Early inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It seems like a lot of members are already opening up brood boxes for inspections. Is it too early? Round here daytime temperatures are only just starting to touch 14/15 deg, and I have been holding off anything more than a quick peek to feed etc. until next month. What is the risk of swarming this time of year?

Im also in Suffolk, I haven't opened mine yet and won't until we are into April. Lots of activity and pollen/nectar going in.

Have a quick read of 'At the Hive Entrance' by H. STORCH. Its about "How to know what happens inside the hive by observation on the outside". (Available as pdf download)

It's a good read, but alas will not tell you which hives are queenless or have drone layers. Nor those that might need more (or less) space. I have a bit of all three and have already added supers to ease congestion and will be dealing with a queenless hive and drone laying queen this afternoon.
As long as forecast is for steady temps during the afternoon and you have LOTS of bees all flying then you are fine. But don't go for the full 5 bells examination of every frame, keep what you need to do when you open a hive to a minimum.

I usually open, assess bee numbers (seams of bees). When possible take first frame from middle or where you see most bees crammed together... if normal brood or larvae are seen on frame, that's it .....inspection done.

I'm sure others will do it differently and different criteria for the timing of their own first inspections.

It seems like a lot of members are already opening up brood boxes for inspections. Is it too early? Round here daytime temperatures are only just starting to touch 14/15 deg, and I have been holding off anything more than a quick peek to feed etc. until next month. What is the risk of swarming this time of year?

Im also in Suffolk, I haven't opened mine yet and won't until we are into April. Lots of activity and pollen/nectar going in.

:iagree: - also Suffolk. BTW, where in Suffolk are you both? I'm twixt Bury and Stowmarket

I'm in the North East and the last two days have been really nice. Inspected yesterday and they were absolutely fine. One of the most pleasant inspections I have had.
I am glad I did as well as I found a few things that I could sort while I was at it.

I'll not be going in next week if it's too cold.

If bees are flying, then it's OK to have a look. Can simply use intelligence to decide how long the colony might be open for. Cool breeze and a small cluster - keep it short.

Well in North West, done all 10 hives this week most overwintered on double brood. Now on clean floors, new single brood boxes stores move and drawn comb put in as most Q’s have gone into overdrive. 4 now have QX on and supers of drawn comb OSR now in flower and strong colonies making the most of it. 5 frame Nuc already into full hive as it was bursting at the seams.

Well in North West, done all 10 hives this week most overwintered on double brood. Now on clean floors, new single brood boxes stores move and drawn comb put in as most Q’s have gone into overdrive. 4 now have QX on and supers of drawn comb OSR now in flower and strong colonies making the most of it. 5 frame Nuc already into full hive as it was bursting at the seams.

I had to hive a nuc today the earliest I've had to do it in 4 years . Again my two mongrels colony will need some attention soon stronger than last year.. I think I'll hold of on the Xmas fondant this year!

I hope your keeping well fellow beekeeper

Took the plunge today as I had to change a floor. Two hives going like a train, packed with bias. So I'll be looking at adding supers next week. No 3 not so strong but a reasonable amount of brood. Maybe a late starter. None of these on OSR so I haven't a clue what they're finding.

Took the plunge today as I had to change a floor. Two hives going like a train, packed with bias. So I'll be looking at adding supers next week. No 3 not so strong but a reasonable amount of brood. Maybe a late starter. None of these on OSR so I haven't a clue what they're finding.

Same for me no osr.
I was wondering what colour pollen has been going into your hives it might be an indication.

Started (though very brief) inspections yesterday. Most are looking very strong but a few we’re getting low on stores, so a share of a few frames should sort. Will leave these alone now for a few weeks .
S

Had a lovely warm week, bees flying and bringing in.. so grabbed the opportunity and went through all 17..
2 were small, needed transferring to a Nuc to give brood better chance of warmth as they build, with syrup feed..Maybe queen slow, but the small brood pattern was good, so ever hopeful..
All rest good, few with 4 frames wall to wall brood- even drone brood amongst the main. Replaced some manky frames with new, shook 2 onto all clean as were from a retired beekeeper who had been unwell... needed a total refresh. Left them with syrup and Neopoll.

BUT had 2 beekeeper friends who had lost 90% of their colonies to damp.. good cedar hives, but the wet had removed the propolis seal and allowed encroachment of rain.. very sad.

Had a lovely warm week, bees flying and bringing in.. so grabbed the opportunity and went through all 17..
2 were small, needed transferring to a Nuc to give brood better chance of warmth as they build, with syrup feed..Maybe queen slow, but the small brood pattern was good, so ever hopeful..
All rest good, few with 4 frames wall to wall brood- even drone brood amongst the main. Replaced some manky frames with new, shook 2 onto all clean as were from a retired beekeeper who had been unwell... needed a total refresh. Left them with syrup and Neopoll.

BUT had 2 beekeeper friends who had lost 90% of their colonies to damp.. good cedar hives, but the wet had removed the propolis seal and allowed encroachment of rain.. very sad.

I swapped the wood floor on an acquired hive for an omf. The wood floor had water on it. I wonder whether that is the cause of the great ventilation debate. Any water above an OMF just runs through.

Latest posts

Back