Importing direct from Konigin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveMc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Morning all,

Has anyone had experience of ordering directly from Konigin to the UK since Brexit. I am tempted ordering direct rather than from Thornes or OCH as even after paying I presume 20% VAT on arrival it is still a saving of £100 plus on the 12 frame electric extractor.
Please feel free to re-tell horror stories or call me tight........;)

By way of comparison, I bought some bike parts from Germany, original cost 477 euros.

The breakdown to get them here (with Parcelforce)

Customs Duty £15.24
Excise Duty £0.00
Import VAT £85.43
Clearance fee £12.00

So a bit more to consider cost wise.

Wasn't much hassle though, parcelforce just held it until i'd paid what was due and it was delivered no bother.

Get the tarrif code from the supplier, this will tell you the import duty rate which you can use to calculate how much duty will be payable.

Many thanks all. Have now spoken Konigin direct and feel a little bit more reassured after they have broken down the figures. If as detailed their 20 frame radial delivered to the UK comes in as todays current exchange rate as £475 + £18.50 import duty+£18 clearance fee+£91 VAT=£602, aproximately £200 cheaper than the British supplier.
Now I just need to persuade the wife that she no longer needs the cupboard under the stairs so I can store it there!

Are Konigin happy for you to bypass their Uk dealers?

They appeared to have no issues when approached by email. Their website gives the option to purchase in sterling and let me get as far as putting my postcode in to confirm delivery. Didn't actually go as far as putting in payment details though.

They appeared to have no issues when approached by email. Their website gives the option to purchase in sterling and let me get as far as putting my postcode in to confirm delivery. Didn't actually go as far as putting in payment details though.
Thanks, I *think* when I tried to order something direct from the Lyson website I was directed towards Abelo.

I have been in contact with another manufacturer recently - their response was simply that uk dealers do not carry some of their range and they were happy to give me a quote including the various 'on-costs', no problem.

Lyson seem to always direct you to Abelo - its their main uk dealer.

Also for comparison, I purchased a load of Kieler mini nucs + some odds and sods from Germany in May. Total goods value was €542.36. Shipping charge was €53.21 via DHL (two large boxes). I wasn't asked to pay anything else - import duty or clearance charges. It may have all been rolled up into the shipping charge. Delivery time was 3-4 days (one box took longer than the other for some reason). I'm still expecting the VAT bill. It all went very smoothly.

wasn't asked to pay anything else - import duty or clearance charges.
When the VAT bill arrives, it will include a handling fee of £10 or so. If the goods were all made in the EU then no duties are due, else that'll be billed too. Odd and sods can work out expensive as DHL/UPS/Fedex etc can all charge £2.50 to £5.00 per item line to clear customs once you go over 5 items on the commercial invoice :mad:

When the VAT bill arrives, it will include a handling fee of £10 or so. If the goods were all made in the EU then no duties are due, else that'll be billed too. Odd and sods can work out expensive as DHL/UPS/Fedex etc can all charge £2.50 to £5.00 per item line to clear customs once you go over 5 items on the commercial invoice :mad:
There were fewer than five item lines on the invoice. I'll report back regarding the handling fee once the VAT bill arrives. I was expecting to have to stump up the VAT before the goods were released by customs. I guess that DHL paid the VAT and will bill me for it, but they are certainly taking their time.

I guess that DHL paid the VAT and will bill me for it, but they are certainly taking their time.
Another Brexit Bonus is that HMRC are now snowed under, a sudden increase in the workload of entry processing staff and officers in post who are unfamiliar with processes last used twenty nine years ago means there is a frantic training and recruitment drive on the go I have heard. Many now retired officers swinging the lamp and considering earning some pin money as agency staff.

Another Brexit Bonus is that HMRC are now snowed under, a sudden increase in the workload of entry processing staff and officers in post who are unfamiliar with processes last used twenty nine years ago means there is a frantic training and recruitment drive on the go I have heard. Many now retired officers swinging the lamp and considering earning some pin money as agency staff.

Obviously well thought through planning.

Latest posts

Back