Granulated Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
Last season's honey has now granulated in the jars and I have more than I can use myself although it is very nice and not at all course.

Will it be ok to give back to the same bees? I read somewhere that when honey granulates the honey between the crystals which is what the bees will use holds a higher percentage of water which can cause dysentary.

This would be a problem in winter but would I be right in thinking that if the weather was above 17C the bees would be able to adjust the water content in the same way they do when they bring in nectar (or when we give syrup)?

Yes. I know I should heat the honey and then rebottle but I have not got the equipment (or funds) at the mo.

Why would you have to 'rebottle'?

Just warm the jar gently and it should liquefy. Then you can use it as normal.

Simple. Keep it. There may be no crop at all this coming year! I always try to keep enough for the following year, should it be required.

Feeding honey back to bees is an expensive hobby. Sugar is cheaper.

Honey fed to bees should have been heated by the minimum amount - HMF levels only rise.

Bees feed all winter on honey at that water content. They need to dilute it for feeding larvae (summer feed is nectar, with perhaps some concentrating by the bees, honey stores are for winter and in times of no available forage).

Properly stored honey will not go 'off'. Shelf life is related to HMF levels mainly.

I think your reading material was either a lousy publication or there was a misunderstanding on your part.

Thanks 090.

No heat at all has been used which is probably why it has crystallized. Ted Hooper advises to heat warm it to 52 degrees which I do not have equipment to do. Hence my question.

Ted also says (Bees and Honey p260) Once the honey has crystallized the fluid between the crystals is diluted by removal of solids, and rises by some 4 - 6 per cent in water content.

Not sure where I got the information that high water content can cause dysentary but this is why I asked whether the bees would be able to use crystallized honey.

Yes sugar is cheaper but if I cannot get the honey to a quality which is good enough to sell it would at least save me buying sugar - and they did make it after all.

As an experiment I have a jar warming in my propagator at 40 degrees C. The first I have ever heated.

Thanks 090.

No heat at all has been used which is probably why it has crystallized. Ted Hooper advises to heat warm it to 52 degrees which I do not have equipment to do. Hence my question.

Ted also says (Bees and Honey p260) Once the honey has crystallized the fluid between the crystals is diluted by removal of solids, and rises by some 4 - 6 per cent in water content.

Not sure where I got the information that high water content can cause dysentary but this is why I asked whether the bees would be able to use crystallized honey.

Yes sugar is cheaper but if I cannot get the honey to a quality which is good enough to sell it would at least save me buying sugar - and they did make it after all.

As an experiment I have a jar warming in my propagator at 40 degrees C. The first I have ever heated.

Comments:
No equipment? -
A pan with hot water and a jar in it?

Rise in water content? -
17% plus 4% is still only 21%

Selling? -
Sell as naturally granulated?

First thing is - how many jars?
For a really large number, sure, proper equipment would make the job easier. If there are enough, you may find someone at the local association that could help.

But for a small number, putting a few at a time in a pan of water in a really low oven should work well enough.
The only special equipment needed is a thermometer to check the waterbath temperature.

I think it may take rather a long time (a week or two?) to redissolve at 40C.

i bought a bain marie off flea bay which will hold 28 jars at a time. easily controllable payed for itself in first season. where in essex are you.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. 24 hours @ 40C has liquified the honey but still leaves some larger crystals. Looks like I better get a thermometer to use with the oven as a temporary solution.

I am in Dagenham btw and I think the white clover in the park is responsible because honey from the previous year did not crystallize but since then I moved the bees nearer the park.

Yes. I know I should heat the honey and then rebottle but I have not got the equipment (or funds) at the mo.

Not so.

You can liquify a jar at a time in a microwave ... without removing the lid, without removing the label ... without even removing any plastic tamper seal. Good eh?

Isn't candy "granulated", bees simply add water?
I think the water content & dysentery may be from fermentation?
Careful using a microwave unless you have one with some sort of heat control.
If your not in a rush then a warm place 35° for a few days sorts it and no HMF worries.

Russ

As RAB said.....next year you may get minimal amount. I always keep a spare year in the cupboard, got caught out once and had to buy it.....never again! Honey yield can differ from a few jars to hundreds from one year to the next..... The other option is to sell it. Put a sign at the end of your drive and it will be gone in a couple of days and buy you more foundation etc.
E

Enrico. I am thinking that people will not want to buy it granulated, though I quite like it myself.

An obvious note about microwaves and metal lids of course . . . :)

Enrico. I am thinking that people will not want to buy it granulated, though I quite like it myself.

Show people what they are getting and explain that this is what honey does naturally and it will sell.......honest! Some people like you, like it that way
E

Right Enrico, you have inspired me. I will give it a go.

I like it granulated – it makes it harder for the honey to escape from my toast :)

I like it granulated – it makes it harder for the honey to escape from my toast :)

I find sticking it down with more honey the best solution to that problem...

Yup. I prefer the texture of it granulated. Not as messy either

I eat my peas with honey.
I've done so all my life.
It makes them taste so funny,
But it sticks them to my knife.

[This poem was recited on the February 2, 1944 broadcast of the radio program "It Pays to Be Ignorant." The author was that well known poet, Ann Onymus.]

Dusty

Last edited:
Comments:
No equipment? -
A pan with hot water and a jar in it?

Rise in water content? -
17% plus 4% is still only 21%

Selling? -
Sell as naturally granulated?

if using a pan, it is best not to have the jar in direct contact with the base. also over 40 degrees will destroy the pollen.

Latest posts

Back