Too much ivy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a mix which is odd because the top supers are solid , also some of the frames that are runny honey have crystallised white honey
Well obviously some is Ivy and some not.
If you want Ivy honey you have to check your supers frequently. Me? I’d check them every day. Then you have to process it. You can’t just put it in a jar.
Only one thing you can do with it now or let the bees have it.

Depends what equipment you have, I know some that will chuck the whole combs into the api melter and extract that way. If your getting a decent price for the honey and wax more than worth it. If I was Curley I’d convince the boss api melters are organic…. Problem solved😂 Also it doesn’t have to be all ivy or even sold as ivy, just distinct enough to be different or command that premium. In my areas Heathland Honey has been used to describe a mix and secure a premium rather than making claims to nectar source.

Last edited:
My hives have a mild wet autumn climate in a hedged landscape in which Ivy is used and stored by the local honey bees - mainly in Sept and Oct. Flowering and nectar/pollen yield over the 10 years I have been beekeeping, has been regular and profuse.
I see the honey as a valuable resource for the bees and myself.

How I manage rapid crystallisation within hives involves:
- Summer honey harvested mid-Aug and following varroa treatment a wet super added.
- Ivy honey crop taken mid-Oct (supers stored for winter extraction by cutting out from foundation-less frames, followed by soft set honey prep)
- at an early Spring inspection any full brood frames are removed and replaced by drawn frames.

I treat varroa pre-solstice and make crown board fondant available.
Problem of too much honey? What problem?
Alan.

@Ian123 Ian it’s my honey from the home apiary I have 48 frames to melt down from two colony’s.
So it’s ok to sell then?
Sure as long as don’t heat it to buggery. I’m sure you can Google up the right temps or cool it fast enough as the commercial guys do.

Sure as long as don’t heat it to buggery. I’m sure you can Google up the right temps or cool it fast enough as the commercial guys do.
Started extracting it yesterday this is what it looks like in a jar it’s a dark amber colour.14F126B2-CC5B-46B1-B4D5-B1D9702D8B1A.jpegF58DCEA9-F6CD-41F1-B9B1-40F96B1B82D3.jpeg

Will it be white pretty soon?
Are you soft setting it?
It’s setting and going white already after 6 hrs of being liquid , probably sell some as is and soft set some thing with it got a bit of choice.
I had some spring honey two seasons ago that had eucalyptus in it much the same medicinal taste but ivy catches you in the throat got to be good for you 👍
image.jpg

It’s setting and going white already after 6 hrs of being liquid , probably sell some as is and soft set some thing with it got a bit of choice.
I had some spring honey two seasons ago that had eucalyptus in it much the same medicinal taste but ivy catches you in the throat got to be good for you 👍
View attachment 34319
I’d soft set the lot unless you give your customers a free chisel.
I quite like Ivy honey. It improves enough to sell it next year.

Must have taken ages pulling them out from each cell like tha
Must have taken ages pulling them out from each cell like that😉
You noticed then , they are like little fisherman friends or herbal sweets, the two year old was eating them like sweets, only done that with a frame or two .

Latest posts

Back