frame supplier

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leigh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I see the spring convention is upon us. I made the mistake two years ago of buying "second quality wood" frames from the country's main supplier.

The majority of these were used as kindling in the end - the routs and machining on the sidebars were several mm out and lead to foundation being "wonky" in the vertical plane. I won't be making that mistake again. However, I need to do another big buy.

Does anyone have any recommendations of other frame suppliers who might not be quite so extortionate on "first quality" frames, specifically 14x12 and bs shallow?

Caddon Hives maybe, not tried their frames but hives are good for the price.

Last edited:
I just cut the foundation to ensure it is not wonky.
2nds the way to go on frames - we only keep them 3 years.

Got an SN4 sample from Ab£lo and am satisfied with the quality - they appear knot free. Not just as cheap as seconds from the 'usual suspects' but a good price and there may be some room for negotiation on the price of large orders. Have shown the sample to a number of other local beekeepers and it is likely that an order will be placed for DN5 frames when they get them into stock. Can't currently justify the price of DN5 frames from National B££ Supplies even though I prefer their side bar design as discussed a wee while back on the forum.

If you are talking about Big T, I have used seconds frames from them for years and never has any real complaint - only losing around the two per cent (mainly cross-grained top bars) over all. They are seconds for a reason and sometimes some selection needs to be made, but never any real problems of not being within a mm (or a tad over) of nominal dimensions.

Thanks for the info. It was Big T. Maybe I was unlucky....grain and knots I can cope with in second quality, but wildly inaccurate machining is no good. Might give them one more try Oliver. Black Comb: the foundation was wonky because the vertical channels in the side bars were not vertical....made a very significant difference on 14x12 frames, making the spacing of built comb horribly irregular.

Thanks for the info. It was Big T. Maybe I was unlucky....grain and knots I can cope with in second quality, but wildly inaccurate machining is no good. Might give them one more try Oliver. Black Comb: the foundation was wonky because the vertical channels in the side bars were not vertical....made a very significant difference on 14x12 frames, making the spacing of built comb horribly irregular.

Langstroths (which I mainly use) do not have these vertical side channels. I doubt if they are necessary as the bees build the comb quite straight without them (providing foundation is not wonky of course).

You need to speak to ITLD I believe he has experience in this field

Is he a bit like the scarecrow who got an award,
for being outstanding in his field !

If you are talking about Big T, I have used seconds frames from them for years and never has any real complaint - only losing around the two per cent (mainly cross-grained top bars) over all. They are seconds for a reason and sometimes some selection needs to be made, but never any real problems of not being within a mm (or a tad over) of nominal dimensions.

:iagree:

I have used both T's and maisies second quality - neither I nor the bees have had a problem - I've got a pile of both up in the attic (must have been left there by my uncle Rhys - he had bees when he lived here back in the 1950's :D) and so far haven't had one that's unuseable (the odd wedge breaking on a dead knot demanding an extra gimp pin that's all)

Never seen plastic frames before, are they any good?

Unbelievable prices from this firm. I suppose there would be a fair bit of red tape and import taxes to get stuff sent over, but does anyone fancy going in on getting foundation rollers sent over at 50-100$ a piece ?(minimum order 2)

I found some extractors there last year for about £30 each, but for anything you need to deal with them for the best price..

We use here simple frames and two wires. The quality of wood is important. No knots or internal tensions.

If foundation is too tight, I cut a slice from them.
Under gap must have 10 mm to expand and sides 2 mm.

If wood has a knot, it makes a curve in the hive. I cast them off at once.

Latest posts

Back