found a sad hive next door!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epilog ( for those who remember the FBI tv series)

In my intense desire to edit to the point of perfection all the poor grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, ( had to google "heinous"!) I managed to mistakenly post twice near - identical messages.

For Those for whom the cap fits, you could benefit from reading it twice? Maybe print it out and stick a copy above your keyboard.

Those with nothing better to do can play "spot the difference."

Shalom

FB

Hay did we goo on befoor spell chequers

I find that when, which is hardly ever now, that I write something by hand, the spelling is correct.... Its the just that a lot of us seem to have dyslexic fingers. I nearly always type form instead of from.

But I believe like a court bailife a court / magistrates order / warrant, has to be in place, to gain access?
only the Customs and Excise can go barging in anywhere! ?????

No, i don't believe they do,they have more power than the police in this respect.

They also have the power of entry to entry to premises they suspect may contain beekeeping equipment......

i would not expect any thing else to come from the key boards of a heratic like me but if i was to find an old hive like that near my bees i would do one of two things ,

first one is a very quick inspection to see what the desease/varroa situation is like,

and if i did not like it i would destroy it!!

... There are comments made on this very forum where lack of basic ettiquette is overlooked because of an indivuduals supposed superior beekeeping knowledge?.....

fredbloggs I do have to agree. It is such a shame that there are individuals that have this trait.

It does make it hard for inexperienced beeks to ask those important questions at times of crisis without what appears to be a certain amount of ritualistic verbal flogging. We were all beginners once; desperate for advice when things wern't going right .... The same questions will always be asked from now till eternity..

However on a more pleasant note, it does make my day when the experts come out with comments that show they are not quite as expert as they think they are ...

They also have the power of entry to entry to premises they suspect may contain beekeeping equipment......

Yes thats what i thought.

Power of entry.

(1)For the purpose of exercising any power conferred on him by or under section 1 of this Act an authorised person may at any time enter—

(a)any premises or other place; or

(b)any vessel, boat, hovercraft aircraft or vehicle of any other description;

on or in which he has reasonable grounds for supposing there are or have been any bees or other things subject to control under an order under that section.

(2)A person seeking to enter any premises or other place, or any vessel, boat, hovercraft, aircraft or other vehicle in exercise of the power of entry under this section, shall, if so required by or on behalf of the owner or occupier or person in charge, produce evidence of his authority before entering.

(3)Any person who intentionally obstructs a person acting in exercise of the power of entry under this section shall be liable on summary conviction, or, in Scotland, on conviction by a court of summary jurisdiction, to a fine not exceeding [F1level 3 on the standard scale].

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/12/section/2

Bee Ginner after asking the forum for advice what is your plan of action? Is it inspect yourself or is it Bee Inspector?

my current plan is to offer help/ask if i could take a look at them, then on the strength of what i find offer them advice on the best course of action if any is needed.

Just wanted to point out I am not a part of the agree with anybody brigade. We are all adults and, as twig like as I am, if someone speaks to me in a manner I don't appreciate, I will tell them. Maybe I've been lucky, with the exception of one person, everyone has been nothing but helpful on the forum. I just ignored that person and moved onto another thread because I could make out really what they were on about anyway ;)

Do we not have any bee inspectors as members of the forum. This is a matter I think every beekeeper ought to be aware of. I kind of have the same issue coming up I think, people with no guidance, bees being left to it because the keepers don't know what to do. I expect another colony to be in trouble soon too.....maybe we could do with a sticky on exactly what rights people have, and who to contact.

Sad really , maybe the next generation will be born without legs ?

The horse and cart has been around for a while now and that hasn't happened.

Local landlady in a tiss' because tills went down and none of her young bright staff could do simple arithmetic , leaving her to do all the reckoning up of order costs and change to be given!.
Sad really.

Didn't they have phones on them?

Bees Act 1980
1980 CHAPTER 12An Act to make new provision for the control of pests and diseases affecting bees.

MAFF seemed to be the ministry who appointed approved bee inspectors, now has this been passed to DEFRA or down to the Environment Agency,,,, 0r local government??

Like all acts the 1980 act took in other parts of other acts and probably has been superceeded my more acts since, however it seems that there is official control of bee disease recognised at government level with quite sweeping powers of access.

Bit like the Old 1851 (1823) (1954)Gas act... still used if a gas leak or theft of gas is suspected!!

anyone got an update on all this??
interesting

Last edited:
fredbloggs I do have to agree. It is such a shame that there are individuals that have this trait.

It does make it hard for inexperienced beeks to ask those important questions at times of crisis without what appears to be a certain amount of ritualistic verbal flogging. We were all beginners once; desperate for advice when things wern't going right .... The same questions will always be asked from now till eternity..

However on a more pleasant note, it does make my day when the experts come out with comments that show they are not quite as expert as they think they are ...

:iagree: well said

perhaps people will start to listen to what some are now saying and maybe censure those that need to be.

So who is "an authorised person" in this context?

Chris

I would imagine bee inspectors or anyone working for fera,maff,defra or whatever they have currently decided to call themselves...who carrys the right credentials.

Ok - to yet further emphasise the point.

Just one example (there are many) would be the thread started by me warning of the sharp edges on a thxxxes hive metal roof that had cut my hand. One considerate sole went to the trouble of posting a cartoon depicting a coffin with the inscription "common sense" being buried in a grave under a R.I.P headstone. ? Well the sense of humour (read mentality) who thinks that such a response is deserving of such a serious issue (ie could cause serious damage to a young finger) and you are not far away from the posters who find the time to "contribute" posts whose sole purpose is to mock the lack of accurate spelling ability of other posters ??

It is a shame that the cartoon poster could not have spent the time and effort making a more positive (read informative) contribution?

Fred

just to be factually acurate, it was not a cartoon ;)

if you were that bothered by the post maybe you should have commented on the thread that it was unsuitable, or PM'd me.

the question that I posted was 'would you run your hand along the edge of a carving knife?'

There seems to be two threads mixed into one here; one on the issue of the original poster and one on how replies are made. The second thread makes it difficult to follow the original thread so perhaps these posts should be in their own thread and so people interested in those can view them there?

Welcome to the forum vince 20 and welcome to the real world - you want advice. don't expect it wrapped up in nice paper and a bow.
i do live in the real world and yes i do care about my bees and any other bees and if i saw hives or a hive i tought was being neglected i would inspect it only because i care. so you lot would rather see them die of neglect just goes to show who cares and who dont

Hi Vince
You may want to update your profile as it states that you don't have any bees.

This has all been completely blown out of proportion... Isn't someone allowed to say that they believe that something is fundamentally wrong and unacceptable???

Ben P

Last edited:
i do live in the real world and yes i do care about my bees and any other bees and if i saw hives or a hive i tought was being neglected i would inspect it only because i care. so you lot would rather see them die of neglect just goes to show who cares and who dont

Thing is Vince, we all probably agree that these bees are being neglected. But one mans opinion and observation can be wrong. The guy who interferes with our colony is honestly of the opinion that I am a beginner, therefore need his watchful eye on what I'm doing. Thing is, he knows naff all, it's just he's had bees longer than me. ( on his 3rd colony in 2 years )

I would definitley not suggest leaving them to it, that would be irresponsible. I would suggest getting someone with authority such as the bee inspector. That way it saves both parties a lot of hassle. It's the safest bet all round :)

Back