SE Hants Spring Convention 2014

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To be held on
Sunday 9th March 09.30 - 16.30 hrs.
Portchester Community Centre

Tickets £12.00 in advance, £15.00 on the day.
(Price includes lunch (soup & a sandwich),
tea, coffee &

Programme For the Day

09.30 – 10.00 Registration Tea / Coffee / Biscuits
10.00 - 10.10 Welcome, the day ahead
10.15 – 11.15 Karin Alton Planting for Pollinators
11.30 – 12.30 Derek Mitchell Bees, Boxes & Heat The Physics of the Boxes we put Bees in
12.30 – 13.30 Lunch - Time to visit the trade stands
13.35 – 14.35 Pam Hunter Are Our Current Problems Really so New
14.35 – 15.35 Dr Michael Keith-Lucas Pollen
15.35 – 15.50 Tea / Coffee / Cake
15.50 – 16.10 Closing Remarks
16.10 – 16.30 Raffle

Speaker Profiles

Karin Alton
Following a career in commercial and retail finance, Karin obtained a Zoology degree at Nottingham University, then a PhD in Entomology. She has worked with hoverflies, aphids (galling aphids on poplar trees), tephritid flies and it’s
parasitoids on knapweed, bugs and beetles ofvarious grasslands, and now with honey bees. Karin enjoys beekeeping, photography (www.
kattegat.co.uk), garden design and marine fish

As a Research Fellow on Honey bee Health and Wellbeing at The University of Sussex, she has a keen interest in public outreach of science and education. In conjunction with Central Sussex Beekeepers Association Karin teaches beekeeping for beginners involving both lecturing and practical hands-on experience of handling honey bees. She also maintains the website for the Laboratoryof Apiculture and Social Insects

Derek Mitchell
Derek and how he got in involved in the Thermal Engineering of Honeybee Habitats.
My background is Physics, Engineering and making things, so when my other half decided to keep hot bees in what seemed to be very expensive, yet cold boxes, I discovered an Engineering problem :What are the bees requirements for a nest?

I was caught like a kitten with a ball of wool. I was then drawn into researching bees, trees and boxes and conducting scientific experiments to see how they compare in the quantifiable terms of thermal engineering. These experiments and research have shown up a few surprises, challenge some beekeeper received wisdom and have led to thinking about new materials for hive construction.

Pam Hunter
Her professional background is in pharmaceutical research where she worked in infectious diseases looking for new anti-infection agents. Pam has been keeping bees for about 20 years and says that she is learning all the time. She is a member of Central Sussex BKA with several beehives in her 1 acre garden in a rural spot in the middle of Sussex. As a biologist one of her main interests is in the biology and especially the foraging and
pollination aspects of beekeeping.

Michael Keith-Lucas
Dr Keith-Lucas is now retired, but was formerly Senior Tutor in Plant Sciences at the University of Reading. He is Chairman of Reading and District
Natural History Society and President of Reading and District Gardeners Association. He had worked on pollen in archaeology, allergy and forensic science for most of his academic career.

Tickets Available From:

Jean Frost, Meon Valley BKA
[email protected]
Tel: 01420 561136

Barbara Wye, Portsmouth BKA
[email protected]
Tel: 023 9232 4829

Steve Pestell, Fareham BKA
[email protected]
Tel: 02392 436169

Portchester Community Centre
Westlands Grove
Portchester
PO16 9AD
023 9232 1787

Last edited:
I have my Ticket and am looking forward to an enjoyable day.
Hopefully will learn something new as well. :)

it was a really good day ...
Especially the the talk by Michael Keith-Lucas. The tales of finding when murders took place, from the pollen up the victims nose and the rings in tree roots in the body were facinating as was discovering the history of the shetland isles through pollen.

Many thanks to the organisers.

Especially the the talk by Michael Keith-Lucas. The tales of finding when murders took place, from the pollen up the victims nose and the rings in tree roots in the body were facinating as was discovering the history of the shetland isles through pollen.

+1 ... the warm up act before lunch wasn't bad either !

:iagree:

Latest posts

Back