Extractor problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
In a reply on this thread, I explained my mixed feelings about my low-end 4-frame tangential SS extractor; basically OK, but querying the quality of this kind of kit. The response I drew was, “buy cheap, buy twice.” Too true.

So, today, after some other previous niggles, my extractor (only 4 years old now) has had a major fail. Basically, the gears are shredded. See attached photos.

I write this post as I cannot be the only one to have suffered an extractor gear failure.

I am also surprised - even though it is a super-niche item - that I cannot find a UK or EU-based supplier of generic spares. There are some items on flea-bay, but they are all from China, and - quite aside from fitness for purpose (which is a complete punt) - all have a decent lead-time.

I still have plenty of honey to extract this season. I could, I guess:

* try flea-bay, and seek to borrow the assoc. extractor in the meantime
* try and seek out a complete gear head / handle (e.g. http://www.giordaninox.it/en/products/1/26/243) - that fits (or I can make fit); though again, probably like rocking-horse droppings
* approach a local fabricator to see if they will make like-for-like replacement gears
* sod it, and just go and buy a decent new extractor
* … or, follow some alternative advice

What would you do / have you done in this situation ?

BTW, if I do get it fixed, I would like to grease the bottom bearing in the extractor (i.e. beneath the cage). Given this sits in close proximity to the spun honey (which I clearly don’t want to taint), what would I use ?

Thanks kindly.
Craig

slough.jpg

gears.jpg

Hi boy wonder i would go the route of association extractor and invest in some better kit.......there is a food grade lubricant similar to wd40 i will find out its name tomorrow or you could just google...i normaly just nick it off my butcher friend who uses it in the mincer or sausage/burger mixer its 100% food safe

Bottom bearings in most decent hobby extractors are a single contact point (cage sits on a ball bearing). Lubricated with honey?

Or convert to electric, Lega do a small motor conversion for about £175, speak to CWJ that is where I got mine from and has done four years with no issue, or the big T for a larger version.

I always use a food oil, sunflower or olive or such like to lubricate just in case it gets in the honey, but it never has,

try this you may want to google it and confirm yourself........cd 90 nsf h1 chain and drive lubricant....rated for incidental food contact....just double check you get the food grade 1

Last edited:
You can get food grade grease from coffee machine suppliers, I use it to grease the cam on my coffee machine, check out Bella Barista in Wellingborough.

Thorne's recommend vegetable oil be used on their Octimel extractor 'bearing' (which is in fact a bolt with a hole drilled in it to accept the bottom of the cage shaft) and state that honey should not be allowed to come into contact with said 'bearing'.

Thorne's recommend vegetable oil be used on their Octimel extractor 'bearing' (which is in fact a bolt with a hole drilled in it to accept the bottom of the cage shaft) and state that honey should not be allowed to come into contact with said 'bearing'.
Interesting. Whilst I have taken the top bar off several times (to properly remove the cage, and thoroughly clean), I have never removed or otherwise got up close and personal with the bottom bar - in which the shaft of the cage sits. The clue being that that it looks like it hosts a bolt, and is an alleged 'Unimel' (?) bought sold as seen from Thorne's, on a Sale Day... maybe I am overthinking the complexity of the engineering here [emoji16] Crap welds, crap bolts, crap design and crap gears. However I end up limping through the rest of this season, I am now firmly decided on saving hard to buy some quality European kit for next season. Thanks all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back