Baker's Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone got any decent prices for fondant? They all seem to be at £9.50/12.5kg this year normally they are a bit variable between the suppliers, they won't even play the game of he's cheaper than you....wanna compete, most boring. Anyone find anything cheaper let me know.

C B

yesterday tried makin my own used all the right quantities but had to use powderd glucose,will this mak a diff as its not setting enough for me to nead it nicely far too runny

Could be you haven't boiled it enough?.
240C is about the temp required and it then requires cooling fast and stirring well, otherwise it will set like toffee rock :(.

John Wilkinson

hi vic
thanx for that must admit too guessing temp and how long to boil it,with the stuff i got now id be part pleased it it set like toffee rock;)

we have not got such a place here on my island pete ill have too pop down to town and hunt 1 out:)

Hi mark,
Try this link. There isn't a convenient one near to HPete's either, and it's raining out, so "go to" the Lakeland store and order one. It will hopefully have stopped raining by the time it comes for the postman to deliver it, unless you have managed to source one in the town of course.

I may be putting in the wrong search criteria but neither Bookers, Costco or Brakes claim to have any fondant, apart from Brakes having chocolate fondant.
PH

yesterday tried makin my own used all the right quantities but had to use powderd glucose,will this mak a diff as its not setting enough for me to nead it nicely far too runny

I did put some instructions for boiling it to the correct temperature without a thermometer, which in any case are hopelessly inaccurate. Putting more sugar in it will not do the trick, nor will reboiling it as by reheating it you will be futher reducing the water content before it gets to the boil. The runny mix you made would still be suitable as feed.or even the rock hard stuff which it may have turned into by now :ack2: But would probably be best to mix with water and until dissolved and feed via a contact feeder. I know it's not what you wanted but better than wasting.

I'll go and look for the instrutions.

Frisbee

It's here- http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=630&highlight=thermometer

Last edited:
well tried again and got it spot on this time:) :)

How do the bees "handle" the fondant when storing it? Do they have to carry in water to liquefy as I presume it is not stored in it's semi solid state?

Is that a tablespoon of glucose for every 2lbs of sugar?

Yes it will be, although I'm sure you could reduce it if you were making in bulk.

How much water is lost on evaporation and what weight of fondant is left?

I'm afraid I don't have enough scientific knowledge to answer the first part of the question, I would imagine and always believed that it is all lost as the mixture will remain at 100c till the water has all evaporated and then you are boiling pure sugar, only then does the temperature rise. The water is in effect purely to dissolve the sugar in. So I would imagine the end weight would be around 2lbs, but I don't know if it would be under or over or dead on.

Frisbee

Thanks Frisbee. I'm trying to work out the cost difference between making and buying the fondant. I have left details with a local bakery who will get back to me with a price for fondant. The cheapest I can get sugar is 15 x 1kg bags for £8.75.

Latest posts

Back