January 2021

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The days are getting longer, yet the world is dark at 5pm. At least we're on the uphill slope now towards longer days and Spring....although that will be a couple of months away as today I woke to another heavy hoare frost and then sleet when out and about.
Out and about in Tier 3 and Tier 4 that is delivering honey to essential retailers who are anticipating a busy January.
I have been sitting thinking about what the year may have in store. Having suffered two bouts of Covid in the past 12 months I know it's not something to be enjoyed, although the second time wasn't as bad as the first. I do hope that local food outlets will continue to be supported by those able and willing to do so. Certainly it seems there has been a move to localism, and while I tend to supply trade customers I have a returning number of local retail customers too who are now regulars.

To the bees and beekeeping - I am overwintering more nucs than ever before, and have fed more fondant thus far than in previous years. I felt that the bees have been more active this Autumn and early Winter and were burning through their stores. Some that I checked on in late November hadn't even begun to cluster and some were on 9-10 seams of bees too.

The winter is again focused on building kit - frames for nucs (I always run out) rendering old super frames before the wax moth get their little burrowing bodies into them and making something of the wax, and knocking together a large batch of replacement floors and roofs to rotate some that are definitely on their last legs.

Also on the list are another batch of large hive stands. I do find I accumulate the necessary parts to make stands during the year and then 'mislay' them and end up buying another batch of 5" nails or creocote only to 'find' the container of wood preserver or the box of nails while searching for something else....anyone else suffer this ?

In many ways I feel like I'm at a crossroads with the bees. Keep at the numbers I'm at (low hundreds) and manage them accordingly with a full time job as well, decrease numbers and better manage them and further focus on honey production, keep the same numbers, sell more nucs and home raised queens, or expand further...

I've always raised my own queens, but in the past few seasons have further developed this and hope to have a good surplus of queens to sell in 2021. I've been reading the interview with Pete Little in the book of the same name (Interviews with Beekeepers, a great read I hope there will be a Vol.2) and it seems AI has to be the way for me to go forward rather than buying in a top breeder queen (although that is also an option). What's putting me off the former is the kit and training - how to during a lockdown, and the latter - well a beefarmer pal had to chase his order of a top breeder queen from Europe last year having paid a decent amount of money for it....I'll need to follow up on this and find out whether it actually arrived.

Well. Happy reading and happy kit building one and all.

Here's to 2021

Me and the are I think on the same page:).

I don't think you are .... your numbers don't add up Mark ... some wise person once said ' If you want to make a small fortune from keeping bees, start with a large one'.

I think what people are trying to say kindly to you is that scaling up any business brings costs that you don't have when you are running it as a hobby or as a one man band. The costs, until you reach a size where you can subsist in any circumstances that come along, are not a straight line - they are a curve, the sales growth may be a straight line but the costs don't directly follow the sales. It's about the first thing they teach you in Economics and Business Management.. Businesses don't usually fail because they run out of sales .. they fail because they run out of cash to service the sales ... it's called cash flow.

It is far more evident in beekeeping because there are so many factors over which you have no control - any one thing can bring your 'product' - be it honey or bees - crashing to nothing and in those circumstances you have no quick recovery ... it's another 12 months before your harvest comes along. You of all people, as someone from a farming background, should understand this. The jump from being a big hobby beekeeper (with an additional source of income) to a full time bee farmer is a quantum leap and most of the successful bee farmers in the UK will tell you it took years and in come cases generations to reach a stage where a reliable and appropriate income is possible. You only have to read ITLD's comments regarding the impact of Brexit to realise that there's more to bee farming than getting more colonies.

You really should be very cautious with your expansion - nobody doubts your enthusiasm but if I were you I would be writing a realistic business plan and then get someone with some financial savvy to run their eyes and calculator across your projections.

I don't think you are .... your numbers don't add up Mark ... some wise person once said ' If you want to make a small fortune from keeping bees, start with a large one'.

