Bee Insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
I have been a member of our local association for a number of years, my main reason for joining is the 'Bee Disease Insurance'. Are there any alternative insurance schemes that members use?

I have been a member of our local association for a number of years, my main reason for joining is the 'Bee Disease Insurance'. Are there any alternative insurance schemes that members use?

In my initial research I did look into it and it seems like BDI really do have the lions share of the market. I would also like to know if there are any other reputable companies/schemes

Is there something wrong with your associations?

Not mine, I just looked into it during my many years of research before I got started. I did wonder why there weren't more companies selling it. But then I guess it would be a monthly fee which would be substantially more expensive.

Nothing wrong with the association, the meetings are on a Tuesday and I have other commitments on a Tuesday. It is a nightmare to contact them mind! But I think a lot of associations are the same. It just i have not had a reminder, I would have thought they would have attached the renewal on the last newsletter.

Think the NFU do it but you will be hard pushed to beat BDI.

:hairpull:
NFU Mutual have a tailor made small holders policy that covers your food producing stock ( ie Honey Bees) against all risks including loss due to diseases and theft of bees and hives from other peoples land... not at all cheap.
For beekeepers of a more commercial outlook and more than 40 colonies the Beefarmers Association offer cover with membership... but once again considerably more than the £26 BBKA /BDI charge for minimal insurance for 2 colonies.

Check what cover you get... for selling and full public and products liability I would strongly suggest that you invest in a full Market Traders policy.
There is another tread on the subject of insurance and it seems that some farmers markets will accept the very low level liability offered with the BBKA.

I get a lot more from my association than insurance!

Myttin da

Read this month's bbka mag there's a small piece saying a private company is going to start offering full insurance there's an email to contact to express interest in the scheme

I agree being a member of an association isnt all about insurance cover.It a good source of help and information plus the tea and cake at the apiary meetings go down well.

Yes, they only offer £10,000,000 quids worth of cover. Damn cheapskates!

That would be for the Barristers fees for a defense against negligence.... all in the smallprint.

NOT what was asked by the OP.....
the question of the acceptance and value of the minimal liability cover offered with the £26 membership fee for the BBKA insurance has bee "debated " in another thread.

Forger misleading insurance... but the BBKA magazine must be worth £26 for 12 issues.. even if sometimes the images are as misleading as their insurance cover!!

Myttin da

That would be for the Barristers fees for a defense against negligence.... all in the smallprint.

Be helpful if you could produce evidence of, or give reference to, the £10,000,000 being only for barristers fees for a defence about negligence in this small print.
Otherwise people might think you are simply making it all up off the top of your head.

The OP's question was more related to bee disease insurance. My advice on that would be to look closely at the small print here in regard to the compensation offered and make up your own mind if you think it is worth having or not. If you do, make sure you insure a sufficient number of hives to include all those extra ones come swarm manipulation time.
And worth noting that hive bodies are not covered unless you get small hive beetle.

http://www.beediseasesinsurance.co.uk/products
Will give you current compensation rates and some of the more frequently asked questions about this insurance can be found here.
https://www.-------------/files/library/insurance_faqs_january_2017_1486407974.pdf

Hope this is of some use.

Last edited:

As I understand it, the BBKA insurance doesn't cover out-apiaries, so not worth having for us.
Due to my main work, I cannot get to meetings but even so have tried to keep my up membership of my local group. Problem is they are poor at sending yearly reminders for membership and it really annoys me that I should have to prompt them to give over my subs!

.......maybe they don't need it or want my membership?
S

FFS draw a line under it and do us all a favour.

Excuse me for trying to be helpful!
I was trying to provide the original poster with some factual information related to BBKA bee disease insurance and trying to correct what I believe to be misinformation about the normal BBKA insurance (which doesn't cover you for disease after 2 colonies).
I'd hope you would agree that misinformation needs correcting, in case anyone acts upon it.

As I understand it, the BBKA insurance doesn't cover out-apiaries, so not worth having for us.

The BBKA public liability insurance FAQ says that you are insured:

…against any financial loss caused by a successful claim against them by a third party for injury or any other loss deemed to have been caused by the Member, or their bees, while undertaking beekeeping activities or through the normal use of their hive products.

It doesn't mention out apiaries explicitly, but it might be a good thing to query with the BBKA and get added to the FAQ.

Due to my main work, I cannot get to meetings but even so have tried to keep my up membership of my local group. Problem is they are poor at sending yearly reminders for membership and it really annoys me that I should have to prompt them to give over my subs!

.......maybe they don't need it or want my membership?
Ugh, seems pretty rubbish. Is there an alternative (and better organised!) association not too far away that you could join instead?

The BBKA public liability insurance FAQ says that you are insured:

…against any financial loss caused by a successful claim against them by a third party for injury or any other loss deemed to have been caused by the Member, or their bees, while undertaking beekeeping activities or through the normal use of their hive products.

It doesn't mention out apiaries explicitly, but it might be a good thing to query with the BBKA and get added to the FAQ.

Ugh, seems pretty rubbish. Is there an alternative (and better organised!) association not too far away that you could join instead?

I was taking this from http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38800&highlight=insurance&page=6

If it wasn't such a hassle I would continue to be a member but am not bothering with local groups in the future as we about to join Beefarmers. They seem to offer a really good deal and from contact we have had are certainly much more professional.
S

I have been following this thread as it has developed. Thinking my association membership covered me for 3 hives I contacted the Chairman to inquire about who I should speak to to arrange the extra cover.
He returned my e-mail informing me that my local association had not taken up the benefit of the BDI scheme and we only have third party insurance through our BBKA membership.
I have trawled through the BBKA website and the pages of BDI and it seems I will have to join the BBKA as an individual member to obtain the BDI insurance on my hives.
Can anyone advise of an alternative means?
BDI rates seem reasonable but I do not want to pay an association membership which includes BBKA membership and then have to pay again to be a private BBKA member

Ah, that (the comment about out-apiaries not being covered because they are not in the care, custody or control of the beekeeper) is for the "all risks" policy, not the public liability policy. The all risks policy is not included by default with BBKA membership (the public liability is included, however), but something that must be purchased separately (at a rate that the BBKA have negotiated with the insurer). Definitely worth a clarification from the BBKA.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back