found a sad hive next door!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes thats what i thought.

Power of entry.

(1)For the purpose of exercising any power conferred on him by or under section 1 of this Act an authorised person may at any time enter—

(a)any premises or other place; or

(b)any vessel, boat, hovercraft aircraft or vehicle of any other description;

on or in which he has reasonable grounds for supposing there are or have been any bees or other things subject to control under an order under that section.

(2)A person seeking to enter any premises or other place, or any vessel, boat, hovercraft, aircraft or other vehicle in exercise of the power of entry under this section, shall, if so required by or on behalf of the owner or occupier or person in charge, produce evidence of his authority before entering.

(3)Any person who intentionally obstructs a person acting in exercise of the power of entry under this section shall be liable on summary conviction, or, in Scotland, on conviction by a court of summary jurisdiction, to a fine not exceeding [F1level 3 on the standard scale].

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/12/section/2

So who is "an authorised person" in this context?

Chris

An authorised person is a person authorised by the commissioners of customs and Excise IE a Customs officer - evidence if his authority is his Queen's commission or in some cases the writ of assistance (first granted by Charles II) a sort of search warrant that doesn't need to be issued by a magistrate.Authorised person could also in some circumstances be a police constable directed by a Customs officer by virtue of his commission (a constable or any member of the armed forces was obliged to carry out an officers request)
All this however has been superceded by the Commissioner of Revenue and Customs act 2005 (same kind of powers but no commission) when Gordon Brown laid waste a proud service founded by Charles II to raise money to fund the new Royal Navy and combined it with the inland revenue (less said the better). Now further amalgamated with HM Immigration to form the Border agency.
Therefore authorised person is now either certain officers of Revenue and customs or Border agency warranted officers. Clear now?:D
But what the hell has this to do with bees!?:willy_nilly: :)

Oh there's also section 82 on CEMA '79. - Customs and Excise Management act which gives the officer access and the right to beach, moor or land his craft on any quay,creek wharf etc connected to the sea for whatever purpose (But he can't go through a garden or pleasure park) :D:D

Oh there's also section 82 on CEMA '79. - Customs and Excise Management act which gives the officer access and the right to beach, moor or land his craft on any quay,creek wharf etc connected to the sea for whatever purpose (But he can't go through a garden or pleasure park) :D:D

OR a Naval Dockyard !
not worthy

But what the hell has this to do with bees!?

Quite a lot, being as we are talking about bee inspectors.

And the quote above is about the bees act.

Last edited:
:banghead:
if they belong to your neighbour then surley its up to them to say yes or no you can have a look through. as for the beekeeper if its been 5 or 6 years then he/she may have lost the enthusiasm..it does happen, and will be happening a lot more in 4 or 5 years time. those that post often on here are still very keen granted but there will be a lot who are getting bored with it believe me !!

:iagree:This is what I was thinking. its a similar situation that I was in a couple of years ago. one of my OH customers had a hive that was looked after by someone else but she hadnt seen them for a while etc etc, she couldnt imagine that they hadnt bee to look at hive. but some of you may remember the mess I found 3 brood boxes full of wax moth, wasps, empty hanging wires where all the wax had been destroyed by moth. Really bad state. Owner not beekeeper asked me to help and I now look after them (well try to!) so basically if your neighbour owns the colony then get in and have a look, if not then might be easier to contact your inspector. ATB!

A general concensus it seems is, in the case of a dodgy hive, attempt to find out whom owns the hive and who owns the land the hive is on, and then pass all the information onto the Bee Inspector, who will no doubt appreciate your vigilance and sort any problems out in an offical way, as he alone has the powers of access and knowledge of notifyable bee disease.
Do not go pileing in with petrol bombs or taking sneekie looks at the bees!

A lot of the Bee Act is aimed at giving Inspectors the powers to search to prevent importation of infected / diseased bees into the UK... and once here to search out and destroy !

Good thread, not quite sure if left or right handed tho!

But what the hell has this to do with bees!?

Quite a lot, being as we are talking about bee inspectors.

And the quote above is about the bees act.

got you now - crossed wires with a previous post regarding customs officers and the fact just finished exercising various parts of the act I qoted over a seventeen hour period!! reading again makes perfect sense sorry! having 4 hours sleep in the last 48 doesn't :):redface:

Right here we go again

First up
-------------------------
Ben.Pullan

This has all been completely blown out of proportion... Isn't someone allowed to say that they believe that something is fundamentally wrong and unacceptable???

Yes - they are and you will find if you read the thread that that is precisely what I am doing ?????

Fred,

Read my post again - it was directed at Silly bee, not you.

There are two posts on this thread whereby the poster being impolite and having been taken to task by a third party states "I wasn't being rude to you ! - I was being rude to him" ! Ohhhh ....... so that's OK then??
---------------------------------

Next up

TAFF

just to be factually acurate, it was not a cartoon

if you were that bothered by the post maybe you should have commented on the thread that it was unsuitable, or PM'd me.

the question that I posted was 'would you run your hand along the edge of a carving knife?'

Its nice to see that having used you as an example of "how not to make a post" you don't disappoint when it comes to donating good example material.

