What to do With Honey Separated in jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
I have a quantity of what was soft set honey that has separated into layers in the jar. Some, stored in my garage have re- liquified in the heat we’ve experienced. I understand that this happens in granulation with the runny stuff with the higher water content on top. The honey hasn’t started fermenting.
Would mixing it together all together, with a new seed of 10% good quality soft set, then cooling to 15C prevent this happening again and render the honey fit for sale? Or would it just separate again?

have you opened it to ensure it has not fermented

I had the same problem with my soft set honey.
During the heatwave every jar was effected.
It was like jars of honey flavoured slush.

I decided to make a new fresh batch after honey harvest is completed and once the weather cools down
Meanwhile I have been giving the slushy honey away

I know I did. Whilst some folks kindly replied I didn’t understand what could be done with it; whether it could be properly rescued for sale. So thought I‘d ask again as I have quite a lot to either ”rescue” or feed back to the bees.
Still no authoritative replies to your question!
This is why I don't like putting 'Best before' on labels. I usually keep a sample jar from every batch and I can never predict the outcome a year or two later.

Still no authoritative replies to your question!
This is why I don't like putting 'Best before' on labels. I usually keep a sample jar from every batch and I can never predict the outcome a year or two later.
I think perhaps it’s something most folks haven’t found an answer to - except Enrico, who sold it on as a benefit!
I‘m going to experiment with some of it by adding new seed and mixing, hoping it doesn’t separate again. I‘ll monitor it over six months and if ok will sell on. The rest will be fed back to the bees as soon as the final supers are off. At least it will reduce my sugar purchases and it did belong to the bees initially.
Another conundrum for me is why it (apparently) happens less, or not at all, if honey is stored the same amount of time in buckets, not jars.
There‘s more to this beekeeping lark than I ever imagined.
I hope you’ve had some rain - we’ve had a bit but not enough to do much good yet.

I think perhaps it’s something most folks haven’t found an answer to - except Enrico, who sold it on as a benefit!
I‘m going to experiment with some of it by adding new seed and mixing, hoping it doesn’t separate again. I‘ll monitor it over six months and if ok will sell on. The rest will be fed back to the bees as soon as the final supers are off. At least it will reduce my sugar purchases and it did belong to the bees initially.
Another conundrum for me is why it (apparently) happens less, or not at all, if honey is stored the same amount of time in buckets, not jars.
There‘s more to this beekeeping lark than I ever imagined.
I hope you’ve had some rain - we’ve had a bit but not enough to do much good yet.
Yes, I've never had the honey separate in buckets - but most buckets jarred and sold within 9 months.
Rain? Really none since early June, despite reports of floods in surrounding counties! In this week of supposed thunderstorms we've had maybe two light showers each lasting 5-10 minutes - I was working in the garden and no need to take shelter.
Just 50cm of water in our well so cannot use it to water the garden or fill the pond.
I guess local farmers will be unable to direct-drill OSR - normally sown this month

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
If you warm it you can sell it as runny honey.
It won't make decent soft set ever again.

Yes, I've never had the honey separate in buckets - but most buckets jarred and sold within 9 months.
Rain? Really none since early June, despite reports of floods in surrounding counties! In this week of supposed thunderstorms we've had maybe two light showers each lasting 5-10 minutes - I was working in the garden and no need to take shelter.
Just 50cm of water in our well so cannot use it to water the garden or fill the pond.
I guess local farmers will be unable to direct-drill OSR - normally sown this month
I used to live in Suffolk and it was always a dry county compared to most, but this year seems exceptional. I’m on clay and the cracks in the land this year are impressive. Makes me a little worried about house foundations!
I hope you get a good soaking soon.
Looks like my query has been answered by Nige and Dani. So it’s going to be bee feed sadly.

If you warm it you can sell it as runny honey.
It won't make decent soft set ever again.
Thanks Nigel, you’ve answered my query. I was chucked out of the chemistry class at school. Perhaps if I’d paid more attention I might understand a bit more about this......

I used to live in Suffolk and it was always a dry county compared to most, but this year seems exceptional. I’m on clay and the cracks in the land this year are impressive. Makes me a little worried about house foundations!
I hope you get a good soaking soon.
Looks like my query has been answered by Nige and Dani. So it’s going to be bee feed sadly.
Bee feed!
Keep it for yourself.

Bee feed!
Keep it for yourself.
There’s more than I can eat and still have teeth and not have diabetes.
I will keep some just to see what it’s like and what happens as the cold weather arrives.
I could (I suppose) drain off the runny stuff into one storage container and unite the set stuff together, but I don’t understand what will happen and it’s a lot of faff.
I wouldn’t feel confident in selling it if I did - I only sell through one local shop, so I don’t want to risk spoiling the reputation of the product I’ve built up thus far.

There’s more than I can eat and still have teeth and not have diabetes.
I will keep some just to see what it’s like and what happens as the cold weather arrives.
I could (I suppose) drain off the runny stuff into one storage container and unite the set stuff together, but I don’t understand what will happen and it’s a lot of faff.
I wouldn’t feel confident in selling it if I did - I only sell through one local shop, so I don’t want to risk spoiling the reputation of the product I’ve built up thus far.
Put it in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back