I think what people are trying to say kindly to you is that scaling up any business brings costs that you don't have when you are running it as a hobby or as a one man band. The costs, until you reach a size where you can subsist in any circumstances that come along, are not a straight line - they are a curve, the sales growth may be a straight line but the costs don't directly follow the sales. It's about the first thing they teach you in Economics and Business Management.. Businesses don't usually fail because they run out of sales .. they fail because they run out of cash to service the sales ... it's called cash flow.

It is far more evident in beekeeping because there are so many factors over which you have no control - any one thing can bring your 'product' - be it honey or bees - crashing to nothing and in those circumstances you have no quick recovery ... it's another 12 months before your harvest comes along. You of all people, as someone from a farming background, should understand this. The jump from being a big hobby beekeeper (with an additional source of income) to a full time bee farmer is a quantum leap and most of the successful bee farmers in the UK will tell you it took years and in come cases generations to reach a stage where a reliable and appropriate income is possible. You only have to read ITLD's comments regarding the impact of Brexit to realise that there's more to bee farming than getting more colonies.

You really should be very cautious with your expansion - nobody doubts your enthusiasm but if I were you I would be writing a realistic business plan and then get someone with some financial savvy to run their eyes and calculator across your projections.
The figures above Philip were just honey sales nothing to do with complete expenses.. We are doing a business plan and I have an advisor who will look at them.

Thanks Philip for you grounded opinion and advice.

The figures above Philip were just honey sales nothing to do with complete expenses.. We are doing a business plan and I have an advisor who will look at them.

Thanks Philip for you grounded opinion and advice.
Sir Edmund Hillary was a beekeeper. He would never have climbed that mountain if he didn't try or didn't have a go at it because others before him had failed. Keep up the great work Curly and stay positive.
https://badbeekeepingblog.com/2017/07/20/the-beekeeper-everyone-knows/

Sir Edmund Hillary was a beekeeper. He would never have climbed that mountain if he didn't try or didn't have a go at it because others before him had failed. Keep up the great work Curly and stay positive.
Hmmm ... he was not a relative beginner though ....

" He also had many other accomplishments as an explorer including crossing Antarctica, the Alps and the Himalayan peaks. Hillary joined an 11-man team to climb Mount Everest led by Colonel John Hunt and sponsored by the Alpine Club of Great Britain and the Royal Geographic Society. "

He had a plan and he knew what was involved .... the power of positive thought can take you some of the way but a knowledge of what the pitfalls are is pretty essential if you are going to succeed ...

" He also had many other accomplishments as an explorer including crossing Antarctica, the Alps and the Himalayan peaks. Hillary joined an 11-man team to climb Mount Everest led by Colonel John Hunt and sponsored by the Alpine Club of Great Britain and the Royal Geographic Society. "

He had a plan and he knew what was involved .... the power of positive thought can take you some of the way but a knowledge of what the pitfalls are is pretty essential if you are going to succeed ...
Are you a Bee Farmer?

Are you a Bee Farmer?
No ... but I know a few who are .... more importantly, I spent most of my working life running various companies in various sectors and some of my time as a Business Consultant trying to help companies who, for a variety of reasons, were facing difficulties. The problems associated with a start up bee farming business are almost identical to virtually any other start up SME ... except that the raw materials cannot be guaranteed and the variable costs are so variable that linear growth is very difficult to predict accurately. Hence why most bee farmers started out and grew organically ... I know of very few, if any, UK beefarmers who set out to be beefarmers overnight ...

I'll watch the video tonight thanks.
Never heard of Edmund hillary.. I get where your coming from as well;):).

I've only ever been building things slowly because of the reasons of variability.. This bee farmers game isn't for the faint hearted.. but the rewards are worth more than any amount of financial gain.

A bit like farming sheep and animals in general, when I was a teen if not younger I found that I had a passion for that.. Later years landscaping.. Now beekeeping.. I'm very luck to have found such satisfaction three times over..

Some folk spend all there years in a career /job there not happy with..

So on that note!! Any budding bee farmers out there need to take some advice from those that have been for a while...
Ive been taking advice from a few more so this last season.