You obviously wish to enter into semantics on the terminology for your drawing - "cartoon" works fine for me and probably every other reasonably minded person.

I expect a knife to be sharp - even if it is not. Therefore I do not run my finger along it. I do not expect a kitted hive roof to have sharp edges that cut my fingers. In the belief that my post was both informative and public spirited , to those who have not had the benefit of elementary metal work lessons ( I have - but I still got cut??) and have kids who like to play with the meccano of hive parts and wives who like to "tidy" , I thought (silly me) that my post (intended to warn the initiated to the potential dangers) deserved a better response than the ridicule it received from you.

I did not post a response at the time because you were not worth the effort.

A PM from me would have contained language you would not want to read - the point is I am trying to raise the standards of the postings and not lower my own.

and Finally ..........
-----------------------------------

Flatters

There seems to be two threads mixed into one here; one on the issue of the original poster and one on how replies are made. The second thread makes it difficult to follow the original thread so perhaps these posts should be in their own thread and so people interested in those can view them there?

Yes you are entirely right - but that is not a novel situation. This situation manifests itself frequently as responses to postings develop separate lines of conversation - as they do in conversation? . Frequently threads get crossed with a separate subject line developing. However, it's not that difficult to see in this one which posts belong in which camp. For my part I wonder how many times I have to say "Read what I wrote" to those who clearly have not but still manage to post factually incorrect comments where they have failed to grasp what is going on.

However - For the sake of clarity and more importantly - because the subject of the need for etiquette to address the lack of basic manners encompasses the entire forum (and not just this one thread), I will move any further comments of mine on the subject to a new thread.

Watch this space.

Regards

Fred Bloggs

i spoke to the neighbour yesterday and told him what i felt and offered help if they needed it, however he doesn,t want to upset the beek which i can understand .He is however going to speak to him and hopefully put him in touch with me and i will probably be working directly in front of the hive later this week and can see what the bee activity is during the day.
at the moment i will leave it at that and hopefully there will be some action, if not then it may be time to talk to a bee inspector.

i spoke to the neighbour yesterday and told him what i felt and offered help if they needed it, however he doesn,t want to upset the beek which i can understand .He is however going to speak to him and hopefully put him in touch with me and i will probably be working directly in front of the hive later this week and can see what the bee activity is during the day.
at the moment i will leave it at that and hopefully there will be some action, if not then it may be time to talk to a bee inspector.

Best way forward - diplomatic whilst still leaving you and your neighbour room to maneuvre. Your neighbour also knows that you have got the SBI to fall back on with his legal powers if all goes peetong :)

Of course there may well be nothing wrong with the bees, bees can live without being poked about every week or two.:D

Chris

Of course there may well be nothing wrong with the bees, bees can live without being poked about every week or two.:D

Chris

yes of course they can but because of all the reasons that i mentioned in the original post i felt worried that they aren,t doing well, time will tell.

as a full bown hairy builder can i just say that the use of the D word is totaly out of order. foul langue on sites is allowed but never the D word theres just no need to use such langue, lol

at six foot two and the wrong side of 18 stone the last thing i can ever be called is diplomatic, even i am using it now, the standards on this forum are truely slipping, i think i should go and have a sit down and a coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but you are right your way is much safer and easier than mine,

at six foot two and the wrong side of 18 stone the last thing i can ever be called is diplomatic,

What has height and size got to be with being diplomatic? Or for that matter being either brown, hairy or a builder?

and why this...

but you are right your way is much safer and easier than mine,

Very strange.

Chris

I have spoken to all the different parties about the bee,s now and although they seem to take a very laid back style of looking after them they are being treated for varroa and looked at. the general idea is i think simply to have bee,s but with no real interest in honey. The numbers are looking very healthy now with a LOT of activity unlike originaly,i wonder if when i saw them first they had just swarmed as they are left to do what they want. Anyway i am happy they are healthy and no threat to my hives and next year i will have a couple of bait hives the other side of the hedge to soak up some of the swarms :) thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

stuart not worthy

Good news beeginner.

Just out of interest can anyone clarify whether a bee inspector would be in the slightest bit interested in a potentially abandoned hive?
Unless there was a real suspicion of serious disease I would imagine they would keep well out of it - rather than mounting a full scale commando raid!

Why would that be of any more or less interest than a wild feral colony or whatever you want to call them?

I really do find attitudes on this subject interesting as I have unmanaged colonies that I just leave alone and don't even take honey from, and of course there are colonies in trees, roofs etc round here as well. In fact in a couple of months I'm going to "shut" some in for a day while the owner renders round their entrance, then open them up again so they can continue living in his cavity wall. The other week I did some "management" on another house wall colony to change their entrance position and prevent them going in the house.:cool:

No wonder there is a shortage of "feral" colonies in the UK.

Chris

Last edited:
hi chris, i think you said in a previouse post you dont have to treat for varroa ,if that,s the case your very fortunate (must be on a ley line :smilielol5:) but generaly its a big problem and worries people so we just want to do the best we can. obviously we cant deal with feral colonies, but if they were doing so well in the wild on there own surely they would bee everywhere????

Latest posts

Back