How much?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian48

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all

I’ve been selling honey for quite a long time at the gate and still charging £5 a lb
I’ve decided that this is too cheap these days, so I’ve brought some 190ml jars,
Does anyone have a rough price as how much to charge for such a jar??

I was thinking £4 - £4.50 would that be acceptable?

Many thanks
Ian

I sell for £6 for 12 oz ( 340 Gms). And that is cheap! 190ml is about half that so bearing in mind the cost of the jar £4.50 seems about right. They are quite small jars!!

that was too cheap years ago.
How much is 190ml in grammes/ounces?
I’ve tried selling £6 Lb at the gate and nobody buys it!
Drop to a fiver and it sells!
With the price of everything rising all the time, processing and selling honey hardly seems worth the effort now,
Which is a shame as I’ve never really done it for profit, just the enjoyment and just to make a few pounds to pay for more kit.

I’ve tried selling £6 Lb at the gate and nobody buys it!
Drop to a fiver and it sells!
With the price of everything rising all the time, processing and selling honey hardly seems worth the effort now,
Which is a shame as I’ve never really done it for profit, just the enjoyment and just to make a few pounds to pay for more kit.
Change to 12 oz hexagonal jars and keep the price at £5 - or even £5.50 your customers will probably not even notice. You can increase again next year before the season starts .. or add a festive ribbon coming up to Xmas and stick another 50p on the price - £5.95 is a good price point.

Hi all

I’ve been selling honey for quite a long time at the gate and still charging £5 a lb
I’ve decided that this is too cheap these days, so I’ve brought some 190ml jars,

Many thanks
Ian
I’m not sure of your exact location but you’re not a million miles from me. Few use 1lb jars anymore but I’ve regularly seen them near me and Somerset for around the £10 mark.
12oz is common and regularly seen at £7-8.
At the price you’re selling at atm you’re giving it away and could just sell bulk to a bee farmer who will bottle and sell on!

I’m not sure of your exact location but you’re not a million miles from me. Few use 1lb jars anymore but I’ve regularly seen them near me and Somerset for around the £10 mark.

Though oddly over in this part of Somerset a lot of beekeepers will tell you that you can't get more than £5/lb.

James

It rather depends on what the locals are used to and what is available in real honey terms and what price has been established ... even a mile or two can make a big difference in what price can be achieved ... Berkshire is a very mixed county ... from Windsor to Reading, Slough to Ascot - I would expect a lot of variation, there are some very rich areas and some not so rich.

A well presented product at the right price point will always sell to the right customer - getting all three ducks in the row ... that's marketing !

Sell 12oz jars to local shop for £4 a jar and they retail it at £7. Sell to friends and work colleagues for £5 a jar
but told everyone I’m putting the price up next year.

Hi all

Many thanks
Ian
Blimey that’s cheap! I sell half pound jars (190ml) at a fiver wholesale and a local shop retails them at £7.50
Locally (friends & neighbours) it’s £6 but going up to £6.50 this year as I can’t keep absorbing materials increases.

Blimey that’s cheap! I sell half pound jars (190ml) at a fiver wholesale and a local shop retails them at £7.50
Locally (friends & neighbours) it’s £6 but going up to £6.50 this year as I can’t keep absorbing materials increases.
The £7-8 for 12oz is about the going rate in local shops there’s a couple of bee farmers selling on and the £8 mark is pretty good for 12oz.
There’s always the odd 1 on face book who’s selling 8oz for that money but it’s only normally 100 jars or so and going fast as they always say😂
Comb can get good money I’ve seen Ross rounds at £14 and comb in boxes is about £1 per oz plus.

I like the idea of selling it by the frame!
Looks like a good return (can’t believe people would pay £95 for one!) 😆
Lot less hassle than extracting and jarring, that would be like having wooden cash machine's down the garden 😂

Hi all

Many thanks
Ian
A lot has to do with how you market it. Call it something local ...... Mine is Somerset Wetlands Honey'. When I lived on the welsh border it was Offa's Country honey. People want obviously local products and many buy mine for Christmas presents etc. I also add a description of my honey on the rear. I won't put a copy in here as I don't want to start an argument about the word 'raw' but it tells them about granulation taste and texture.
The labels need to look classy. I print my own in black and white on a cheap laser printer and use hex jars with black lids and a black and white security tab. They look smart and people want to buy it.
Just a few tips that might help

I actually sell it as honey from our village, and state on the label it’s from the flowers and hedgerows around the village, we have a pretty label which everyone comments on, don’t get me wrong we do have regular customers, but nothing like we used to have 10-15 years ago,
back then we sold 1LB jars for £4,50
And couldn’t keep up with demand.

I have now done away with the 1LB jars,
I only found out earlier that my partner was selling 1LB for £4 for her college’s 🤦🏻‍♂️ from now on its smaller jars!

I actually sell it as honey from our village, and state on the label it’s from the flowers and hedgerows around the village, we have a pretty label which everyone comments on, don’t get me wrong we do have regular customers, but nothing like we used to have 10-15 years ago,
back then we sold 1LB jars for £4,50
And couldn’t keep up with demand.

I have now done away with the 1LB jars,
I only found out earlier that my partner was selling 1LB for £4 for her college’s 🤦🏻‍♂️ from now on its smaller jars!
Remember a bee has to fly between 50,000 and 80,000 miles (depending on who you listen to - either way it's a lot) to make one pound of honey ....when you tell your customers that single fact ... price becomes irrelevant !

Saw jars of 340g Scottish heather honey and Scottish blossom honey for sale on the Isle of Bute for £15.40 and £14.40...phew !

Saw jars of 340g Scottish heather honey and Scottish blossom honey for sale on the Isle of Bute for £15.40 and £14.40...phew !
haven't been on the isle of Bute for years, although I've circumnavigated it plenty of times, our usual stopover was on the mainland side of the Kyles at Tighnabruaich. I did spend a week in Rothesay about twenty seven years ago - departmental fishing competition on Loch Fad, so we (the Welsh team) made a week of it.
Has Rothesay managed to drag itself out of the 1950's yet?

haven't been on the isle of Bute for years, although I've circumnavigated it plenty of times, our usual stopover was on the mainland side of the Kyles at Tighnabruaich. I did spend a week in Rothesay about twenty seven years ago - departmental fishing competition on Loch Fad, so we (the Welsh team) made a week of it.
Lol...it's a beautiful scenic island, as you'll testify. But I'd say Rothesay still retains its 1950s (and 1850s) charm... pretty much as it must have been when you stayed there.
There were times as we drove round, that I reckoned we could have been driving along some South Devon lanes it was that beautiful; made better by glorious sunshine too.
Interesting that you mention Loch Fad, saw a poster advertising various fishing opportunities, which I quite fancied...but will perhaps have to save for another day.

Life in the 1950s

Latest posts

Back