Beeswax candle bestsellers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I'm just having my first foray into the world
of candle making and I'd like to make some to sell. Can I please ask forum members who already produce and sell beeswax candles what type of candles in their experience sell well, pillar candles, container candles, novelty shapes (which) etc? And scented/unscented (I know beeswax doesn't hold a fragrance as well as other waxes but do buyers expect a fragrance)? I would like to be able to focus my efforts on making candles that will appeal 😊

Tea lights are popular as are skeps. This time of year I do scented Christmas candles in a tin.
The ones you posted earlier are lovely. I use Christmassy scents from 4candles.

Reactions: Kaz
I sold mini Christmas trees last year. Just plain beeswax, unscented. They were very popular. Mould was from Abelo.

That sounds cool. Good luck on the new undertaking.

I'm just having my first foray into the world
of candle making and I'd like to make some to sell. Can I please ask forum members who already produce and sell beeswax candles what type of candles in their experience sell well, pillar candles, container candles, novelty shapes (which) etc? And scented/unscented (I know beeswax doesn't hold a fragrance as well as other waxes but do buyers expect a fragrance)? I would like to be able to focus my efforts on making candles that will appeal 😊
Like you, I’m trying Some different candles this year. If I sell any it will be tealights. I make hand dipped dinner candles for friends and family for Xmas gifts and as you know I’m making votives in glasses as well this year. I’ve also just bought a pine cone mould from Abelo, think their moulds are good.

We have made skeps which are popular and this year Christmas trees, moulds are quite expensive though. As we heat up the wax every time we reuse the moulds I expect the gas bill will be going up as well!!!! How much do you charge for candles. We sold ours 2 skeps for£5, not sure how much to sell thr Christmas trees for?

Another vote for the Abelo Christmas tree, and pine cone here as well. The pine cone is beautiful, but i've sold more of the Christmas trees so far!

Another vote for the Abelo Christmas tree, and pine cone here as well. The pine cone is beautiful, but i've sold more of the Christmas trees so far!
Thanks @TomH , I've had a look at the abelo site and there are a few Xmas tree moulds, is there one you recommend please? 😊

I cost the wax at £1 an ounce, add up the wick and container and label, if there is one then add 50%
Some years ago I worked out that the profit margin on rolled candles at market was 500%.

Bright pinks, deep red, purple, lime sell well. Thorne have the best colours.

Some years ago I worked out that the profit margin on rolled candles at market was 500%.

Bright pinks, deep red, purple, lime sell well. Thorne have the best colours.
At our local honey show this year there was a stand for children to make rolled candles using triangular sheets. *very* popular (and nicely balanced cone shaped candles. I haven't seen anywhere you can buy the sheets, has anyone seen them? They didn't appear to be cut down squares although that's always possible! 😁

I really loved making candles last year as I'd begged about 14kg of wax from various sources to "play" with. I did say "what the heck" and put a chunk of my honey takings towards buying quite a selection of the moulds, largely from Abelo. They gave great results so I must see if I can find a photo to post here. I made a few of the huge pine cone candles for friends (silicone spray release essential) but they are hard to sell and my take on all this is that there is a sweet spot with candle size and profit. The little skeps sold well as did a tiny owl mould (from fleabay). Minimal wax, good profit. I tried the hexagonal T's mould but it wasn't a great burner and the shape didn't seem so popular. Visiting a local garden centre last year (with posh honey selection) I saw a wicker basket with 10s of little skep candles chucked in, getting quite a battering. They were selling for seven quid but a great idea to accompany the honey! I'd say each was about 70g wax so that's quite a mark up although I've no idea how many they would sell. The thing that drew me to them was the intense honey smell from the wax. Fabulous! Would anyone have a genuine honey scent they could recommend please? I'm finding that most honey customers want a scented candle. Cheers from Belfast. I LOVE this forum!

Latest posts

Back