Swarm in chimney - immediate options

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. A family in my village have bees in their chimney (and, for reasons we all know, the local BKA won't deal with swarms in chimneys, and the local council's pest controllers won't deal with bees). They believe it is a swarm which took up residence on Monday, and - looking at the activity to try and estimate the size - I would say there is a chance it is a prime swarm.

Last night, I took a look, in the hope (ever the optimist) that the chimney pot would be safely accessible with a long ladder, and that the bees would be building comb off the cowl. Sadly, however, it's not going to be possible to get near to them without risk to life and limb - certainly without e.g. a cherry picker.

As such, I've had to leave it for now, but have left a poly nuc, with 2 old brood frames, and laced with lemongrass oil, in the close vicinity of the chimney. That said and done, I suspect the chances of the bees deciding to vacate the chimney in favour of the nuc at this stage are very slim.

I have suggested that a smoky fire might be enough to encourage the bees to leave, and that they might try this on Saturday, assuming the nuc has not lured them in by then. I have discussed this with another beekeeper, and judge that the limited amount of comb they will have built in the meantime is likely not to pose a serious risk of a chimney fire, or have blocked the flue. That said, I am coming around to the idea of them trying smoke pellets instead - especially having seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdDSq46O5Tw (!!!)

- Any thoughts on the chances of success 1) of the nuc, and 2) of the smoking-out ?
- Any other thoughts, alternative suggestions or similar experiences ?
- Any ideas as to whom they should turn if (/when) this fails ? I can only suggest a professional pest control outfit, and suspect they would exterminate the bees

Basically, heeeelp !, please !!

Sent from my Google Pixelbook using Tapatalk

Try ABM pest control of Mansfield (video on YouTube of him clearing a chimney)
I'd try beequick vapour up the chimney first

Try ABM pest control of Mansfield (video on YouTube of him clearing a chimney)
I'd try beequick vapour up the chimney first
John - thanks for the helpful comments - we have now put some smoke up the chimney, and as the whole effort is only a partial success (for me - not the homeowner - see update below) they have contacted ABM and are potentially planning to go down that route to sort the chinmey out - which will at least mean that they can get a professional job done and the chimney fully sorted with mesh etc... so cheers
:serenade: Maybe NOT

Tomorrow might see the black tape given out & everything down on the ground, crushing everything it meets on its way! :bump:
Oh ye of little faith Martin L ... I am actually pretty happy that the tape is not (and was never) really required; it was only there for some additional peace of mind (which is a good job, the way it has (not) stuck/held) :) The box itself is pretty stable, not slipping and is weighted.

UPDATE
- - - - - - - -
So, first and foremost, thanks to all for the advice and (in the main) encouragement. I have observed the bees today, and have also tried smoke up the chimney, as follows:

Observation: I have DEFINITELY got a (cast?) swarm in the box, so I moved the disc round to Queen Excluder setting, to prevent any absconding, and will take the box off the roof in the evening. However, there is also DEFINITELY a colony still in the chimney, whether (as I now suspect) another related cast or not - and as such we tried smoke, to drive them out

Smoking: Failed ... not because I do not think it would have worked, but because, of both the chimney pots, the one in which the bees have taken up residence has a sealed flue, not a working fireplace beneath. I did not appreciate, before going, that only one of the stacks was functional, and we only discovered which, by setting the smoke off on the hearth of the 'live' fireplace. What was a super-massive tease, was that the wind was actually carrying said smoke across to the other pot, and when it did in decent volumes, the bees were getting so agitated that they were evacuating, spreading across the sky, flying 'swarmily' (if there is such a word) and really looking like they were on the verge of departing fully. However, each time, the activity soon subsided, and the air cleared. Bummer .... so near yet so far, as I am certain that, having seen that, they would have fled if the smoke had gone up their stack ..... Aaargh.

At this stage, becasue 1) that chimney stack is sealed, and 2) I absolutely cannot get to work at the pot without access equipment (scaffolding or a cherry picker), I have decided to leave it to the professionals.

However all good fun, and when all is said and done:
a) I have learned plently by giving it a go
b) the homeowners and neighbours have also learned plently, and shown a real interest
c) I have still managed to acquire a swarm to take away (which will go into quarantine initially) ... so there will hopefully be a pot of honey or two for us out of all of this

Thanks again all.

Sent from my Google Pixelbook using Tapatalk

UPDATE
- - - - - - - -

Smoking: Failed …

only one of the stacks was functional, and we only discovered which, by setting the smoke off on the hearth of the 'live' fireplace.
the wind was actually carrying said smoke across to the other pot, and when it did in decent volumes, the bees were getting so agitated that they were evacuating,

, having seen that, they would have fled if the smoke had gone up their stack ..... Aaargh.

It looks to be Edwardian or earlier, so the flues will just be voids in the brickwork, (no liner).

With these chimneys it is very common for the mortar to have been eroded by the fumes, especially in areas where the nasties condense on a cold wall. This can burn through into the next flue only 4" and cause smoke to flow through both.
So, the smoke you saw was very probably emitting from both flues!

It would be well worth blocking the bee-free pot & giving smoking another try.:winner1st:

"I have learned plently by giving it a go"

Yep, tis how ii works.

Given Martin's observation on construction and
the height from roof proper to the "pot" the job
is open to a trapout/forced abscond approach
given the time from they've been in place.
IF the owners are open to knocking in a 25mm
hole just above roof level in the flue we can explore
"how to" if you are still open to more of the same.

Looking at the pitch and height to "pot" it is
likely there is where "pro" operators would go, or
exterminate and seal.

Bill

Hi all, just to add in here, I live at the house in question and have been fascinated to learn all that I have re bees in the last 6/7 days! Thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions. My husband, kids and I have all really enjoyed the adventure these little honey bees have taken us on this last week and we are very pleased to see that the efforts to move them have been at least partially successful. We are going to appoint ABM from Mansfield to remove the bees from the chimney, he’ll come out in the next 3-4 weeks and seal up the chimney to keep out any future bees looking for a new home. Without this forum though that would not have been an option and we would sadly have had to resort to more permanent extraction / extermination methods which we are very pleased has not been necessary. Thanks again!

(edit)
Without this forum though that would not have been an option and we would sadly have
had to resort to more permanent extraction / extermination methods which we are very
pleased has not been necessary. Thanks again!

Gidday D&B, I'd thank you best for your post in acknowledging that
shared interest, but more to applaud your action in dealing empathicly
with what is becoming a concern for homeowners globally.
Thankyou.

Bill

Hi all, just to add in here, I live at the house in question

We are going to appoint ABM from Mansfield to remove the bees from the chimney, he’ll come out in the next 3-4 weeks and seal up the chimney to keep out any future bees looking for a new home.

From a building point of view, Chimneys should not be "sealed up"!

It can lead to condensation and bleeding through to the internal walls!

Back