Warming honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D&D

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Is there a how-to link to setting up a refrigerator to warm and cool honey, depending on the season?

Also, when you warm crystallized honey, does it re-crystallize faster the next time around? It seems to me it does. Did I maybe not melt all the crystals? I was using a warm water bath and got it to 95 degrees F.

95F is 35C, I'd go a few degrees warmer and leave for 24hrs+
I use a fridge with two 40W tube heaters mounted in the bottom adjusted to achieve 40C nearer the top.
I could control it with a plug-in inkbird controller I use in home-brewing (others are available), but haven't bothered so far.

Not sure on the volumes you’re doing but jam makers offer a very easy alternative. They’ll range from £50 that will do the job to several hundred. I’m sure you’ll have comparable models.

Not sure on the volumes you’re doing but jam makers offer a very easy alternative. They’ll range from £50 that will do the job to several hundred. I’m sure you’ll have comparable models.
The Lidl jam maker will take at least 18 jars or a 30lb bucket. I don't normally jar until I need it but a 30lb set bucket overnight at 42 degrees C will normally restore the bucket to runnym honey ... but the honey temp never gets above 35 degrees C. But ... the OP is in MAINE - USA so I'm not sure Lidl have got that far yet. The only ones they see to have over there are much smaller than the Silvercrest one we have access to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Fruit-Preserver-Jam-Maker/dp/B003QXB9TE

The Lidl jam maker will take at least 18 jars or a 30lb bucket. I don't normally jar until I need it but a 30lb set bucket overnight at 42 degrees C will normally restore the bucket to runnym honey ... but the honey temp never gets above 35 degrees C. But ... the OP is in MAINE - USA so I'm not sure Lidl have got that far yet. The only ones they see to have over there are much smaller than the Silvercrest one we have access to.

Yes I saw he was in Maine that’s why I suggested he’d have comparable models. Whilst they don’t have Lidl I suspect they’ll have many more alternatives!

Thanks for all this great information! I’m writing a grant to try and get funding for a honey creamer that would also warm honey. It’s a long shot. I’ll look I to these options.
I’m a female bee keeper with no experience in electronics beyond changing out a light fixture. But if I can find directions somewhere, I’m going to look into the freezer solutions. I’d like to be able to warm 27kg at a time. I hadn’t thought of jam makers but it would be a lot simpler!

Although you have no experience with electronics, this YouTube video gives a good idea of a controller you could use. He is taking a break from his channel at the moment, but he does make and sell the controllers in the US. He has other videos of the operation of the controller. All you would need to do then is plug in tube heaters.
Other than that you could purchase the plug and play version such as Inkbird ITC 308.

I love the Lidl jam maker in combination with the inkbird controller. The inkbird is just that bit more accurate and gives a temperature leeway. I use it to melt buckets of honey with water around it in the jam maker. Do make sure you use the base grid as the element will melt the plastic bucket if it is in contact with the base even if there is water there as the element is a hot spot (personal experience). Same for honey jars and can use a very old plastic bucket in it at higher temperature for wax melting with the dirty wax in the leg of ladies tights (if I am allowed to give tights a gender these days) as a filter. Gets it a bit cleaner before a J cloth filter.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I’m going to try converting an old fridge that I already have.

One last question about that. Do I need to disable the existing internal thermostat on the fridge when I plug it into the Elitech STV 1000 pro or does this added thermostat override the one in the fridge?

Thank you!!!​

Thanks for all the advice. I think I’m going to try converting an old fridge that I already have.

One last question about that. Do I need to disable the existing internal thermostat on the fridge when I plug it into the Elitech STV 1000 pro or does this added thermostat override the one in the fridge?

Thank you!!!​

Just unplug the fridge.

Just unplug the fridge.
Does that work if I want it to cool and heat? Using the Elitech device, you plug in the heater and fridge to the same plug so you can heat and cool. I’m calling the company today and report back if this actually works.

The fridge plug will only be powered on when it needs cooling, so unless you want to cool below the temperature range of the built-in thermostat I don't think there should be a problem.

James

If you want to heat and cool turn the fridge's own thermostat to below the temperature you'll ever want to cool to, and plug it in the the "cooling" socket of the device - don't forget to set the compressor protection for a reasonable time so it isn't being switched on and off every few minutes. For warming honey you won't need the cooling function though, it just makes it more complicated and uses more electricity. You're just using the fridge as a big insulated box, it'll cool below honey warming temperature passively without using the fridge mechanism.
Similarly set your heater(s) thermostats above the max temp you need (or just up full) and plug in the heater to the "heating" socket.
The fridge & heater's own thermostats won't actually get used and will remain on, the device will do the switching.
Put the sensor inside the fridge probably towards the top. Although I haven't bothered a small fan would be ideal to circulate the air so the temperature is as even as possible
I'd suggest setting the controller with 1 or 2 degrees of leeway, so it eg switches on heat when it drops below 39C and off above 41C.

I use two 30 watt oil filled heaters in an upcycled chest freezer coupled with an STC 1000 controller. There are several YT vids which explain in detail how to wire it up and set it too. It will take heating and cooling limits.

PH

My Lidl jam maker has decided not to heat up. 😩
I've been looking every week for them to come back in stock but so far no joy.

Does anyone know of something similar that has a set temperature range? The Burco/Cygnet ones just seem to have a 1-5 temp setting.

Thanks Dani, that looks great.

How long have you had yours?

My first Lidl one I returned after 3 months because it had a burning smell when turned on. Then this one 2 years before it gave up. But lost without it!

Latest posts

Back