If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is - anybody heard of Mike Mcinnes MRPS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is mostly rubbish.
What does antidiabetic mean? Only the medication diabetics take is antidiabetic. There is something about honey stimulating the production of insulin. I am sure that is true but diabetics either do not have the capacity to produce enough insulin(type 1) or the tissues are resistant to it (type 2).
The glycemic index of honey is less than sucrose, due to the fructose content and the other more complex sugars, that is all. It is still "sugar". I agree with Indibee that we are justified in stating that it is "better than sugar" for several reasons.
If you want to "cure" your type 2 diabetes and you haven't had it too long then get your BMI to 22 or below and take more exercise. You may be able to get off your medication. It will still be in the background but is well worth doing as it will reduce the risk of the complications of DM2.

Reminds me of people who ask for honey for allergies. I always point out to them that it isn't proven to do anything, just people I want to be honest with them.

T2 diabetic here and I can confirm that honey still spikes my blood sugar; not as high as refined sugar, but it stays elevated for longer.
Effectively it being lower glycaemic index "flattens the curve" - I still have to be careful with it but that's easier to manage. It's certainly not "antidiabetic" as far as I can tell!

Reminds me of people who ask for honey for allergies. I always point out to them that it isn't proven to do anything, just people I want to be honest with them.
My reply to the "honey for allergies " question - which comes up often when selling honey - is:

that some people claim it makes a huge difference for the better for their friends/partner/children/great uncle/dog etc (True)

But as a beekeeper I make no such claims..

Which is said with a smile.

(I suspect the placebo effect may be in action)

" Sweet Consciousness is Honey provision of energy that binds, integrates,and encodes the sensory information that is the ground of human intellectual consciousness. "

Just reading that's enough for me. Filing that away with the healing crystals and dowsing rods.

And yet you'll find beekeepers who otherwise give sensible advice on topics like feeding or hive manipulations also endorsing dowsing to determine hive location! It's not quite as bad as giving your bees a good cold draft in winter with matchsticks, but at least that's just following convention for (the hopefully few!) people who do it instead of pioneering a personal brand of lunacy like using dowsing.

And yet you'll find beekeepers who otherwise give sensible advice on topics like feeding or hive manipulations also endorsing dowsing to determine hive location! It's not quite as bad as giving your bees a good cold draft in winter with matchsticks, but at least that's just following convention for (the hopefully few!) people who do it instead of pioneering a personal brand of lunacy like using dowsing.
I can dowse underground pipes. Whether you believe me is immaterial 😎

As a hardened sceptic with a science background I was a little surprised to find that the chap from United Utilities who came out to check an underground leak before sending out a team to excavate and fix used dowsing rods to trace the pipe!
Commercial operations usually drop methods that don't work pretty quickly though....

As a hardened sceptic with a science background I was a little surprised to find that the chap from United Utilities who came out to check an underground leak before sending out a team to excavate and fix used dowsing rods to trace the pipe!
Commercial operations usually drop methods that don't work pretty quickly though....
I used to use dowsing rods to find lost conduits on many sections of the M25 during construction.

I had a chap wanting to prove dowsing to me. So I took him up the woods where I catch bees.
He had no idea why I took him there in particular.
He successfully pointed out lines that crossed the trees I catch most swarms in (and gave me more excellent trees to use) - he knew nothing about bees.
Skeptical I still am, it makes no scientific sence - but I am sure no bee understands science.

And yet every time dowsing is put up for study under scientific controls it performs no better than random chance. :unsure:

If you say you can guess (or make an educated guess/gut instinct) where underground pipes are, then I believe you. If you want me to believe you can 'dowse' the pipes, no I don't. Both dowsing and homeopathy advocates who say 'it works for me' suffer from the same mistake: they believe that their personal and humanly flawed experience of the world is somehow superior to the repeated and objective tests of hundreds or thousands of other people.

If you're good at finding running water or swarms when you're holding a fancy stick, fine. But if you think it has anything to do with the stick then I hate to break it to you, but believe in magic. Dowsing and homeopathy both dress up in scientific clothing - that's why we call them pseudoscience. But what they actually say is 'magic exists and this magic spell works'. No matter how much they talk about energy/force lines or the memory of water. Because those don't exist. And if you think that waving a piece of wood can help you feel it (not that anybody will say what it is besides 'energy' which is a thing with MEANING not new age woo-woo for anything mysterious) or that water has a memory you produce by shaking (don't think too hard about all the homeopathic sewage you drink from your tap then - oh, does it not work like that with 'bad' things?) then I have a bridge to sell you.

Don't worry if you can't see it, it's made out of invisible energy.

Last edited:
I suspect he has been retired some time. The Pharmaceutical Society obtained royal ascent some three decades ago. So the post nominals were MPS until they were changed to MRPharmS. MRPS may suggest a slip in consciousness?

Having skimmed the article briefly I don't think he has done himself any favours. I don't for one minute think he believes honey will cure diabetes or Alhzeimers. I suspect what he is trying to say is that substitution of all refined sugars in foods with honey at a population level will reduce the incidence of diabetes etc. Marginally different to the current advice on health benefits from low carb diets.

The secretary of a beekeeping group that I belong to has received this email from Mike McInnes MRPS.:-

Dear Beekeepers,

I have been researching honey for two decades, and can say with confidence that it is the most potent antidiabetic food known to man.

The refined sugar driven diseases that are plaguing mankind are autism, obesity, diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease.

These constitute one third of the global population and at the current rate of increase will cause our species - Homo sapiens to be cognitively incompetent before the end of the 21st century.

Honey can reverse that if consumers switch their sweeteners in food and drinks from refined sugar to honey – it really is as simple as that.

The problem is that the leaders of the industry (to whom I have written) simply fail to grasp that information and refuse to address the science.

The information is included in the article Sweet and Sour Consciousness.

I am currently writing a book on this, and working on a Honey Patent that will transform the industry world-wide.

My perspective is that if a group of beekeepers are interested to form a committee or similar, with which I could liaise, I would write a regular short article that could be shared in the beekeeping community.

One of the reasons that the science of honey is not appreciated in the scientific community is that the papers, although published in western peer reviewed journals are largely from the East/Middle East and are simply not taken seriously.

This neglect has negatively affected the perception of honey in the health professional community and indeed also in the honey industry.

If this is of interest, please get in touch.

I am not an academic, rather a retired pharmacist interested in cerebral energy metabolism and its modern sugar driven impairments.

I work with academics here in Scotland and around the world.

Kind Regards
Mike McInnes MRPS,
Edinburgh
Scotland

I've Googled him and he does exist - has written a couple of books about the health benefits of honey which appear to have been well received by beekeepers around the world - why wouldn't they be? Couldn't find any reaction from academics. Is this crank quasi-science or does his opinion have a strong evidence-based scientific background?

Anybody know?

CVB
Ah that's nice you have a friend. :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

It is mostly rubbish.
What does antidiabetic mean? Only the medication diabetics take is antidiabetic. There is something about honey stimulating the production of insulin. I am sure that is true but diabetics either do not have the capacity to produce enough insulin(type 1) or the tissues are resistant to it (type 2).
The glycemic index of honey is less than sucrose, due to the fructose content and the other more complex sugars, that is all. It is still "sugar". I agree with Indibee that we are justified in stating that it is "better than sugar" for several reasons.
If you want to "cure" your type 2 diabetes and you haven't had it too long then get your BMI to 22 or below and take more exercise. You may be able to get off your medication. It will still be in the background but is well worth doing as it will reduce the risk of the complications of DM2.
Oh gawd, you actually read the crap.

Latest posts

Back