Raising your honey extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I need to find a way to raise my honey extractor a bit. It's a 4 frame tangential one. At first I used it without legs on my kitchen table on top of a blanket but last year I used it on the legs but it was not quite high enough to fit over my buckets so I propped it up on books which was a bit of a disaster but needs must at the time. Anyway I am obviously looking for a better way for this year. I've seen lots of pictures of frames that have been made some on wheels. But someone suggested chair raisers, or elephants feet I think they are often called. Has anyone used these or do you have a simple solution? Before you ask - no I cannot make something - useless at DIY!

Hi, I need to find a way to raise my honey extractor a bit. It's a 4 frame tangential one. At first I used it without legs on my kitchen table on top of a blanket but last year I used it on the legs but it was not quite high enough to fit over my buckets so I propped it up on books which was a bit of a disaster but needs must at the time. Anyway I am obviously looking for a better way for this year. I've seen lots of pictures of frames that have been made some on wheels. But someone suggested chair raisers, or elephants feet I think they are often called. Has anyone used these or do you have a simple solution? Before you ask - no I cannot make something - useless at DIY!
How much do you need to raise it by ?
What are the existing legs like ?

What most people do is make a board to mount the legs on and then put some castors on the board to give it some height ... Not really DIY ... More blue peter ..

MIne was a bit more complicated .... but Dani has a nice job done by Stan.

Extractor question #Post 29

Try a plastic container large enough to stand the extractor in, fill it with sand or something voila one extractor stand.
How much do you need to raise it by ?
What are the existing legs like ?

What most people do is make a board to mount the legs on and then put some castors on the board to give it some height ... Not really DIY ... More blue peter ..

MIne was a bit more complicated .... but Dani has a nice job done by Stan.

Extractor question #Post 29
Beware FOD ! 😇

The beauty of having it on a frame on wheels is that it takes away any unbalanced frames making it 'walk' . I adapted an old kitchen unit on wheels I bought years ago. It just happens to be a perfect height. I put a strap on the front so I can tilt the extractor against it for running off the dregs. I can upload a photo if you want a better idea!

The beauty of having it on a frame on wheels is that it takes away any unbalanced frames making it 'walk' . I adapted an old kitchen unit on wheels I bought years ago. It just happens to be a perfect height. I put a strap on the front so I can tilt the extractor against it for running off the dregs. I can upload a photo if you want a better idea!
Yes a photo would be good. Working out how to tilt it securely is another problem. I've come to the conclusion I'm wasting an awful lot

Sounds like the OP has a Spanish extractor (Manuel?)
putting that on castors would be a nightmare
Yes a photo would be good. Working out how to tilt it securely is another problem. I've come to the conclusion I'm wasting an awful lot
this is my effort at a base . Should the extractor begin to shudder its easy to place ones foot on the frame and reduce the speed a tad , 688ABDD1-D355-4170-A04E-146FCBE99C63.jpeg

Hi
I was an Occupational Therapist and used elephant feet to raise my patients chairs. They would not be the best thing to use for an extractor, especially when you are spinning the frames. Chairs fitted with elephant feet raisers should be positioned against a wall to prevent tipping when a person sits down heavily. There is a risk that the movement of the extractor could tip it off the raisers.
Is there a ‘Men / Women Shed’ near to you? They may be able to make you a support frame. Their members are local people who get together for company and do diy projects, big and small.

I screw mine onto a pallet which gives good stability plus it allows me to fit a 30lb bucket under the valve so I can extract and empty at the same time.

Castors are a good idea for several reasons

They raise the extractor to give clearance for a bucket
They make it much easier to move the extractor
Most importantly, they allow the extractor to move (oscillate) if there is an imbalance. This relieves stresses on the legs, which could fail otherwise.

First thing needed is details of the extractor. The number of instances where the cage could have been raised to increase the storage capacity is unsurprising, I suppose.

Mine has the cage raised as close to the winding mechanism as possible, so that I don’t need to drain the honey any more often than necessary - at which point a lath of wood under the two front feet allows the rear leg to be lifted high enough to drain nearly all the extracted honey, from the extractor into a standard 10 or 12 1/2 litre plastic bucket, before continuing extracting.

Mine is a three frame tangential extractor (or more usually a nine frame radial).

First thing needed is details of the extractor. The number of instances where the cage could have been raised to increase the storage capacity is unsurprising, I suppose.

Mine has the cage raised as close to the winding mechanism as possible, so that I don’t need to drain the honey any more often than necessary - at which point a lath of wood under the two front feet allows the rear leg to be lifted high enough to drain nearly all the extracted honey, from the extractor into a standard 10 or 12 1/2 litre plastic bucket, before continuing extracting.

Mine is a three frame tangential extractor (or more usually a nine frame radial).
The Konigin has a bottom bearing the integrity of which would be compromised !
this is mounted in an inverted cone which the height of honey mustn’t reach !

Mine has the cage raised as close to the winding mechanism as possible, so that I don’t need to drain the honey any more often than necessary.

I did that with my Lega extractor ... as standard the cage was very close to the bottom and not only does it increase the storage in the extractor it also stops the bottom of the cage or frame lugs dragging through the honey. It was a very easy modification - my cage is just located on the spindle with a disc and a grub screw... managed to raise it a good 2 " ... doesn't sound a lot but it relates to another 12 litres of honey before I have to empty it... great mod Rab ... I don't think it has ever been mentioned before...

I did that with my Lega extractor ... as standard the cage was very close to the bottom and not only does it increase the storage in the extractor it also stops the bottom of the cage or frame lugs dragging through the honey. It was a very easy modification - my cage is just located on the spindle with a disc and a grub screw... managed to raise it a good 2 " ... doesn't sound a lot but it relates to another 12 litres of honey before I have to empty it... great mod Rab ... I don't think it has ever been mentioned before...
The Konigin is easily adjusted by a fair margin but alas the bearing prob thwarts you !
yet Thornes tell you that you can use a power washer to clean it 🤔

I wish I had a temporary sore back bending over an extractor full of honey.

the integrity of which would be compromised !

Say no more. Seems a bit like a compromised design to me. You pays your money and get what you pays for - as they say - I suppose. My Lega cost either 160-170 quid or perhaps over 200, a looong time ago. And that was only for a manual machine.

Latest posts

Back