found a sad hive next door!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum vince 20 and welcome to the real world - you want advice. don't expect it wrapped up in nice paper and a bow.

I think that vince ( like the OP) was expecting politeness and common courtesy. Sadly, in the real world - and for certain contributors to this forum ?? This does not manifest itself.

This does not mean "they" should cease to expect it but that the " i speaks my mind - take it or leave it" ignoranti should be challenged on every occasion?...

Reasoned (and polite) rant complete.

FB

Ps not sure on the "ignoranti" but wanted to convey the polite term for ignorant opinionated individuals who seriously need to address their posting style? There are some who would not dare turn up to somerfords summer bash and identify themselves for fear of a queue waiting to give them a thick ear?

if they belong to your neighbour then surley its up to them to say yes or no you can have a look through. as for the beekeeper if its been 5 or 6 years then he/she may have lost the enthusiasm..it does happen, and will be happening a lot more in 4 or 5 years time. those that post often on here are still very keen granted but there will be a lot who are getting bored with it believe me !!

expecting politeness and common courtesy.

Fred Bloggs,

The people whose property the hive was on would expect politeness and common courtesy - like being consulted about the hive.

However there are some on the forum who apparently feel they do not need to keep within the bounds of common courtesy. My comments were directed to those type and those type only. There is already enough scum around who would steal anything at any opportunity. This type of behaviour is akin to that - just one step away from it.

I am sure joy riders and the like should be treated politely if caught breaking into a car (after all, they were only going 'to try it out'), or car thieves that just wanted to see what type of music you played on your CD or what type of sat nav is best - 'wasn't going to steal it, guv' I hear them say.

People, who simply do not care about interfering with other people's property should not be encouraged to do so, especially on an open forum.

Yes, the scum that removed Kaz's queen from the hive, if apprehended before they had found the queen, would, no doubt, have claimed they were only 'looking'. Yeah right!

If you are one of those type (I wouldn't care if it was wrong, anti-social and downright illegal), stand up and be counted, because, I, for one, would not be letting that type anywhere near any of my property.

Totally agree with RAB on this and....

Leave it to the bee inspector and if they think it is being neglected let them take it away.

Really? Is that the case in the UK that a hive can be taken away?

They would be kept busy in France, there are hives like that everywhere and I suspect the owners would go ballistic if they were touched or removed.

Chris

The NBU issues guidance on Abandoned Hives:

http://www.*************/files/library/abandoned_hives_1306906293.pdf

This is clearly isn't abandoned as it's on somebody else's property!

You might not like the sight of the car the neighbour has left un-used on their drive for the past ten years, but you can't touch that either! ;)

Talk to the Bee Inspector and see what they think.

I agree with you Vince, if I thought my bees were at risk, I'd deal with it asp.

If it looks neglected, it probably is.

No, you just agree with Vince because you're part of the "let's get RAB into trouble because he is speaking the hard truth club"...

Imagine if you suddenly saw a complete stranger going through your hives at the bottom of the garden!!! That is what philisb was suggesting - it is totally unacceptable. And, in my opinion the OP ought to take a bit of honesty for such a ridiculous suggestion.

Get real,

Ben P

You might not like the sight of the car the neighbour has left un-used on their drive for the past ten years, but you can't touch that either! ;)

Talk to the Bee Inspector and see what they think.

:iagree:

You say you tried to remove the roof, but it was stuck. Now, imagine you tried again, and something broke (without you being asked or being given permission to be there). That would then leave you in a whole world of doo-doo, no matter how good your intentions were.

Leave it to the bee inspector and if they think it is being neglected let them take it away.

Really? Is that the case in the UK that a hive can be taken away?

Anyone capable of answering this?

Chris

Thanks you, interesting read. So from that I gather that if they are on your own land no one can interfere unless there is a notifiable disease in the area, then they could inspect?

Similarly, if treatment or destruction is required, notice must be served on the colony owner. The RBIs will follow the same general approach described in Q2 and Q3 above before taking matters into their own hands as they have no specific legal powers to assume ownership of a hive.

My BOLD

Chris

Thanks you, interesting read. So from that I gather that if they are on your own land no one can interfere unless there is a notifiable disease in the area, then they could inspect?

Inspect and/or destroy as I understand it. Doesn't say anything about them removing hives.

I agree with you Vince, if I thought my bees were at risk, I'd deal with it asp.

By "deal with it", I hope you mean ask the bee inspector about it and not do anything like phillisb was suggesting.

I wasnt born then

Sad really , maybe the next generation will be born without legs ?
To iterate another thread .
Local landlady in a tiss' because tills went down and none of her young bright staff could do simple arithmetic , leaving her to do all the reckoning up of order costs and change to be given!.
Sad really.

VM

If the hives belong to the neighbour and he lets someone keep their bees there.....then surely they have a telephone number at the very least in case of problems?

yes they do and i have already spoken to the neighbour and he is going to put me in touch although the beek is currently too busy with work but i am hoping to speak to him early this week.

[QUOTE flatters: You may feel you have first shout on it because you reported it, but there are probably ways the bee inspector has to deal with things.[/QUOTE]

i dont want to claim ownership, it isn,t TOTALLY abandoned.
all i want is to perhaps help the bee,s and clear up a potentiall problem to my own bee,s :)

Thanks for all the replies views and links it gives me a clearer idea of what to do, i will post as it develops. stuart.

Last edited:
Surely the bees belong to who's garden they are in?

Back