LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still not open here......still waiting. Hopefully this hot humid weather will bring them on but we have a real lack of rain! So.......wait and see!

This thread just reminds me how quick the year's fly by, seems like only yesterday was looking at this last year.

My local limes are still firmly budded up although are always later than a lot despite being in the south east

Does anyone know the latin name for lime? I am wanting to read about them and by typing in 'lime trees' in to google it just comes up with the small citrus trees.

Does anyone know the latin name for lime? I am wanting to read about them and by typing in 'lime trees' in to google it just comes up with the small citrus trees.

Tilia cordata is the native one

The non pollarded trees near us (at the top of a hill) are still buds, the ones at the bottom of the hill are flowering!

The non pollarded trees near us (at the top of a hill) are still buds, the ones at the bottom of the hill are flowering!

I just reached up and grabbed a flower on the lime that is 60 ft from my apiary and my fingers came away only slightly sticky, with no smell. More worryingly, there is no lime smell in the apiary of an evening. I think they are only on bramble. Oh well; next year.

The two local huge Lime trees are showing yellow - I looked through the binos at 4pm and no bees but probably the flowers aren't fully open.

I'll repeat daily until the inevitable Met Police taps my shoulder and says there's been complaints and exactly which bedroom window I'm looking at......

I've seen only one with open flowers, too far away to be of any use to my bees. I've been watching the trees closest to the apiary, but they're starting to lose their flowers before they open, the ground is littered with them. Is it because it's too dry? :(

BeeJay
a combination of air temperature/humidity and of course sufficient 'water at the roots' whatever the technical term is. If you search this forum, you'll find some excellent info.

I have written off this year and in mourning am planning to decrystallize my last remnant of last year's.
6294ee10c43726025396e40b5c2d4b44.jpg

Is there a map of where lime is prevalent?

I'm in Ilford, but we don't seem to have high enough concentrations around here to greatly influence the honey.

LIME. I've given up on LIME. I am getting a flow off blackberry and the supers are filling hard but the special lime crop is nada.

Surely not ... It should only be starting soon, I remember exactly , my Birthday.. Ahhh lst year going on hols and whilst waiting on the air coach watching ( probably my ) bees all over the lime flowers , Tillia Cordata.

That was 12th July, so should be plenty of time yet !

Just popped down to where I have 5 hives sat at the end of an avenue of huge lime trees all in full flower......not a single bee to be seen on them. :(

Too dry?

just popped down to where I have 5 hives sat at the end of an avenue of huge lime trees all in full flower......not a single bee to be seen on them

ditto a friendly neighbour found me sitting on the kerb facing my 2 huge local Limes and asked me why I was crying!

Hopefully I recovered my dignity by replying I'd just heard that the UK womens soccer team was into the World semi-finals

BeeJay
a combination of air temperature/humidity and of course sufficient 'water at the roots' whatever the technical term is.

For the last few years I've been optimistic about both lime and heather, but have been disappointed because, as you suggest, the crop is far too dependent on moisture ay precisely the right time, the right temperature at the right time etc.

ditto a friendly neighbour found me sitting on the kerb facing my 2 huge local Limes and asked me why I was crying!

Hopefully I recovered my dignity by replying I'd just heard that the UK womens soccer team was into the World semi-finals

Very Good !! :D

I know the feeling ...

Got the feeling some of people in the neighbourhood think I'm ever so slightly mentally challenged, as I stand there on the road at different times of the year peering up into various trees, Lime, Cherry looking for foraging bees.

Must appear to the neighbours that I am awaiting the long anticipated arrival of my friends in their flying saucers !!

Back