loads of beautiful lime honey last year. Over the winter the avenue of limes very near the hives had been pollarded, so there will be nothing this year sadly.

i get quite a lot of lime honey, real luminous green/yellow honey when you first extract it

though needs the right damp warm weather to get a really good flow

Yeh, I've always been looking out for that greeny honey but to date, not had anything to write home about which is quite frustrating considering the number of Lime trees in my area!

I got a deep frame of it last year, gave most of it away and bitterly regretted it. People loved my August honey but I was disappointed in comparison. So it's worth a couple of manipulations to try and squeeze some of the pure stuff out.

44cc59be270340c1e4b1aef39306c79f.jpg

Will add a pristine set of supers to Buckybeast within a week and put exiting ones on other colonies.

Ahh that's what lime trees look like. I'm going to get my pocket book of trees and go to the park across the road to suss out what there is.

Ahh that's what lime trees look like. I'm going to get my pocket book of trees and go to the park across the road to suss out what there is.

Bet you get loads!...if you do...can I come and taste it?

Loads and loads near me. ( assuming I can comment here as is labelled " Limewatch UK" :D

At the same stage as picture above.

Do you get many of these trees in the wild in the UK, as opposed to like here in Dublin where they are planted extensively in Suburbia. Near me multitudes of trees of all sizes, some huge, providing amazing quantity of forage for bees given the correct weather, as I witnessed last year.

Of course you can. It seems I have a couple of the biggest lime trees you ever saw right outside my house (well, across the road) I'm going to draw them a map. Honestly I park them right by a couple of miles of trees and this is how they thank me! Can only assume they can't find em or there is a phantom honey stealer. Now who do we know has lots and lots of honey.....

What is this. Bees all over it. In park about 100 yards from hives

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Lucky bess!
It is bay I think but could be Portuguese laurel

Portuguese laurel just coming into bloom here, a good honey plant but needs some good pruning as its a bit of a thug.
Lime at least two weeks before flowering, however conditions are not right for it at the moment, needs more heat and humidity, lets hope things improve.

Latest posts

Back