House insurance.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insurers are also concerned about injury claims. Someone comes to the property (not just the house), trips and does themselves some mischief and then want to claim on your insurance.

Insurers are also concerned about injury claims. Someone comes to the property (not just the house), trips and does themselves some mischief and then want to claim on your insurance.

"We've had random posties, builders and delivery people visiting the property pretty much every day, sometimes several times a day, for many years without incident. Clearly your client is a numpty." :D

James

I think they might try to claim an out if they could relate the cause of the claim to the business.
Suppose, for example , that you were melting wax in the oven and you overheated it and it burst into flames....

I think they might try to claim an out if they could relate the cause of the claim to the business.
Suppose, for example , that you were melting wax in the oven and you overheated it and it burst into flames....
Ah, but it would be covered if you said you were making candles for your own use 😀

"We've had random posties, builders and delivery people visiting the property pretty much every day, sometimes several times a day, for many years without incident. Clearly your client is a numpty." :D

James
I worked from home for several years, all declared to the insurance without a problem. One year they rang with the renewal quote and said: good news, it's gone down, but you can't work from home. Long discussion followed about why business visitors would not be permitted, and the line they kept coming back with was that anyone coming onto the property was an increased liability that they would not cover. It was all nuts.

Less a business, more of a recoup some of the bee stuff outlay exercise!
Hmm Are you doing it wrong?
Been profitable as a hobby here for the past 8 years.
(By profitable , income - expenditure (my time is free) >0)

Good for you, but you're forgetting the cost of starting out, in the first few years, there's a huge outlay, bigger extractor, more frames/supers/foundation, more hives, better stock etc.

Once the size of the operation has stabilised as yours probably have i'm sure there's no doubt you can at least cover your costs, once you've forgotten the intial outlay, or spread it over 8 years.

If you include every bit of honey kit from the Qx onward and all incidental expenses ie travel costs, you will be making a significant loss for your first seasons unless you were charging fifty quid a spoonful.

I had to renew my house insurance yesterday and remember someone mentioning that your insurance can be invalid if you run a business from your home. So while I was chatting to the company I thought I should mention that sell honey from a shelf outside my house with an honestly box.
Well this set the cat among the pigeons and needed many unheard conversations between the operative and his manager to decide if it was a business run from home or a hobby. In the end it was decided that since no one actually entered my house that it was ok and I would be covered but they would not confirm this by email and I was given a reference of the recorded conversation that I was advised to quote should there be any queries in future.

However some lines in their proposal form got me thinking.

Business use

As you've told us that your home is used for business purposes we'll provide cover as long as:

• only one room is used
  • no staff work from your home
  • nothing is sold, manufactured, repaired or restored from your home
The last line intrigued me as I can think of no home business that would be covered because of that last line!
Well I suppose technically the honey is not produced IN your property but in your garden...or on your land outside.Im sure there..wording is a little misleading !

Well I suppose technically the honey is not produced IN your property but in your garden...or on your land outside.Im sure there..wording is a little misleading !
I was thinking that. I know that many companies definition of the meaning of words does not necessarily agree with the Oxford English Dictionary but isn't manufacturing the process of creation or production of goods.

We don't create or produce as the production of Honey is within the hive. We just extract , possibly heat, filter and bottle.

BUT we do of course still sell it from the property!

I’m only in my third year and in the process of building up my stock of hives, so it’s the initial outlay on kit. I’ve mostly bought in the sales or made stuff to keep costs down. Had a good first year with one hive. A shocker last year with the same harvest from 3 hives that I got from one the previous year and a much better one this year but lost three of my 6 to wasps and a queen issue.
There’s probably an economy of scale at some point and I’m now in the position of just needing consumables like fondant, wax or varroa treatment. Costs have also rocketed since I started. I reckon if next year is decent I’ll be cost neutral and will make a few quid.

I’m only in my third year and in the process of building up my stock of hives, so it’s the initial outlay on kit. I’ve mostly bought in the sales or made stuff to keep costs down. Had a good first year with one hive. A shocker last year with the same harvest from 3 hives that I got from one the previous year and a much better one this year but lost three of my 6 to wasps and a queen issue.
There’s probably an economy of scale at some point and I’m now in the position of just needing consumables like fondant, wax or varroa treatment. Costs have also rocketed since I started. I reckon if next year is decent I’ll be cost neutral and will make a few quid.
Under floor entrances make dealing with wasps much easier.

Friends, relatives, childrens' guests, that kind of thing? :D

James
They were perfectly happy with selling to family and friends as they would be on the property, they just didn't want strangers entering the site.

Latest posts

Back