Beeswax furniture polish price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before selling your polish I would advise you to look up the rules and regulations regarding the sale of products :rules:

http://www.bee-craft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Value-added-beeswax.pdf
No.
Furniture polish is NOT subject to those cosmetics regulations!

Looking at an Ama*n web site from someone selling beeswax polish, he puts the following warning on the jar

Product Safety
This product is subject to specific safety warnings
Harmful by inhalation
Highly flammable
Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking
Keep container tightly closed
Keep container in a well-ventilated place
Keep out of the reach of children

You can buy a standard preprinted "Beeswax Polish - contains Turpentine" hazard warning label from Thornes (and doubtless elsewhere too). Most folk put it on the underside of the tin. http://www.thorne.co.uk/labels/other-labels?product_id=2480

No.
Furniture polish is NOT subject to those cosmetics regulations!

Unless you are going to buff your face up to a fine gloss.

Of course the new labelling regulations coming in next year will be a great cash cow for those prepared to capitalise on the fact, when we did the Neath food fair this year there was one group going around canvassing for us to go on a 'labelling course' in preparation.
I think it's about time people wised up - if ordinary individuals grew up instead of wringing their hands about dotting every T and crossing each I maybe a common sense approach would be taken at all levels. I have some jars of honey gifted to me at home - bought in a public market outside Marseilles - Apart from the word 'Miel' I think nearly every regulation had been broken on the label. About time this little island (or its inhabitants anyway) grew up methinks

Unless you are going to buff your face up to a fine gloss.

Of course the new labelling regulations coming in next year will be a great cash cow for those prepared to capitalise on the fact, when we did the Neath food fair this year there was one group going around canvassing for us to go on a 'labelling course' in preparation.
I think it's about time people wised up - if ordinary individuals grew up instead of wringing their hands about dotting every T and crossing each I maybe a common sense approach would be taken at all levels. I have some jars of honey gifted to me at home - bought in a public market outside Marseilles - Apart from the word 'Miel' I think nearly every regulation had been broken on the label. About time this little island (or its inhabitants anyway) grew up methinks

:iagree:
But, just to be devils advocate, health and safety at work and labelling regulations et all are designed to safeguard people. If your Marseille honey happened to kill you or harm you, the fact that the labels pants invalidates any product liability insurance and makes any chance of redress unlikely. The reason all my labels are ticketty boo and insurances are in place are to protect myself should the worst happen, and the reality is it's just as easy to do things correctly as not.

Edit: this doesn't stop me being annoyed at having to put an unnecessary hazard label on the back of my polish though, such is life!

Last edited:
: this doesn't stop me being annoyed at having to put an unnecessary hazard label on the back of my polish though, such is life!
or four as the case will be from next year. But then, I suppose it could be worse - sat through an explosives packaging/labelling lecture last year - now that is a real minefield

or four {hazard labels} as the case will be from next year. …

Eh?

There are Food Labelling changes called for under Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011 which could start coming into play from 13th December this year … but is there something else relevant to polish that has come out from under a stone?

"The familiar polish
warning label with the black
cross on a red background is
being phased out by June 2015.
The new Classifi cation, Labelling
and Packaging (CLP) Regulations
are bringing in new pictograms
and hazard statements that
must appear on the label.The new labels will need four
pictograms, the word ‘Danger’
and nine hazard warning
statements.
H226 Flammable liquid and
vapour.
H302 Harmful if swallowed.
H304 May be fatal if swallowed
and enters airways.
H312 Harmful in contact with
skin.
H315 Causes skin irritation.
H317 May cause an allergic skin
reaction.
H319 Causes serious eye
irritation.
H332 Harmful if inhaled.
H411 Toxic to aquatic life with
long lasting effects"

Oh, and I forgot - MAY CONTAIN NUTS"

"The familiar polish
must appear on the label ...

Er, thank you, I think.
What with all that and SHB, there's so much to look forward to!

"The familiar polish
must appear on the label.The new labels will need four
pictograms, the word ‘Danger’
and nine hazard warning
statements.
H226 Flammable liquid and
vapour.
H302 Harmful if swallowed.
H304 May be fatal if swallowed
and enters airways.
H312 Harmful in contact with
skin.
H315 Causes skin irritation.
H317 May cause an allergic skin
reaction.
H319 Causes serious eye
irritation.
H332 Harmful if inhaled.
H411 Toxic to aquatic life with
long lasting effects"

I can't keep up with all these rules and reg changes which will probably be altered by the time I finish this post! Where did you find the info in your post, and how do you know what pictograms to put on it in the first place? :banghead:

Back