How much should i charge for my honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well the question is in the title. I have just harvested the honey from my hive and I have 35 jars of honey to sell. They are 3/4 of a lb in weight. I was thinking £4 or £5. But is that to much or to little?

Thanks

£4,80 for 1/.2 lb of the finest clear Cornish honey... produced by pure Cornish black bees
and i think I am giving it away at that price !!

Yeghes da

For a 3/4 jar I would say £4 minimum, and thats a bargain

That will give you a nice £140 to spend on more equipment :)

What you SHOULD charge and what you CAN charge are two very different things!

My advice would be to treasure your honey and never sell so cheap that you feel you have undersold it!

Also the price varies depending on if you are selling direct or to a shop. The shop needs a price that they can add their profit margin onto and still be able to sell it!

I personally would rather not sell a jar than accept too low a price.

** Prices vary so much from area to area and shop to shop that you only really get a feeling of the prices by going round local farm shops etc. and checking out prices.

Last edited:
Been selling lb jars at £5 and usually sell out within a week of collecting the honey. However I have seen other beeks selling theirs for less - but my thinking is its worth what people are willing to pay, so if you can get more - go for it!

Last year most of use in the Swansea area was selling 12oz jars for £5 and 1lb jars for £6.50. All of mine was sold out by november. No point trying to under cut anyone as there is always a great demand for local honey.

What you SHOULD charge and what you CAN charge are two very different things!

My advice would be to treasure your honey and never sell so cheap that you feel you have undersold it!

Also the price varies depending on if you are selling direct or to a shop. The shop needs a price that they can add their profit margin onto and still be able to sell it!

I personally would rather not sell a jar than accept too low a price.

** Prices vary so much from area to area and shop to shop that you only really get a feeling of the prices by going round local farm shops etc. and checking out prices.
Wise words, sage advise !

Remember trading standards, and if you do it regularly, you may have to think about the Taxman.

there are lots of grey areas to hide behind, but if you advertise and is spotted it could be considered as 'extra income'

if you want to be safest, just give to friends and family. If they want to contribute to the bees (say £5 a jar, all the better!)

A couple of hobbyist beekeeping friends have been challenged recently regarding whether they pay tax on what the honey they are selling....

If you sell your last jar just before the new season's harvest then you've priced it about right.

Remember trading standards, and if you do it regularly, you may have to think about the Taxman.

there are lots of grey areas to hide behind, but if you advertise and is spotted it could be considered as 'extra income'

if you want to be safest, just give to friends and family. If they want to contribute to the bees (say £5 a jar, all the better!)

A couple of hobbyist beekeeping friends have been challenged recently regarding whether they pay tax on what the honey they are selling....

There are threads on this ad nauseam.............
HMRC is NOT interested in hobbyists. We can all prove we spend humungous amounts of money on our hobby with little return. I just wish there would be a test case some time. I would happily let Revenue fund my retiree hobby :)

If you sell your last jar just before the new season's harvest then you've priced it about right.

I have not yet had enough honey to sell but if my bees were to produce a decent surplus, I'd aim to do just as Chris B has said - sell the last jar a week before the next harvest! £5 for 8oz seems about right.

CVB

Remember, you may get no honey next year so you need two years of honey put by for yourself before you sell any!
E

Apologies for hi jacking thread...............

Chris B, just tried to message you but your inbox is full. Sent you an e mail.

12oz/340g £5.50 or 2 for £10 sell on average 100 jars at each farmers market I do. And never a complaint about price in fact getting lots and lots of regulars now coming back and buy a couple each month.

I sell my honey at the gate and fairs at £5.00 for 12oz/340g, or 2 jars Set/Creamed/Runny in hesian bag for £9.00, and £1.00 for honey drizzler so £10.

I do not sell for less, if they don't purchase, does not bother me.

I'm confident with my product, and off free taste tests at the door as well...

Compared to other local Beeks, their offering is poor, granulated rusty, stick jar lids, re-used jars, creased re-used labels and jars, which are not legal :- disgusting.

I've also done all the catering exams and qualifications as well.

I'm actually thinking of increasing my price, comparing what s**t is offered locally!

Back