Cheap security camera anyone?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
If any of you use an honesty box system and would like a little security, Blink are offering their battery powered wireless outdoor camera for less tha £50 this weekend. They also throw in another indoor camera.
It's not prossional quality but I have been using it for the last 4 years or so and recently had a group of kids disappear with a jar of my honey. A quick note to the village FB page with time and description had parents marching their progeny up my drive to apologise and pay reparations, so it works. 😀
Don't believe what they say about battery life as I only get 4-5 months from a set of £4 lithium batteries but I figure £1/month is not expensive.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blink-Outd...g=maas&goal=0_27eb97efd0-0e8a6fd9ad-319330061

I bough some dummy cameras and tarted them up a bit to make them look a bit more authentic. Some people mix with real cameras to cut down on the price.

Are there any fees invloved for receiving live footage or storage of footage ?
How does the sytem work Bluetooth /Wifi ?

Are there any fees invloved for receiving live footage or storage of footage ?
How does the sytem work Bluetooth /Wifi ?
It requires wifi but the exterior one is completely wire free and just needs to be screwed to a wall or post etc.
I have one that looks down on my shelves and acquired another which sits in the dummy WBC hive that advertises my honey for sale.
No fees involved.

You need a hub to connect to a storage device and obviously be in range of your WiFi.
I've looked in to it for the house but am currently setting up this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wildlife-E...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1Just to monitor the deer and wild pigs around the hives.
Camera footage has to be high quality for police to take seriously so don't get smugly secure unless you've got top grade kit

You need a hub to connect to a storage device and obviously be in range of your WiFi.
I've looked in to it for the house but am currently setting up this one
I don't think there is a need for additional storage, my blink system stores about 500 clips before it's full and mine is heavily used. The oldest clip is dated 13/11/22 so that's more than enough storage for me.

Toolstation have a Tado camera for just under £40 ,Blackfriday deal ,it takes an sd card and wifi.

Toolstation have a Tado camera for just under £40 ,Blackfriday deal ,it takes an sd card and wifi.
Yes I saw that when I made one of my many visits to toolstation today!
The thing that swung me on the Blink camera was the fact that I didn’t have lay any power cables. Ideal if your honey shelf is at the gate.

I bough some dummy cameras and tarted them up a bit to make them look a bit more authentic. Some people mix with real cameras to cut down on the price.
Real cameras can be bought for little more than dummies but of fairly low definition. If you're serious about wanting to have CCTV coverage we installed a package system to provide coverage of the new memorial garden at our village war memorial hall that came with 4 face recognition quality cameras, cabling, power supplies, 4 channel recorder with hard disc drive. Unfortunately no monitor but we had a monitor donated by a villager from a defunct computer. Two of the cameras mounted under eaves about 12 feet high facing inwards at opposite ends of the garden space provide excellent detail of both the garden contents and each other in case someone thinks it would be a good idea to interfere with a camera. This kit left two spare cameras and cables for future expansion.
That's one of the problems once you start with CCTV installations, you discover you should have more coverage than you ever initially imagined. I've currently got 16 channels at home monitoring areas around the farm with 2 Terrabytes of disc space which gives about a week of decent definition record retention. I can dump interesting bits onto a memory stick for future use if needed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264978660632

The DIY'ers among you might find this useful. using old laptop cameras as CCTV cameras. You would need to make a waterproof case for it or include it in your honey jar display case but not insurmountable problems.

Oh, and don't forget, if you're filming people on your premises strictly speaking you need a "CCTV in operation" sign.

Easy way around a camera system as any scumbag will tell you, is to ignore it .

Hood over the baseball cap ( and even a COVID mask if you want) and you're indistingishable from any other benefits cheat and free to go to the next opportunity.
Police are either too busy dealing with violent scum or being taken to tribunals for doing so.
Yay!

The DIY'ers among you might find this useful. using old laptop cameras as CCTV cameras. You would need to make a waterproof case for it or include it in your honey jar display case but not insurmountable problems.

Oh, and don't forget, if you're filming people on your premises strictly speaking you need a "CCTV in operation" sign.

Sometimes the mere presence of such a sign can be a deterrent but it's surprising how downright thick some of the miscreants are. We've had several incidents caught on other cameras, copied and handed to the police who made visits to offenders homes/schools. One notable incident of pulling up plants resulted in five embarrassed schoolboys giving up their lunch break to plant replacement shrubbery and make a formal apology which included individual letters to the hall committee. We've also recovered costs of several replacement double glazed window panes after football practice against the wall. Why it's so attractive to use the wall when there's a full football pitch adjacent is a puzzle but it seems to go in phases.

Why it's so attractive to use the wall when there's a full football pitch adjacent is a puzzle but it seems to go in phases.

Teenage boys! Just like honey bees, there's a reason nature creates so many of them when so few are actually needed to get the job done.

James

Teenage boys! Just like honey bees, there's a reason nature creates so many of them when so few are actually needed to get the job done.

James
It was pre teenage girls who stole the jar from my shelf last weekend and I agree hiding their face under a hoody when they are nicking stuff makes it difficult.
The girls last weekend huddled around as they were looking at the honey but turned stay as the secreted it up their jumper.
Unfortunately for them they turned straight onto my other camera, tucked into a WBC that acts as an advert, that faces the house so could see exactly what they were up to. 😊

Latest posts

Back