DIY Security camera electronics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty rubbish when the blink camera can theoretically last 2 years

The 2 years quoted is for very little use.
I find mine last for 2-3 months but it still works out at less than £1/ month
I still think the blink system works well if you have WiFi at the gate.

Being surrounded by generous honest people most of my life makes it that much more painful.
I had an interesting “purchase” today. Someone parked on my drive, walked up to my shelves took a jar of honey, left an envelope on the shelf, went back to their car and drove off.
Unfortunately the envelope only contained £2.85 for a £6.50 jar of honey.
This lady obviously didn’t realise the camera was there as she didn’t hide her face and even displayed her reg number by parking on the drive!
I’m deciding how to play this one. I think I may put a bit up on the local Facebook page.

Last edited:
Could you expand on that? It's been a few decades since I messed with electronics and that was at a very basic level.
Diodes still give a variable voltage drop, waste power and limit the lowest battery voltage.

Searching for an LDO regulator doesn't immediately throw up an ideal candidate. The MCP1700 would be great (uses micro amps) except it only has a maximum current of 250mA. That I think rules out WiFi if I ever want to go down that route. Even with WiFi off I'm not sure if I'd maybe temporarily exceed that. More research needed.

The LF33CV can handle 500mA, but uses 0.5mA. It would need 4 AA batteries to be connected, which actually suits some chargers better since some operate in pairs.

The MCP1825 is a 3V regulator and uses 0.2mA. Not sure if 3V would potentially inhibit the range of WiFi if I was to go down that route.

Any suggestions? A regulator also needs 2 capacitors so we're into designing circuits territory.

Using WiFi doesn't need to consume 250mA. The ESP32 typically needs 150mA max. Decent other regulators are here, and using the LM2596 here with 80uA standby and can be switched off.

Thanks I'll check out the links. I'm very reluctant to buy direct from China, although on eBay that is becoming increasingly difficult.

I had an interesting “purchase” today. Someone parked on my drive, walked up to my shelves took a jar of honey, left an envelope on the shelf, went back to their car and drove off.
Unfortunately the envelope only contained £2.85 for a £6.50 jar of honey.
This lady obviously didn’t realise the camera was there as she didn’t hide her face and even displayed her reg number by parking on the drive!
I’m deciding how to play this one. I think I may put a bit up on the local Facebook page.
Just had exactly the same. Got a wonderful picture of him nicking it. Put it on face book and the yesterday his mum brought him round to apologise and pay for it.
we had a long chat. Probably in one ear and out the other. The good side is that he and his mates enjoyed the honey so much they have persuaded their mums to buy some!!!

IMG_20240824_185315110.jpg

Great story 😊.
Unfortunately my offender has not posted the additional cash through the letterbox but the posting on Facebook has generated at least another 4 costumers who saw that decent honey was available in the area.
What is it they say about silver linings? 😁

Great story 😊.
Unfortunately my offender has not posted the additional cash through the letterbox but the posting on Facebook has generated at least another 4 costumers who saw that decent honey was available in the area.
What is it they say about silver linings? 😁
Oh well. Thats a result in a way.

Just had exactly the same. Got a wonderful picture of him nicking it. Put it on face book and the yesterday his mum brought him round to apologise and pay for it.
we had a long chat. Probably in one ear and out the other. The good side is that he and his mates enjoyed the honey so much they have persuaded their mums to buy some!!!

View attachment 41107
That is a brilliant picture!

Latest posts

Back