I'll kick this off with Chris's post.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear Dibbler’s story.

There are varroa resistant traits all around the UK, where bees’ hygienic adjustments to mites have taken place. We now know how to identify these traits, from peer reviewed research, and how beekeepers can identify and select for them.

An education / science website was launched last year (www.varroaresistant.uk) led by Emeritus Professor Stephen Martin. And for those interested in the practical guide of “how to do it” for beekeepers, there’s “The Honey Bee Solution to Varroa” published by Northern Bee Books. (Dani / Phil: hope that’s ok to mention)
That is good to know Steve. I've put your information in my notes and I will certainly look it up when I'm back from my holiday.
The book looks a good one to add to my Christmas list :)

Update. I've recently been called to collect a swarm from inside a duvet on a line.
I've put them in a hive and they seem to be doing fine.
I've put them in my quarantine location as I've no idea what their resistance to any mites etc are.

My question. How long would you keep a ferral hive away from your main colonies?
Do others do this ?
I'm asking as since my stroke the quarantine location is not the easiest to walk on.

My question. How long would you keep a ferral hive away from your main colonies?
a full brood cycle basically - you need to check whether there is any evidence of either type of foulbrood.

Latest posts

Back