Jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linoleum bonypart

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know most people use hex 12oz jars but they are a pain to get the last scrapings out... Popular with punters too.... But ... Does anyone use plain round 12oz out there

Love to but they're more expensive

I know most people use hex 12oz jars but they are a pain to get the last scrapings out... Popular with punters too.... But ... Does anyone use plain round 12oz out there
Where does everyone buy them from?

I only ever use round jars now, I do use the 300ml jars, yes they hold over 12oz but I think they look so much better than 282ml jars. On the plus side I can apply my labels with a hand machine.

I only ever use round jars now, I do use the 300ml jars, yes they hold over 12oz but I think they look so much better than 282ml jars. On the plus side I can apply my labels with a hand machine.

Not that I’m far enough down the road to worry about this yet, but can you tell us more about your labelling technique? And what machine you use?

i use 12oz round jars

probably paid too much but paid about 44p per jar

are hex much cheaper than that?

ive used these before and never had a breakage and very happy with quality

but can you tell us more about your labelling technique? And what machine you use?

Yup, laser printer (waterproof), Avery label software. 10 to sheet and can accurately stick on over 10 per minute with no machine involved. You are welcome to come round and watch if you doubt me.

Not that I’m far enough down the road to worry about this yet, but can you tell us more about your labelling technique? And what machine you use?

For the sort of quantities of lhoney labels I use (I make Jams and chutneys in small quantities as well) I tend to use Stikaroo (who will design, add your own details and print on glossy waterproof paper). Instant reply usually .. proofs by return - printed and delivered inside 48 hours. More trouble than it's worth designing and printing my own. Probably costs a few pence more per label but .. compared to other cost of goods.. negligible.

Stikaroo (White star prints)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/whitestarprints

PS: No association with them - just always had excellent service.

I apply the labels by hand .. takes seconds and with practice bang on the same place every time.

For what it is worth. 454g/lb round jars. Home made Photoshop labels constructed in layers so I can easily change the text on the Best Before Layer and switch on/off the spring honey blurb or the summer honey description. Avery labels (10 to the A4), lazer colour printer at home. Hand applied, cheap, job done.
Just a couple of legal points on labels other than the obvious 'nature, quality & origin demanded' stuff.
a) remember that if you are using the durability code as your legal lot trace (so no separate lot number) then you can only have 1 bottling for that product on that code. Multiple bottling days and you need to prove isolated identity via code between 'batches'. So use Best Before xx-xx-xx not best before end which is a xxx-xx format. Difficult if you are having batches of labels printed for you. Easy to stay on top off if you print your own. Legal ref: EU 1169/2011 originally enacted as Food Information Regs 2014 + amends thereof
b) cover your back. Add a "not suitable for consumption by infants under 3 years of age" to protect you against being an alleged origin of infant botulism from ingestion of Cl botulinum spores within the honey (spores are a very normal, common and natural element in honey) combined with an as yet under developed gut flora in a young infant.
Edited foot note: bugs don't grow in honey because of the low water activity, that's why we confirm sugar content, Aw and residual free water when determining whether honey is 'ripe'. Honey also has certain antimicrobial properties in addition that I won't bore you with here. In other words it is the fact that those spores go into the under developed infant gut and can grow without competition is the issue that consumers need to be aware of.

Last edited:
Yes, always use 12oz jars.. Compak Keynsham, Bristol. I'm local so I collect. Other stockists buy from them I gather.
I design my own label and then print A4 sheets off on a colour photocopier. They're waterproof and a b****r to get off if I want to use the jar for anything else!

While labels are being discussed does anyone happen to know what label the thornes sleeves for the new cut comb containers takes?

PH

Latest posts

Back