Winter nectar sources

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
Down my way (France) the weather is stupidly warm right now. Bees very active, recorded 24°C in the shade today & so I took a peak to check on stores. They're bringing nectar in from somewhere such that I know i'll be taking frames out in 4 weeks or so to give the queen space to lay.
But where could it be coming from?! Ivy? I'm not seeing anything obvious around me. Any ideas?

Could be - however I've just realised that Mimosa produces pollen & nectar & is coming into bloom in abundance here. It's the first sign of Spring to me ..... even if that's some way off!

1707034367307.png

Could be - however I've just realised that Mimosa produces pollen & nectar & is coming into bloom in abundance here. It's the first sign of Spring to me ..... even if that's some way off!

View attachment 38869
I was wondering about that as a suspect as it's usually very early to flower here, which is where it originates. We call it silver wattle. Usually you'll see pollen the colour of the flowers coming in but I don't consider it much of a nectar plant here. Do you have any eucalyptus trees there? Tasmanian blue gum (eucalyptus globulus) flowers from winter right through spring and into summer but only flowers well about every four years here and produces plentiful nectar.

what a wonderful sight.
Up here there is gorse in flower, it produces mainly pollen but does does give nectars well.
I do like gorse although there's none right by me. Beautiful flower / shrub.

I was wondering about that as a suspect as it's usually very early to flower here, which is where it originates. We call it silver wattle. Usually you'll see pollen the colour of the flowers coming in but I don't consider it much of a nectar plant here. Do you have any eucalyptus trees there? Tasmanian blue gum (eucalyptus globulus) flowers from winter right through spring and into summer but only flowers well about every four years here and produces plentiful nectar.
I'd forgotten Mimosa originally came from Australia! I find it a fabulous for lifting the spirits early in the year with it's over the top mass of yellow blooms. For some reason I've always thought of it as pretty much just pollen, however, my hives are saying otherwise. I do see eucalyptus, but not much and I'm not aware of any in the immediate vicinity. What else do you get your way in late winter?

Pi
I'd forgotten Mimosa originally came from Australia! I find it a fabulous for lifting the spirits early in the year with it's over the top mass of yellow blooms. For some reason I've always thought of it as pretty much just pollen, however, my hives are saying otherwise. I do see eucalyptus, but not much and I'm not aware of any in the immediate vicinity. What else do you get your way in late winter?
Pin cushion hakea is a winter flowering plant producing lots of nectar. It's from Western Australia. Absolutely gorgeous too. We get a climber called Happy Wanderer which has a beautiful violet flower the bees love and that flowers in winter. We also have lavender that flowers all year to some extent. The other very early ones are almond trees. Each tree as with many species, flower at somewhat different times and there is one in a garden near me that's insanely early to flower. Bees are just incredible at finding resources so it will be tricky to find what they are getting there but that's one of the enjoyable aspects of beekeeping.
The silver wattles here are spectacular as they flower up and down the valleys in winter. In the wetter forests the trees get straight and much larger producing an attractive timber. In some areas wattle grubs (huge white grubs-the larvae of the giant goat moth) infest the trees eating away the wood as they grow, and sulfur- crested cockatoos and yellow tailed black cockatoos use their powerful beaks to tear the trees apart to get at the grubs. The grubs are also one of the best baits to catch trout. The yellow flowers can be eaten and the sap is also edible apparently. Wattle seeds I'm yet to try but intend to! The feathery leaves of the tree are fantastic for gently brushing away bees from frames. The trees send suckers out- so they can colonise quickly.

Last edited:
Pi

Pin cushion hakea is a winter flowering plant producing lots of nectar. It's from Western Australia. Absolutely gorgeous too. We get a climber called Happy Wanderer which has a beautiful violet flower the bees love and that flowers in winter. We also have lavender that flowers all year to some extent. The other very early ones are almond trees. Each tree as with many species, flower at somewhat different times and there is one in a garden near me that's insanely early to flower. Bees are just incredible at finding resources so it will be tricky to find what they are getting there but that's one of the enjoyable aspects of beekeeping.
The silver wattles here are spectacular as they flower up and down the valleys in winter. In the wetter forests the trees get straight and much larger producing an attractive timber. In some areas wattle grubs (huge white grubs-the larvae of the giant goat moth) infest the trees eating away the wood as they grow, and sulfur- crested cockatoos and yellow tailed black cockatoos use their powerful beaks to tear the trees apart to get at the grubs. The grubs are also one of the best baits to catch trout. The yellow flowers can be eaten and the sap is also edible apparently. Wattle seeds I'm yet to try but intend to! The feathery leaves of the tree are fantastic for gently brushing away bees from frames. The trees send suckers out- so they can colonise quickly.
Pin cushion hakea sounds & looks amazing. I've found reference to it in Italy & Barcelona so will have to see if I can get hold of one. Mimosa here is extending it's reach up the valley day by day, & almond blossom started a few days ago in Perpignan - should be with me in a week'ish. Your environnent does sound amazing!

You Antipodeans love to be obtuse, it seems.
Like in cricket you score back to front - “4 for 103” , whereas here it’s “103 for 4”.🏏
A beautiful, bright green bush with the brightest yellow flowers imaginable, you call “Silver Wattle” 🤯😂

You Antipodeans love to be obtuse, it seems.
Like in cricket you score back to front - “4 for 103” , whereas here it’s “103 for 4”.🏏
A beautiful, bright green bush with the brightest yellow flowers imaginable, you call “Silver Wattle” 🤯😂
Yes, and the other main wattle here is a Black Wattle. Then the eucalypts....Blue Gums, White Gums, Red Gums, Yellow Gums, Black Gums and so on :LOL:

Latest posts

Back