Fogging

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcy-cozD7VQ[/ame]

Has anybody used or got any experience of this method of Varroa control? I've googled it & read a bit about it, seems the Americans use it.Might be along the lines of Hiveclean in its workings.

Looks interesting anyway, so does the Fat Bee man!

Has anybody used or got any experience of this method of Varroa control?

North Devon beekeeping association has plenty of experiance of fgmo fogging,first with just fgmo, then with the addition of thymol,they used it quite extensively in the home apairy.

North Devon beekeeping association has plenty of experiance of fgmo fogging,first with just fgmo, then with the addition of thymol,they used it quite extensively in the home apairy.

Have you thought about using it?

For Food Grade Mineral Oil , read liquid paraffin :D
VM

Having seen it in action on a few occasions.........no.

It's a good looking machine and the volume of smoke is impressive to say the least.

if anyone has any details of the way the machine actually works - i didn't quite see/understad how the heat was maintained - then I'm very interested, from a gadget level only of course.

Sensing a very polarised opinion derived from your observations, please can you let us know what you considered to be the disadvantages or pitfalls? It did look impressive, but perhaps that was all 'smoke and mirrors' . . . ha ha..

I did pick up from the video that it was used every three weeks, presumably as part of a course of treatment as we do with thymol.

Not as a discussion item, but just a reporting of your observations.

Did NDBKA have a machine as impressive as the one in the video?

As already stated , they used it a lot in the US. It was popular I think because it was a cheap way of treating large numbers of hives very quickly.

Actual results, in terms of percentage efficiency, seems harder to establish.

Last edited:
if anyone has any details of the way the machine actually works - i didn't quite see/understad how the heat was maintained - then I'm very interested, from a gadget level only of course.

Greenhouse fogger,oil filled coils are heated and produce the gas/fog of oil.

Google... green house insecticide fogger/mister,lots of makes available.

Last edited:
When I was in Belize a local guy was employed to use a "swingfog" first thing in the morning and last thing at night. This spread a fog of insecticide all over the ground and the bushes to keep down mosquitos. From what I understood it used a type of engine simlar to that used on the V1, i.e. a pulse jet. The insecticide was sprayed into the engine's exhaust.

He never wore a mask so I suspect he may not be with us any more.

When I was in Belize a local guy was employed to use a "swingfog" first thing in the morning and last thing at night. This spread a fog of insecticide all over the ground and the bushes to keep down mosquitos. From what I understood it used a type of engine simlar to that used on the V1, i.e. a pulse jet. The insecticide was sprayed into the engine's exhaust.

He never wore a mask so I suspect he may not be with us any more.

and believe it or not they were / still use DDT !:eek:

Latest posts

Back