Bees and helicopters!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
Yesterday evening I went for a chat with a potential client that wants to have a couple of hives on his property - 350 acres - as a vanity project (he likes honey)!
After discussions we had a walk around the vicinity and found an ideal spot overlooking the South Downs for two hives adjacent to an access track so nice and easy to maintain.
As we started to wander back to the house he asked would the bees be worried by a helicopter landing about 150yrds from them as he very occasionally bought his machine home! He's only done it a couple of times in the last two years.
What is the general thought on this. Are the occupants of the chopper going to get greeted by a load of buzzers or will they ignore it?

I see quite a few choppers😉…..I really don’t think they would be that bothered but id want them a little further away..they can also sit turning over for some time awaiting take off/clearance.!!!!….choppers not bees

A number of years ago we were carrying out a hive inspection and the bees were very calm on the frames. Suddenly the tone of the buzzing changed, and the bees started running around the frames frantically and started coming out of the hive and attacking us. We could not work out what had upset them. Then we heard it. In the distance there was a chinook helicopter, which we had not been aware of, and as the helicopter flew overhead the bees got more and more frantic. Once it had disappeared off into the distance they settled down again. I can only imagine that they felt the vibration or pressure changes caused by the rotor blades and it really upset them, so from personal experience I would be careful about having hives so close to where a helicopter will be landing.

I have a meeting with the guy's PA tomorrow morning to sort out the particulars now he's signed the contract. We both think it prudent to move them further down the service road.

We have quite a few apiaries under the flight paths from the RAF training school, and two apiaries adjacent to the runways.
Never had any issues, but as flying is 24/7 maybe the Colonies are acclimatised to the noise etc.
Bit off topic, it was amazing watching the acrobatics of a euro fighter ĺast year while inspecting colonies, we also regularly get a spitfire or hurricane flypast.

We have quite a few apiaries under the flight paths from the RAF training school, and two apiaries adjacent to the runways.
Never had any issues, but as flying is 24/7 maybe the Colonies are acclimatised to the noise etc.
Bit off topic, it was amazing watching the acrobatics of a euro fighter ĺast year while inspecting colonies, we also regularly get a spitfire or hurricane flypast.
i was chatting to a SBI who used to check hives at the sentinel apiary at Gatport Airwick, they confirmed that the bees hardly reacted to the flights.
I’ve had quite a bit of feedback suggesting that the colonies won’t go apeshit when the helicopter is around so I’m going to pick the best location for them and ease of access for me.
Thanks everyone!

The kiwis fly pallets of bees into areas of inaccessible manuka bush by helicopter.

A number of years ago we were carrying out a hive inspection and the bees were very calm on the frames. Suddenly the tone of the buzzing changed, and the bees started running around the frames frantically and started coming out of the hive and attacking us. We could not work out what had upset them. Then we heard it. In the distance there was a chinook helicopter, which we had not been aware of, and as the helicopter flew overhead the bees got more and more frantic. Once it had disappeared off into the distance they settled down again. I can only imagine that they felt the vibration or pressure changes caused by the rotor blades and it really upset them, so from personal experience I would be careful about having hives so close to where a helicopter will be landing.

In our neck of the woods we do get a certain bunch blatting around in military copters-but the Chinook is a pretty unique prescence.

A helicopter frequently lands across the fields about 500 meters away. The bees appear to ignore it.

But when I flew an electric helicopter - about 15cms diameter rotor - in our garden ,a cloud of drones followed it. Does that count? :cool:

Latest posts

Back