A platform for the extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 plus 12 owned by others
Would anyone care to share an idea or a photo of a base they've made of their extractor - something to fit the wheels under. My wheels are fitted directly to the feet of the extractor legs, but the choice of wheels is limited if you're doing things that way. I think the job could be done better, so I'd like to try a wooden base. Pictures and ideas gratefully received.

A three sided triangle with castor wheels on. Will post a photo later

I’m just about to make something similar but haven’t got a piece of ply big enough so I’m making a T of 4x2 with plywood gussets top and bottom.

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg
That is an amazingly detailed engineering solution!

Would anyone care to share an idea or a photo of a base they've made of their extractor - something to fit the wheels under. My wheels are fitted directly to the feet of the extractor legs, but the choice of wheels is limited if you're doing things that way. I think the job could be done better, so I'd like to try a wooden base. Pictures and ideas gratefully received.

I went minimal, both on effort and materials. So my support is a "T"-shaped construction of 38 x 25mm battens joined with a simple, half-lap joint.. The feet of the extractor are obviously screwed to the frame and I had some spare castors reclaimed from an item I scrapped years ago.

Thanks for all these ideas and pictures - and links to older threads. (I must manage better with the Search facility!) I have a 12 frame Koningen, so it's not light. The base will have to be robust. I have an idea of a way to sit the extractor on the base without permanently fixing it. Carrying the unit up some steps into the kitchen takes care, effort, and thick gloves for the two of us, so I don't want to make it any heavier. I'll post a picture when I get my version done.

Thanks for all these ideas and pictures - and links to older threads. (I must manage better with the Search facility!) I have a 12 frame Koningen, so it's not light. The base will have to be robust. I have an idea of a way to sit the extractor on the base without permanently fixing it. Carrying the unit up some steps into the kitchen takes care, effort, and thick gloves for the two of us, so I don't want to make it any heavier. I'll post a picture when I get my version done.
I have the same machine which is a bit of a beast hence my use of 4x2 and ply gussets which should support it well.

Oh dear!
I feel so ashamed of my amateur affair now, even though it does the job wonderfully well.
I am clearly in exalted company on here......

I hope to make mine early next week and I'll post when done. If you get there ahead of me, let me know if there's any pitfalls to avoid.
I'm away with the grandkids this week so will try to do it early next week.

Oh dear!
I feel so ashamed of my amateur affair now, even though it does the job wonderfully well.
I am clearly in exalted company on here......
Don't be ... When I'd made the undercarriage for my extractor ... I found it was just too wide to go through the kitchen door ! Measuring is not one of my strong suits !

Latest posts

Back