How much stores should be left?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
How many KGs of stores should be left on a national hive at this time of year, in an ideal world?

I’m sure ‘it depends’, as with pretty much everything beekeeping. But I suppose what I’m asking is, if you go and heft your hives today, what are you hoping for and what would cause you to feed? I’m sure many of the more experienced guys just heft and make a judgement, but for us beginners who are weighing…can someone give some ballpark figures? I’m not asking for hive weights (as will depend on the hive), but what weight of stores would you like to see?

I’m in north Cumbria so a flow is probably still a little way off yet?

what weight of stores would you like to see?
General minimum for a National hive in season is two DN frames, about 5kg, which is said to be sufficient for a colony for one week between inspections, should flying be impossible.

north Cumbria so a flow is probably still a little way off
Is it? Your eyes are the best judge: look wherever you go and check for blackthorn, willow, cherry and so on. Familiarise yourself with flowering times of useful plants, but vary those according to the weather. This book is indispensable.

what would cause you to feed?
Absence of spring flow and a light heft.

Thanks, they’re down to approx 6-8kg stores on each hive so I’ll hold off feeding for now and continue to weigh weekly.

I’m away travelling so got someone doing this for me. I’ll be back in a couple of weeks.

Is it? Your eyes are the best judge: look wherever you go and check for blackthorn,
Absence of spring flow and a light heft.
Blackthorn? I have masses of it in full bloom in my out-apiary (three hives). Yesterday (T.15C, no wind, bees very busy) I spent several minutes looking for bees on the blossom: not one to be seen. Confirms what I've observed in previous years.

Last edited:
If it's anything like my location, perhaps the better option of Willow and Gorse, they've been on both for weeks and the pollen frames are stuffed with it. I also noticed an increasing amount of Dandelion coming in.

Get Dad to look at this chart; better still, get him to walk the dog and look for anything in flower. Even better, ask him to buy you that book.

View attachment 39384
So I guess the white pollen is hazel then, since it’s too early for elder and balsam.

Given the number of ‘orange’ options, I’m not going to hazard a guess which that could be…

Latest posts

Back