Lawn treatments and the ingredients

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I was contacted by my neighbour a few days ago, she was going to have a lawn treatment done and wanted to know when the best time was for the bees! Obviously it is cold at the moment, but they are flying at midday if the sun is out. She also told me that she had asked the company what was in the treatment.
I did a search on the internet and couldn't find any ingredients, all they would say was that there were pesticides, herbicides and feeding elements in the mix.
I have been reading a lot about these neonicotinoids and am worried that all these :mad:people who insist on green lawns with no weeds are poisoning the birds and the insects with their thoughtless use of these companies to do their lawns. My neighbour was going to press for this information but I suspect she may not get anywhere. :banghead:
There are different treatments for different times of the year, does anyone know what is in them?
Thanks
louise

A whole heap of toxic chemicals! It's a dangerous short-termist way of going about looking after a lawn - there are organic ways of achieving the same results without killing the innate fertility of the soil, and endangering anything living that get's anywhere near it! I'd suggest searching out a company that uses safe methods - here's just one of them - http://www.organicmatters.co.uk/
If you're in any doubt as to the dangers of the chemicals used, a swift googling will very swiftly show you just what lurks under the cosy "lawn treatment" banner............

To be frank, if any company was offering to do anything on my property and refused to give full details of any chemicals they were going to use would be leaving rapidly with a large boot up their..........

Last edited:
I suspect most will do the minimum. Ferrous sulphate, perhaps, for moss eradication and/or a broad leaf herbicide for most 'lawn weeds' (probably a growth hormone type)

Things like earthworm control and for other pests would definitely be extras - but that may depend on the pricing structure (er, like charging more than enough for any conceivable eventuality!)

Not comprehensive, but may give you a start. No insecticides included in a cheap and cheerful treatment, I would think.

Regards, RAB

Could be snake oil salesmen as far as I can see:laughing-smiley-004 ?
Their ingredients are also "SECRET"

Relax, I stopped using chemicals on my (grass) years ago.
I rely on nitro-chalk and an Autumn dressing of peat/ sand.
I hope this admission doesn't upset the save our peat bog fraternity , after all look what peat digging did to create the beautiful Norfolk Broads :drool5:

John W

And for some rather sad people - worms! They don't like "worm casts".........

And for some rather sad people - worms! They don't like "worm casts".........

collect them from the lawn, they are perfect media for seedling plants. add a teaspoonful to each of your houseplants compost, see the difference!!

they are perfect media for seedling plants.

Don't forget, mole hills are good for seed compost, too!

Starlings make a good job of removing leather-jackets as well. ( I know, no profit for Chemco ! )

I can't think of any treatment which would be harmful to bees unless the bees somehow drank any liquid before it dried. In high summer my lawn has clover and the bees do visit it on hot days but I doubt that would be the time of year for a lawn treatment, which tend to be done in the spring.

Some people take their lawns very seriously - the bloke who lives next door to my mother in law cuts his grass wearing a tie.

My lawn is more of a field. With holes in it where the hens have scratched. I wouldn't dream of using fertilizer - it would just need cutting more often.

Don't forget, mole hills are good for seed compost, too!

Yes, absolutely great stuff.

I've just bought a couple of bags home from the fields, going to mix some in with the compost to pot on some Lonicera Purpusii.
There are a couple of small trees to liberate from the garden before we move too!

my local Golf course is now using provoda lawn grub killer

Active Ingredients: Imidacloprid

Neonicotinoid! Golf courses are the pits when it comes to the chemicals used for grass!

Looks like all the 'provado' group are neonics

RAB

Last edited:
my local Golf course is now using provoda lawn grub killer

Active Ingredients: Imidacloprid

Neonicotinoid! Golf courses are the pits when it comes to the chemicals used for grass!

Looks like all the 'provado' group are neonics

RAB
I keep my small patch chemical free! however There is a large (18 hole, 9 hole academy course and 27 lane driving range)right behind my apiary .
The response from the owner when I asked him what he was spraying on the course (to get rid of charlock ) and in bright sunshine was "NO NOT ANOTHER BELLYACHING BEE KEEPER :cuss: "

I approached a beekeeper friend of mine (also a keen golfer)to commiserate , his response was " They use safe sprays because a golfer could transfer spray residue to his mouth and also ingest it"
"OH I yes I believe that ".

John W

Imidacloprid is used for the control of Chafer grubs in turf while Chloropirifos is more generally used for the control of leather jacket grubs as it is a lot cheaper than imidacloprid. Chloropirifos will not kill chafer grubs. Any herbicide should not be used until weeds are growing actively so you are looking at late spring for that treatment.
Either way anybody has the right to know what is being used on their own lawn.
Hope this helps Dave

A startling number of garden insecticides are now based on neonicotinoids.

But, I would think that treatment at this time of year would be for moss with Ferrous sulphate and some nitrogen.

AFIK Chafer grub infestations are very rare (never seen one) and even Leatherjackets are not often a problem outside fine turf (by which I mean golf courses and bowling greens where the turf is under huge stress).

By the way, Charlock is the common brassica weed - very like OSR. Saying you are spraying a golf course for Charlock simply implies that someone does not know what they are talking about! Much more probable is a propionic acid hormone mix like CMPP for chickweed or speedwell as mentioned earlier.

I am with the minimum fertiliser/mow high brigade, but some people are bonkers on lawns and get charged accordingly!

Imidacloprid is used for the control of Chafer grubs in turf while Chloropirifos is more generally used for the control of leather jacket grubs as it is a lot cheaper than imidacloprid. Chloropirifos will not kill chafer grubs. Any herbicide should not be used until weeds are growing actively so you are looking at late spring for that treatment.
Either way anybody has the right to know what is being used on their own lawn.
Hope this helps Dave

The lawn grub treatments I am currently aware of are based on Imidacloprid. I thought chlorpyriphos had been withdrawn, but I may be mistaken.

Time of treatment will make little difference, as it is persistant for up to a year, although the uk blurb doesn't say that. I myself have used it, when returfing areas destroyed by grubs, in the knowledge that the new turf contains no flowers.

getting back to the grass when is the right time to lay turf as my mutts have piddled it to death over the winter

Anytime when it isn't frozen, up to about the end of March. Bear in mind though that it won't start rooting until the soil warms up, and you might want to flood the area with water to wash out the wee.

Latest posts

Back