Beeswax furniture polish price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I have just made my first batch of beeswax furniture polish with a view to sell some at a local craft market.
They are in flat 100 ml aluminium, screw top tins and have cost me about £1.60 per tin for the ingredients (linseed oil, pure turps, tins, small amount of carnauba wax, but excluding my beeswax).
My question is what do you think I should sell them for? How much do others sell their polish for?
Thanks.

I buy mine from the £1 shop, I really can't be bothered making it any more

Hi all,
I have just made my first batch of beeswax furniture polish with a view to sell some at a local craft market.
They are in flat 100 ml aluminium, screw top tins and have cost me about £1.60 per tin for the ingredients (linseed oil, pure turps, tins, small amount of carnauba wax, but excluding my beeswax).
My question is what do you think I should sell them for? How much do others sell their polish for?
Thanks.

From what you have said above, is there any actual beeswax in the product? If not how can you call it beeswax polish or have i read it wrong?

From what you have said above, is there any actual beeswax in the product? If not how can you call it beeswax polish or have i read it wrong?

Hi all,
ingredients (linseed oil, pure turps, tins, small amount of carnauba wax, but excluding my beeswax).

Thanks.

I do sell the odd tin but ask yourself, "How much beeswax polish do I use?"
Not much call for it these days.

I think it does.
OP has given us the cost of making it, excluding his own beeswax. From that you can assume that there is beeswax in it, just not costed.
Anyway.....back to the rugby.

Tim the OP said it costs them £1.60 not including a price for the beeswax.
They didnt say there wasnt ANY beeswax in it.

Tim the OP said it costs them £1.60 not including a price for the beeswax.
They didnt say there wasnt ANY beeswax in it.

Ok my mistake i mis interpreted how he worded it.

I would have a look at the price of Beeswax Polish in the nearest good department store then look for Beeswax Polish online and go from there to decide on price. Good furniture needs good Beeswax Polish.

Sell it for what people will pay for it! Look on the supermarket shelves for guidance and add a bit extra. Don't go below £2.60.

Find the right retailer to sell for you and you should get a premium. Suggest an antiques shop or auction house as a good starting place, if someone is buying something of value they will want to treat it with love. Any you should then get a premium for the polish. Or sell to restorers, again sell the same way as honey make sure you say its much better than mass produced product.

I won't be selling mine for anything. It is a disaster. I was so excited about making it. I did 3 parts turpentine& beeswax to 1 part carnauba wax.

At first I didn't have enough turpentine as ran out. The wax was hard so I warmed, decanted back into double saucepan and re-melted and added more turpentine and back into the tins. Result?: rock hard and can't get it onto the cloth to use. It looks beautiful but is unusable.

I won't be selling mine for anything. It is a disaster. I was so excited about making it. I did 3 parts turpentine& beeswax to 1 part carnauba wax.

At first I didn't have enough turpentine as ran out. The wax was hard so I warmed, decanted back into double saucepan and re-melted and added more turpentine and back into the tins. Result?: rock hard and can't get it onto the cloth to use. It looks beautiful but is unusable.

Don't know where your recipe came from but that's far too much carnauba ...you only need a very small amount of carnauba to give your polish the hard shine/buffable properties imparted by carnauba ...

Don't know where your recipe came from but that's far too much carnauba ...you only need a very small amount of carnauba /QUOTE]

or use none at all. The recipe I inherited is the same number ozzes of wax to flozzes of pure turps.

Think more of the total wax being about 10% carnauba, not 25%.
Then for every 10g of total wax, you want about 20g of turps …

So since you can't take out the carnauba, to rectify you are going to need to at least double the amount of beeswax in your brew, and likely (you don't say what quantity you used) add a lot more turps.
As you have discovered, you can remelt, remix and try again. Just be sure to only heat VERY gently (and with turps, not over a flame!)

The scientific approach would be to take a small (weighed) sample and add measured quantities of extra beeswax and turps. And having see how that proportion works, try another adjustment. Once you have established what proportions you like, scale up the process.

Hi all,
Thanks.

Before selling your polish I would advise you to look up the rules and regulations regarding the sale of products :rules:

http://www.bee-craft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Value-added-beeswax.pdf

Looking at an Ama*n web site from someone selling beeswax polish, he puts the following warning on the jar

Product Safety
This product is subject to specific safety warnings
Harmful by inhalation
Highly flammable
Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking
Keep container tightly closed
Keep container in a well-ventilated place
Keep out of the reach of children

Take a look at North Staffs Dec 2010 newsletter which has an interesting article on making beeswax
http://www.-------------/local/northstaffordshire/bm~doc/december-2010-newsletter.pdf

or search northstaffsbees.org.uk december 2010

idg - please let us know how you get on. Good Luck
If someone does know of the uk legalities on this, can you let us know?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back