How Much is Your Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£3.50 per 8 oz jar.
£5.50 per 12 oz jar.
Selling well, esp. 8oz.

We were selling our honey @ 5.50 lb at the gate with no problem. Then we sold to the local shop and agreed our 5.50 and that they would sell @6.50.

Jars have flown off the shelves...

It is a simple truth that Beekeepers tend to under price their product and we shouldn't.

Others assume their products are valuable and so should we.

Sam

£3.50 for 8oz
£4.75 for 12oz
£6.00 for 1lb

best seller is 12oz hexagonal as they look almost as large as a 1lb jar and equate to the size sold in local shop,

all garden gate sales or school /church/allotment fetes where i donate £1 per jar sold to their funds but add 50p to prices

I sell
8oz hex jar £3.50
12oz hex jar £5

and I've already sold over 20lbs worth and just extracted what looks like another 30lbs this afternoon.

If it's too expensive it won't sell so you can reduce your price, but if it sells out too quickly then it's too cheap.

It's just a matter of finding a happy medium.

Muswell

Good call!

When I run out of my 1lb jars I'll definitely re-stock with those 12oz hex ones.

As you say, it's the size that all the "health food" "organic" "as nature intended" shops have on their shelves.

richard

My association sells for £5 for 1lb jar. So I followed suit. I felt a bit bad asking because it's friends and acquaintances first of all but to ask less would devalue the honey. So I gave quite a lot away of my first extraction and told everyone that, "The right price is really £5 in case anyone asks you."

It worked because I got a lot of repeat orders.

£3-00 for a pound jar half a dozen selling at that price around here someone tried £4-50 and didnt sell a single jar

Lidls in Morden is selling 340 gm jars for £1.79

I couldn't read the label details because it was 'badly printed'

£5 a pound jar

This is real local honey, not the pasturised stuff they sell in the supermarket

12 oz jars seems to be the way to go, saw some in the local butchers, £3.95, thought "thats reasonable" and then read the label. :eek:
S

Last edited:
I think the price should be what people will pay. I always have a lot more demand than I can meet ...we all know that artisanal honey is flipping gorgeous!!!

This year I have made up some 8oz hexagonal jars with a bit of cut comb in them and am seeing if people want to give me £5 a jar.
I know some people will say that is shocking, but I still don't usually cover my costs even,

That is way too cheap :smash:

Any more and it's being greedy. Never ask for more than £4, retail or otherwise and that provides a high profit margin.

Back