Dedicated to Candle Making

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I suggested to the administrators that it would be great to have a section on this forum site dedicated to Candle Making but never got a response.

I have SO many questions, its a minefield out there with wick types and sizes and temperatures etc and mostly american sites.
I do a search here it's too confusing as some are just mentioned without the post being questions or answers specifically to do with making candles.

If any members here think it's a good idea please reply ;)

I think a "Beeswax" section would be useful, split down into 2 or 3 different sub-sections. One to cover turning old comb into finished wax, another to cover making products from beeswax.

Then again, some might argue making things from beeswax isn't beekeeping as it's not the act of "keeping bees".

I can't imagine it would hurt to add these sections.

Being in lock down, I am bored stupid ! So, I’ve ordered some wick no6 !
I intend making candles for Christmas sales
I have loads of wax , lots only requiring final filtering.
at least it should keep me out of mischief and out of the asylum!

Attachments

• CA231645-802A-43F4-8EAB-DA000B8A7323.jpeg
    CA231645-802A-43F4-8EAB-DA000B8A7323.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Being in lock down, I am bored stupid ! So, I’ve ordered some wick no6 !
I intend making candles for Christmas sales
I have loads of wax , lots only requiring final filtering.
at least it should keep me out of mischief and out of the asylum!
Here you are something to aspire to
Made by a friend and I’m sure she won’t mind me sharing them here.
See the project includes the new must have.....wax melts.
1DDE812B-03A5-4866-990D-57D6F25657ED.jpegAB886CA4-7C76-4F59-B98C-8D94A11D33E4.jpeg

Curtesy @marybains0

Last edited:
What are wax melts used for? Thanks.
You mix wax with a little coconut oil and lots of essential oil ( some people use pre-blended fragrance oils but I suspect a lot of them are synthetic) then pour into little moulds. You pop the melt into an oil burner and the melting wax gives off the fragrance. I make them for the kids for Christmas.

You mix wax with a little coconut oil and lots of essential oil ( some people use pre-blended fragrance oils but I suspect a lot of them are synthetic) then pour into little moulds. You pop the melt into an oil burner and the melting wax gives off the fragrance. I make them for the kids for Christmas.
Thanks Dani. My daughter would like them too, I think.

Good idea... but keep it to beeswax!
All the different wick manufacturers seem to work to different size codes... We have three bales of No 2... all different
One manufactures No 2 seems to be for 2 inch beeswax candles another's No2 is for 2 cm soy wax candle....
.... bigger minefield than thread and tap and drill sizes.. then you throw the American pipe tap sizes into the mix and you find they are almost cycle thread fine... but of course in a decimal/ odd fraction nomenclature!

1/8 NPT is a 27tpi taper thread which requires a 21/64 inch tapping drill... American letter size R which of course is 8.6106mm or 0.399 inch ( high pressure air line on an American/Chinese knock off electro~pneumatic honey bottling machine)

:)
Chons da

Good idea... but keep it to beeswax!
All the different wick manufacturers seem to work to different size codes... We have three bales of No 2... all different
One manufactures No 2 seems to be for 2 inch beeswax candles another's No2 is for 2 cm soy wax candle....
.... bigger minefield than thread and tap and drill sizes.. then you throw the American pipe tap sizes into the mix and you find they are almost cycle thread fine... but of course in a decimal/ odd fraction nomenclature!

1/8 NPT is a 27tpi taper thread which requires a 21/64 inch tapping drill... American letter size R which of course is 8.6106mm or 0.399 inch ( high pressure air line on an American/Chinese knock off electro~pneumatic honey bottling machine)

:)
Chons da
I’ve discovered this 😂
I’ve stuck with the sizing of the well known supplier from Wragby

I have been pleased with the website 4candles. If you are struggling to find the right wick for your beeswax candles you will find some very useful information on their website. They also sell wick sample packs so you can try out several different wicks before committing yourself to buying a large quantity of one.

My thanks to Dani for recommending this supplier on the forum a couple of years ago.

Dani
Is the coconut oil needed to lower the melting point of the wax ?

A4008ECF-AC5C-4172-BBE4-F606576AB63D.jpeg
Have been giving candles a go this year. Think I’m getting there. Does anyone have an opinion on how the wax looks. The wax has been coarse filtered and then gravity used to separate the wax from contaminants.

Looks fine to me. How does it burn?
The candles burn evenly and don’t spit. I’m trying not to let the wax get much above 70c during processing and the wax has a good aroma.

Latest posts

Back