Warming honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dani, that looks great.

How long have you had yours?

My first Lidl one I returned after 3 months because it had a burning smell when turned on. Then this one 2 years before it gave up. But lost without it!
What is wrong with yours? In the offchance that the thermostat is broken & stays on full you could control it with a plug-in STC type controller

Not sure, I'm the least electronically minded person ever!

The display shows the current temp (I usually put in hot water from the tap at about 30°) but it just doesn't heat up from there.

Is that controller something I plug into the mains and then plug this into?

The display shows the current temp (I usually put in hot water from the tap at about 30°) but it just doesn't heat up from there.

Yes, but it needs to be heating up, doesn't have to be a controlled heat-up. Does it work if turned up full? If not then you would need someone electrical.

Sounds like the heating element is defective. If you know someone or a neighbour who could do a continuity test on the element then it may just be a case of buying a new element. The fuse in the plug could have blown if the unit has a red indicator light that is not illuminated.

My Lidl jam maker has decided not to heat up. 😩
I've been looking every week for them to come back in stock but so far no joy.

Does anyone know of something similar that has a set temperature range? The Burco/Cygnet ones just seem to have a 1-5 temp setting.
So it just does not heat up ? Is yours the one with the digital panel with the temperature settings or the earlier one with just the dial settings ?

Silly question .. it does switch on - it's just not heating up ?

If it does switch on It can only be one of two things - the heating element or the thermostat.. I'd be tempted to have a look and see if you have a local small appliance repair man. These appliances tend to use common parts and they are not rocket science. If you can't be bothered ... don't take it to the tip .. let me know and I'll pay the courier charge and take it off your hands.

What is wrong with yours? In the offchance that the thermostat is broken & stays on full you could control it with a plug-in STC type controller
You need to know what you are doing with electrics of this sort .. it's not heating up so it's not a temperature control problem as such ... I'd use the ST controller if it was just not maintaining temperature but it sounds more like a total failure of either the controller or the element. These things take a lot of amps and they are metal .. get it wrong and you are going to get a serious belt of electricity. Don't mess with unless you are electrically competent.

You need to know what you are doing with electrics of this sort .. it's not heating up so it's not a temperature control problem as such ... I'd use the ST controller if it was just not maintaining temperature but it sounds more like a total failure of either the controller or the element. These things take a lot of amps and they are metal .. get it wrong and you are going to get a serious belt of electricity. Don't mess with unless you are electrically competent.
Absolutely - hence my comment it needs to heat!
As you say it sounds like an element or thermostat problem, small chance of an internal fuse or a loose connection.
I'm electrically competent so would be happy to fettle, but realise most aren't. Sadly small repairers are few & far between in these throwaway times. It used to be normal to replace eg a kettle element, now they get binned 🙁

Sounds like the element has gone ....it's not really a DIY repair. I've just had a good look on the net and the people who make them are not listing spares for them so ... although I said get someone to look at it ... it may cost you more to have someone tell you what you already know (it's broken) and the not be able to fix it. It may be better to save the cost and put it towards another one.

Me ? I'd have a go at taking it apart but I've done my 17th Edition and I've been messing about with electrics since I was a kid.

Absolutely - hence my comment it needs to heat!
As you say it sounds like an element or thermostat problem, small chance of an internal fuse or a loose connection.
I'm electrically competent so would be happy to fettle, but realise most aren't. Sadly small repairers are few & far between in these throwaway times. It used to be normal to replace eg a kettle element, now they get binned 🙁
Yes ... I got caught with my dishwasher ... It had an intermittent leak and the float in the bottom meant you had to tip it slightly to get it to start. 'Er indoors eventually got fed up of having to tip it slightly and I felt that the repair on this occasion was probably more than I was capable of fixing and (very reluctantly and with gritted teeth) got a man to come and have a look at it.

Half an hour later and after much huffing and puffing .. he declared that it had a small leak but finding it and fixing it would take hours and was not worth the effort - charged me £80 and left ! I resigned myself to buying a new one (although the existing one was only a few years old) and in the meantime continued to tip it to get it started.

Then - one day .. it didn't need tipping to start it and it has been fine ever since !! I suspect the hard water in our area has fixed it and limescale or debris has blocked the tiny leak.

Sometimes you get lucky !!

Yes ... I got caught with my dishwasher ... It had an intermittent leak and the float in the bottom meant you had to tip it slightly to get it to start. 'Er indoors eventually got fed up of having to tip it slightly and I felt that the repair on this occasion was probably more than I was capable of fixing and (very reluctantly and with gritted teeth) got a man to come and have a look at it.

Half an hour later and after much huffing and puffing .. he declared that it had a small leak but finding it and fixing it would take hours and was not worth the effort - charged me £80 and left ! I resigned myself to buying a new one (although the existing one was only a few years old) and in the meantime continued to tip it to get it started.

Then - one day .. it didn't need tipping to start it and it has been fine ever since !! I suspect the hard water in our area has fixed it and limescale or debris has blocked the tiny leak.

Sometimes you get lucky !!
I had a similar problem with a dishwasher. Repair man couldn't find the leak as it was clean water, just tightened any possible fittings & fine since 🤞
Many things I fix myself - the problem with the dishwasher was how to get into it!
It's handy being handy 🙂

@Little_bees
First Lidl is still fine after 10 years but when I bought another it got used for cleaning frames. The second lasted 2 years then the thermostat failed.
The Klarstein I bought just before Christmas. It’s very similar to the Lidl but more robust and SS

And it's shocking (excuse the pun) how much some new kettle elements cost now if you want one. I use them in my water heater and boiler in the brewery and was after a spare recently. A standard 2.4kW kettle element was something like £35!

James

I had a similar problem with a dishwasher. Repair man couldn't find the leak as it was clean water, just tightened any possible fittings & fine since 🤞
Many things I fix myself - the problem with the dishwasher was how to get into it!
It's handy being handy 🙂
Out of necessity (and a degee of curiosity) I've always tried to fix things myself. It's a lot easier these days as there is a wealth of information on the internet .. but in days gone by you just had to work it out for yourself. As a result, 'er indoors, usually thinks that I can repair ANYTHING ... and I suffer the consequences when I have to admit that I can't in some cases. Dishwashers are relatively simple devices but you are right - actually getting to the source of the problem is normally a case of stripping them down to the last nut and bolt when it's not something that usually fails like the pcb or the spring on the tablet dispenser !

Thanks for all the tips. I'm guessing it's probably the element (LCD display shows it's trying to do something) so likely not economical to repair.

On the plus side I've just remembered that Lidl do a 3 year guarantee so will take it back for refund/repair. 😀

I think I'm going to go for Dani's suggestion. Twice the price but it's SS so to be expected.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm guessing it's probably the element (LCD display shows it's trying to do something) so likely not economical to repair.

On the plus side I've just remembered that Lidl do a 3 year guarantee so will take it back for refund/repair. 😀

I think I'm going to go for Dani's suggestion. Twice the price but it's SS so to be expected.
It’s a nice thing. Solid. It came from Germany so delivery was a couple of weeks.

Lidl are brilliant like that .... mind you, they do ask for the receipt before they will refund and I'm not that good at keeping Lidl receipts ....

Latest posts

Back