Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

SteveMc 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Morning all,

Has anyone had experience of ordering directly from Konigin to the UK since Brexit. I am tempted ordering direct rather than from Thornes or OCH as even after paying I presume 20% VAT on arrival it is still a saving of £100 plus on the 12 frame electric extractor.
Please feel free to re-tell horror stories or call me tight........;)

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
import duty first probably, then VAT on the whole shebang and good chance it will have to go through an agent so their cut on top. Is it worth the hassle?

TomH 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
By way of comparison, I bought some bike parts from Germany, original cost 477 euros.

The breakdown to get them here (with Parcelforce)

Customs Duty £15.24
Excise Duty £0.00
Import VAT £85.43
Clearance fee £12.00

So a bit more to consider cost wise.

Wasn't much hassle though, parcelforce just held it until i'd paid what was due and it was delivered no bother.

sipa 

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
Get the tarrif code from the supplier, this will tell you the import duty rate which you can use to calculate how much duty will be payable.

SteveMc 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Many thanks all. Have now spoken Konigin direct and feel a little bit more reassured after they have broken down the figures. If as detailed their 20 frame radial delivered to the UK comes in as todays current exchange rate as £475 + £18.50 import duty+£18 clearance fee+£91 VAT=£602, aproximately £200 cheaper than the British supplier.
Now I just need to persuade the wife that she no longer needs the cupboard under the stairs so I can store it there!

Jimmy 

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Are Konigin happy for you to bypass their Uk dealers?

SteveMc 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
They appeared to have no issues when approached by email. Their website gives the option to purchase in sterling and let me get as far as putting my postcode in to confirm delivery. Didn't actually go as far as putting in payment details though.

Jimmy 

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
They appeared to have no issues when approached by email. Their website gives the option to purchase in sterling and let me get as far as putting my postcode in to confirm delivery. Didn't actually go as far as putting in payment details though.
Thanks, I *think* when I tried to order something direct from the Lyson website I was directed towards Abelo.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
I have been in contact with another manufacturer recently - their response was simply that uk dealers do not carry some of their range and they were happy to give me a quote including the various 'on-costs', no problem.

Lyson seem to always direct you to Abelo - its their main uk dealer.

ics19 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
16+
20 frame radial delivered to the UK comes in as todays current exchange rate as £475
Does the £475 include delivery to the UK? if not it could eat into the £200 saving as likely a pallet carrier? Sounds like a plan otherwise :)

Repwoc 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Also for comparison, I purchased a load of Kieler mini nucs + some odds and sods from Germany in May. Total goods value was €542.36. Shipping charge was €53.21 via DHL (two large boxes). I wasn't asked to pay anything else - import duty or clearance charges. It may have all been rolled up into the shipping charge. Delivery time was 3-4 days (one box took longer than the other for some reason). I'm still expecting the VAT bill. It all went very smoothly.

ics19 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
16+
wasn't asked to pay anything else - import duty or clearance charges.
When the VAT bill arrives, it will include a handling fee of £10 or so. If the goods were all made in the EU then no duties are due, else that'll be billed too. Odd and sods can work out expensive as DHL/UPS/Fedex etc can all charge £2.50 to £5.00 per item line to clear customs once you go over 5 items on the commercial invoice :mad:

Repwoc 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
When the VAT bill arrives, it will include a handling fee of £10 or so. If the goods were all made in the EU then no duties are due, else that'll be billed too. Odd and sods can work out expensive as DHL/UPS/Fedex etc can all charge £2.50 to £5.00 per item line to clear customs once you go over 5 items on the commercial invoice :mad:
There were fewer than five item lines on the invoice. I'll report back regarding the handling fee once the VAT bill arrives. I was expecting to have to stump up the VAT before the goods were released by customs. I guess that DHL paid the VAT and will bill me for it, but they are certainly taking their time.

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I guess that DHL paid the VAT and will bill me for it, but they are certainly taking their time.
Another Brexit Bonus is that HMRC are now snowed under, a sudden increase in the workload of entry processing staff and officers in post who are unfamiliar with processes last used twenty nine years ago means there is a frantic training and recruitment drive on the go I have heard. Many now retired officers swinging the lamp and considering earning some pin money as agency staff.

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
Another Brexit Bonus is that HMRC are now snowed under, a sudden increase in the workload of entry processing staff and officers in post who are unfamiliar with processes last used twenty nine years ago means there is a frantic training and recruitment drive on the go I have heard. Many now retired officers swinging the lamp and considering earning some pin money as agency staff.

Obviously well thought through planning.

robinharman 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
And when it goes wrong, or there is a problem......

Latest posts