Having suffered two bouts of Covid in the past 12 months
Do you mean you yourself have had the bug twice (confirmed by tests)? I'm asking because just at the same moment I saw this a friend wrote to say his son & d-i-l have it for the second time - but their first dose was untested so they cannot be 100% sure. If this is becoming commonplace, it's another worry. Sorry it has hit you so badly

Do you mean you yourself have had the bug twice (confirmed by tests)? I'm asking because just at the same moment I saw this a friend wrote to say his son & d-i-l have it for the second time - but their first dose was untested so they cannot be 100% sure. If this is becoming commonplace, it's another worry. Sorry it has hit you so badly
So the first time they hadn’t rolled out testing locally - but I was very ill. I then had antibody tests the month after and it was found I had masses of antibodies

then tested positive on 21 Dec

and had to have another bl***dy test today as a member of staff didn’t tell us they should have been isolating and had a positive test through today🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ IDIOTS

So the first time they hadn’t rolled out testing locally - but I was very ill. I then had antibody tests the month after and it was found I had masses of antibodies

and had to have another bl***dy test today as a member of staff didn’t tell us they should have been isolating and had a positive test through today🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ IDIOTS
Oh my ... what a bellyful ... mind you - might be pretty irrelevant by this time tomorrow ...

Wishing you well. This is all quite alarming really.

Oh my ... what a bellyful ... mind you - might be pretty irrelevant by this time tomorrow ...
Maybe - but as an essential service and dispensation from the gov to remain open I have to wait until all tested staff are returned negative then reopen.
I was feeling upbeat and positive at 9.10am today. All that changed at 11.30am

Maybe - but as an essential service and dispensation from the gov to remain open I have to wait until all tested staff are returned negative then reopen.
I was feeling upbeat and positive at 9.10am today. All that changed at 11.30am
Not good is it... Good luck let's hope they all get neg results ...

Sounds like a disciplinary coming on when they return?
Hope all goes well, Somerford.

I was wondering as I'm probably some years behind all of you in beekeeping years /experience and colony numbers.. With low hundreds of colonys are you not able to support your self with just being a bf??
Because my thoughts are way going out the window...
Bee /queen rearing, selling nucs has to be more profitable if concentration is more so on purer stock ,( but honey production in the longer term once your very established and have numbers of production colonys plus maybe an organic/pesticide free ticket on your honey, could also be very profitable..
More than enough to support one's self.

Somerford you are a work aholic.. If I was you I would concentrate on your girls, but then my" bee fever "has me completely in love, and I would rather work with them than do anything else.

Happy New year, what ever you decide I always like to read your blogs, and how you are getting on, take care my friend.

Mark.
Ha . I might be a workaholic but I enjoy work and if I'd been lucky enough to have a farmer as a father then I'd be working just as hard running a farm instead I work in retail and have a growing bee farming business on the side. He also wanted to be a farmer but he didn't come from a landed family and became a teacher - a Great Teacher -(woodwork/metalwork/mechanics in the early days, CDT and electronics/pneumatics toward the end) then retrained and got his electricians ticket, retired and set up a new business doing electrics...he only retired last year aged 76 due to cataracts that needed doing but weren't due to Covid (his final op is coming up later this month and today he gets his C-19 Jab....) He says he will go back out to work in 3 months....!

And you wonder where I get my drive from ?!

The benefits of this being money I have earned from the main job has helped establish the bee farming business (allowing it to grow). The next big step will be to both make the hives easier to bulk-handle (I'm thinking double migratory pallet-type floors like langstroths use) and a proper undercover storage site and upgraded honey extraction facility.
I bottle and retail all the honey I produce - pesticide free may be an option but organic isn't in the UK sadly (although you could get away with 'honey produced by bees kept on an organic farm' as all that does is confirm their location.

And I'm not afraid to ask questions. That's the key. Mind you sometimes you don't know what you don't know. The Rumsfeld conundrum...

KR and keep well

S

Latest posts

Back