does everyone pay for there online security?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh haaa iMac user here <gloat on> no extra security needed.

<gloat off> I'll probably get done now. :leaving:

yea i was using Kaspersky nad now it has ran out and not sure what to do?there looking 40 odd pounds off me,is there anything out there as good for free or will i have to fork out the cash to keep me disease free.
Darren.

As a longtime Linux user (Ubuntu and Mint) there is absolutely no need - perhaps Windoze users may find it of use, decent operating systems definitely don't need it......:cool:

From memory go for AVG free and Zone Alarm to keep windoze running

As a longtime Linux user (Ubuntu and Mint) there is absolutely no need - perhaps Windoze users may find it of use, decent operating systems definitely don't need it......:cool:

Mostly, as long as you keep them properly secured and patched and track updates to the software you have installed, they're fairly safe.

I've picked up the pieces of more hacked Linux boxes than I can remember. Mostly when people set them up and never bother to properly maintain them.

James

yea i was using Kaspersky nad now it has ran out and not sure what to do?there looking 40 odd pounds off me,is there anything out there as good for free or will i have to fork out the cash to keep me disease free.
Darren.

Avast has a free version, I think. Or did.

James

AVG virus protection for Windows, free of charge for basic version, v good. Paid version includes a better firewall than Windows and I would recommend it.

Linux (OpenSUSE) and a router with a properly set up firewall, all ports stealthed.

Avast here,but isn't there windoz defender?
The only reason mac users dont get attacks is no one can be bothered to write them from what i have read.My other half just got a mac,looks good apart from getting the printer to talk to it lol

AVG Free works fine.

You don't need "personal firewalls" unless you have been deliberately been setting up services. If you have no idea what "setting up services" means, you don't need a firewall. Any modern broadband router that does "network address translation" does more than the average "personal" firewall.

UNIX (whether it is Mac or Linux) boxes do get hacked on a regular basis. Windows boxes get hacked more often because 1) there are more of them and 2) because proper security is incompatible with desires of a user for flexibility.

AVG Free works fine.
:iagree:
You don't need "personal firewalls" unless you have been deliberately been setting up services. If you have no idea what "setting up services" means, you don't need a firewall. Any modern broadband router that does "network address translation" does more than the average "personal" firewall.
UNIX (whether it is Mac or Linux) boxes do get hacked on a regular basis. Windows boxes get hacked more often because 1) there are more of them and 2) because proper security is incompatible with desires of a user for flexibility.

And, as PeterS says, Microsoft Security Essentials is a pretty good alternative to AVG

Avira free basic version gets good reviews and been fine for us on variety of machines for last 4 years. Doesn't seem to clog things up too much either.

Wireless routers tend to consider the wireless network to be an extension of the cabled network behind the firewall. Wireless encryption ranges from 'none' through 'weak' to 'crackable with time'.

Laptop users roaming between wireless access points, e.g. hotels & coffee shops, should consider a personal firewall as mandatory, regardless of the platform they use.

Last edited:
Most hackers worth their salt are using Linux for the power and flexibility that it offers them, so it's not that they don't understand the OS.

From memory go for AVG free and Zone Alarm to keep windoze running

Linux/Mac house here as much as humanly possible. Mac security was free....never had a problem. Yet.

AVG on the children's desktop but they generally click on something dodgy on IM. Never email....my son has almost 1000 messages in his with his FB emails off.

Latest posts

Back